Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I bought a pair of Zamberlan GTX boots and wore them to the top of Kilimanjaro. They boots were hard to adjust and beat to crap after one hike (admittedly a long and very rocky hike). So, they went back.

What’s the consensus for boots for hiking and backpack hunting in the Western US?

I live in eastern Washington, but hunt in Western WA, eastern WA, sometimes OR or ID and Alaska.

Comfortable and durable are the targets.

Insulated would be nice, but probably not necessary.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current Salewa Mountain Trainer GTX (I think that is the model) are the most comfortable serious hiking boot I've ever owned, and I've had a number of good boots from early Merrills, One Sport, Danners, Asolo, and several other name and unknown brands.

As you know, a lot depends on your foot, which boot company last fits your foot best, etc. I generally am easy to fit and don't blister or have much boot trouble. The Salewa's are so comfortable I knock around town in them more than any previous serious boot. Much of their wear time has been in misty coastal rain, snow and wet brush, with gaiters and sometimes rain pants, the rest on the east side. Very stiff sole good on steep talus etc. and I have worn them quite a bit with Katoola micro-spikes though not with crampons. They are a little stiff for a trail boot, about right for my ramblings off trail.

Second Ascent in Seattle is a good place to check for boots if you live close enough. New and used, usually at very good prices, close-outs etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I switched to Lowa Hunter GTXs, but may try a Scarpa at some point.

Kenereks, Danners and the other "good" boots would last less than one hunting season. Lowas seem to be good for 3 seasons for me in AK, ID, MT and WY, if they're waxed and oiled regularly.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I’m tagging onto this as I’m also looking.
Iv’ e been eyeing the crispi nevada’s.

Last edited by Stilllearning; 08/05/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I switched to Lowa Hunter GTXs, but may try a Scarpa at some point.

Kenereks, Danners and the other "good" boots would last less than one hunting season. Lowas seem to be good for 3 seasons for me in AK, ID, MT and WY, if they're waxed and oiled regularly.

This....

I love Kenetreks but I'm in this boat too. One season and they are destroyed.

I'm still searching....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Okanagan
My current Salewa Mountain Trainer GTX

The Salewa looks VERY good... early season I wear a very similar looking Salomon Quest 4D-3-GTX. Outstanding comfort. Been using this model for the last 8 years.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/quest-4d-3-gtxr.html#1191=9861

Later when it's cold/snowy, I wear a pair of 400 gram insulated Cabela's Meindl Perfekt's.

KG Bootguard will really help any leather boot last longer.

Backpacking late spring, summer, early fall I wear low hikers...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kilimanjaro was tough on the boots because of the lava rock and scree. However, my wife’s Solomon GTXs are none the worse for the wear.

John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Keen Targhee II or III... best hunting/hikers I have had.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I also wear Keen Targhees. As I got older, the balls of my feet spread. The Keens are the only brand I've found that really fit me well. I have 1 hunting season in them and they seem to be wearing like iron.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Kilimanjaro was tough on the boots because of the lava rock and scree. However, my wife’s Solomon GTXs are none the worse for the wear.

I hunt mountains/desert with lots of rock too. My boots are literally shredded after one scouting/hunting season but I put more miles than most on them. Frustrating.

- Greg

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My current Salewa Mountain Trainer GTX (I think that is the model) are the most comfortable serious hiking boot I've ever owned, and I've had a number of good boots from early Merrills, One Sport, Danners, Asolo, and several other name and unknown brands.

As you know, a lot depends on your foot, which boot company last fits your foot best, etc. I generally am easy to fit and don't blister or have much boot trouble. The Salewa's are so comfortable I knock around town in them more than any previous serious boot. Much