Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Is the total SF finished? We just built in central NC 2 years ago, 2000 SF, 3 bed 2 bath w/office/playroom, with full unfinished walkout basement, brick and stone, custom cabinets with granite, hardwoods ...nice but not extravagant. Not including the 4 acres of land, we were at about 315k which included clearing about 1.5 acres and digging the basement. Our builder was a friend and we did cost plus 10% not to exceed. I had other builders giving estimates from 360-400k.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dale06
Any other comments in cost per ftsq, with the 2250 ranch with similar size walk out basement under it?

Could go down or not . Got a plan and picture of site?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Any other comments in cost per ftsq, with the 2250 ranch with similar size walk out basement under it?

Could go down or not . Got a plan and picture of site?

I do not have the land. Looking at a number of options with realtor next week. No plan, yet. Sorta have a plan in my head, but that’s doesn’t help. We’ve owned seven houses in the last 35 years, so have a sense what we want and don’t want.
Trying to get a sense of building cost so I know what we can spend on land.
Thanks

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

you need to talk to some builders in your area...….everyone has a different idea what high end is......bob

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Brad
Interesting the $900,000 comments. I don't doubt that's the case. I couldn't build that house here in Bozeman, MT for $900,000. My bare-bones cost for an upper-end finished home is $235.00 a sf. That's the bottom, or beginning, of high-end. But everything is pricey here. If it's $900,000 in the upper Midwest, it's more like $1,050,000+ here.

Average mid grade track home is going for about $225-$235 per foot in the Flathead area. One story is a bit more per ft that two story. Of course you gain some $$ in savings the larger it is to a point.

Building myself and subbing ~50%-~60% of the work, I think I could be in the low 100’s not counting my labor. I’m starting to plan building a retirement bungalow, but I’m going to need to figure out that cloning stuff or retire first.

I build stuff in the $600 sf range too... just commenting on apples/apples.

I’m sure you have more talent than me, a basic builder grade house is about as much as I can do. Mostly I buy crap and make decent. I’m out of my league on high end stuff. But the even the entry level stuff here is like higher end stuff 20 years ago. I haven’t seen a basic budget house built for a decade by a builder. My retirement place will be low maintenance and as basic as the wife will allow laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This builder is a lower in builder in our area. He's coming in well below $100 SF heated and cooled. $170,00 for this over 2000 SF house. It has garages and porches on top of that. http://www.rhinetta.com/Sheridan.html

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's a zillow snapshot of the new homes in coastal MS.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/2_p/?searchQueryState={%22pagination%22:{%22currentPage%22:2},%22mapBounds%22:{%22west%22:-89.39062194140627,%22east%22:-88.58724669726564,%22south%22:30.328635864106705,%22north%22:30.815187629429833},%22isMapVisible%22:true,%22mapZoom%22:11,%22filterState%22:{%22isMakeMeMove%22:{%22value%22:false},%22price%22:{%22max%22:300000},%22monthlyPayment%22:{%22max%22:1125},%22built%22:{%22min%22:2018,%22max%22:2019}},%22isListVisible%22:true}

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Women run up the cost of building. Granite countertops, ass washer toilets, fancy tile, tray ceilings.

Around here, bitches think they need to live like faith hill and tim mcgraw no matter their budget.

Men I know, and a couple have- have built commercial type metal buildings with several bays and 1000sq ft of living space on one end. THEN, go find a woman. Preferrably an older milf that ain't got stars in her eyes.

stupid hoes

Ha! Exactly the method I used to find #3! Not a metal building but a 1300 sq ft brick house with 25x30 metal in the back. Oh, and if they believe you're broke and still hang around that's your sign or at least a good sign. I supplied two of them with nice houses. Even a backwoods cousin humper can learn hard lessons.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

In my area, typically, the SF price is for finished living space that does not include the basement. I'll explain:

First a ranch with an attached garage is the most expensive house to build. Because it has the most excavation, biggest footer and biggest roof. A ranch with an integral garage is second and and a 2 story with an integral garage is always cheapest. It's always cheaper to go up vs out.

Just to give you an idea of cost.
I would go with $200.00 SF for the 2250 SF on the first floor.
$75.00 - $100.00 SF for finished basement area. It's less because you only have to build walls and cover floors. The ceiling was provided by the floor above.
$50.00 SF for garage area. Because you don't have to cover the floor or build interior walls.

The sky is the limit when it comes to interior finishes but this should get you close. Above all else talk to a couple of builders. Give them a set of basic plans and ask for a budget number. That's the only way you will get a cost you can count on.

Last edited by bobinpa; 08/04/19.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
950,000 for this 3-4 bedroom ranch.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Its gotten to the point of being insane. Not the cost of construction, but what people feel they need to have to live a relatively nice life.
Million + is a starting point for the new construction around here, and most times its one or two people doing the purchasing. See a lot of them moving in and moving out really quick.
Hard to understand where the money and financing is coming from. From where I'm standing it looks like a repeat of a couple decades ago. But yet Just in my area another 10,000 homes going in, along with all the new infrastructure and shopping. Sure isn't the rural area it was when I bought.

Phil

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Get ready to put out a grand a month in property tax. Non deductible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Women run up the cost of building. Granite countertops, ass washer toilets, fancy tile, tray ceilings.

Around here, bitches think they need to live like faith hill and tim mcgraw no matter their budget.

Men I know, and a couple have- have built commercial type metal buildings with several bays and 1000sq ft of living space on one end. THEN, go find a woman. Preferrably an older milf that ain't got stars in her eyes.

stupid hoes

Ha! Exactly the method I used to find #3! Not a metal building but a 1300 sq ft brick house with 25x30 metal in the back. Oh, and if they believe you're broke and still hang around that's your sign or at least a good sign. I supplied two of them with nice houses. Even a backwoods cousin humper can learn hard lessons.....

We gots us a double wide, it's the bomb.
Subtractin' about a grand per acre for the land, it works out to about $95 a SF.
We gots a 30'x22' metal shop too. An a farwood shed. An a fence round the backyard for the pooches. An we's surrounded by public land where the deer and the antelope play.

I do sometimes think it woulda been nice if'n the previous folks had put in a triple wide, them sonsabishes are really big an keep the cost of Square footage down too.

California sucks. wink

Geno

PS, OP, good luck with your build. From what I've seen in many places, the folks on here are pretty close. Start around $200/SF and go up from there depending on location, contractor, and your desires for upgrades. Have fun.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I built a new one a year and a half ago near Rigby Idaho. Its 5200 total square feet. But the basement is unfinished so only half of that is completely done, about 2600 finished. It has an oversized 4 car garage with bigger doors and a 20'x50' pull through bay.

I drew the home and then had it engineered and then generalled it but didn't really do any of the physical work. It's got high end granite, 11' walls upstairs, 9' down. 17' vault, 2,5 finished large baths up. 2 unfinished down. Gas fireplace up and woodburning stove down. Covered porches front and back. Solid hand scraped hickory floors and lots of other upgrades.

It's a fairly efficient floor plan and kind of ranch style with a craftsman look. Not a high end place but middle of the road with up grades. With an acre of land, well, and septic I figure I spent about $360,000. The basement is fully framed and will cost me about $25,000 to finish. It appraise for $600,000 as it is now.

I sold my last home that was about paid off and a rental home I had a paid cash for it so I didn't have to deal with a construction loan. I paid my subs fast in whatever form they wanted and managed to compete it in a little over 6 months. Nice not having a payment because my health has taken a dive.

I got a quote on it from some generals and they wanted $470,000 to build it without a lot of the upgrades I did. The builders are making some money in this market. It was a bit stressful but it turned out well and I over built a lot of things a builder wouldn't have done. Thicker osb on the roof and walls, raised hill trusses, better insulation. Doubled joists on longer runs. 8" rebar reinforced on all 6 sides concrete gun room and another one for cold storage.

I've generalled one before but I'm not a builder. Builders working down the street were surprised I beat them done and looked it over for me a few times along the way. Their only comments were that i was overbuilding it and could have done a few things cheaper.

If you have a little extra time, a little knowledge, and can handle stress you can sometimes save money like I did. However subs will try to take advantage of you at every chance as an owner builder. Sometimes your better off with a good general.

Bb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bobinpa

In my area, typically, the SF price is for finished living space that does not include the basement. I'll explain:

First a ranch with an attached garage is the most expensive house to build. Because it has the most excavation, biggest footer and biggest roof. A ranch with an integral garage is second and and a 2 story with an integral garage is always cheapest. It's always cheaper to go up vs out.

Just to give you an idea of cost.
I would go with $200.00 SF for the 2250 SF on the first floor.
$75.00 - $100.00 SF for finished basement area. It's less because you only have to build walls and cover floors. The ceiling was provided by the floor above.
$50.00 SF for garage area. Because you don't have to cover the floor or build interior walls.

The sky is the limit when it comes to interior finishes but this should get you close. Above all else talk to a couple of builders. Give them a set of basic plans and ask for a budget number. That's the only way you will get a cost you can count on.

Good info here

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should have been more specific on the 4500 ftsq.
Thinking of a ranch, with basement, walk out. So 2250 sqft on main floor and same in basement. Should have specified that initially.

Including 5 acres, around $700,000 in Elbert County, CO.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

be sure to insure it & have fire hydrants close by..........

https://www.ksl.com/article/46610206/fire-destroys-25000-square-foot-holladay-home

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I built a new one a year and a half ago near Rigby Idaho. Its 5200 total square feet. But the basement is unfinished so only half of that is completely done, about 2600 finished. It has an oversized 4 car garage with bigger doors and a 20'x50' pull through bay.

I drew the home and then had it engineered and then generalled it but didn't really do any of the physical work. It's got high end granite, 11' walls upstairs, 9' down. 17' vault, 2,5 finished large baths up. 2 unfinished down. Gas fireplace up and woodburning stove down. Covered porches front and back. Solid hand scraped hickory floors and lots of other upgrades.

It's a fairly efficient floor plan and kind of ranch style with a craftsman look. Not a high end place but middle of the road with up grades. With an acre of land, well, and septic I figure I spent about $360,000. The basement is fully framed and will cost me about $25,000 to finish. It appraise for $600,000 as it is now.

I sold my last home that was about paid off and a rental home I had a paid cash for it so I didn't have to deal with a construction loan. I paid my subs fast in whatever form they wanted and managed to compete it in a little over 6 months. Nice not having a payment because my health has taken a dive.

I got a quote on it from some generals and they wanted $470,000 to build it without a lot of the upgrades I did. The builders are making some money in this market. It was a bit stressful but it turned out well and I over built a lot of things a builder wouldn't have done. Thicker osb on the roof and walls, raised hill trusses, better insulation. Doubled joists on longer runs. 8" rebar reinforced on all 6 sides concrete gun room and another one for cold storage.

I've generalled one before but I'm not a builder. Builders working down the street were surprised I beat them done and looked it over for me a few times along the way. Their only comments were that i was overbuilding it and could have done a few things cheaper.

If you have a little extra time, a little knowledge, and can handle stress you can sometimes save money like I did. However subs will try to take advantage of you at every chance as an owner builder. Sometimes your better off with a good general.

Bb

Well done! Anybody that wants to act as the general will usually save money as you did but there are also some people that are too big for their britches and get in over their head and that can sometimes be expensive. So I guess my point there is that saving money shouldn't be the only reason someone would want to be the general. Homeowners acting as generals can usually save time too because the decisions are instant. Nothing worse than having to chase down homeowners to get answers to questions or having to schedule meetings to get answers. As you said, if you have some knowledge, you can usually do a nice job and save some money. Congrats on your success!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jerrys
Get ready to put out a grand a month in property tax. Non deductible.

really ?

$1K/month.............WTF ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.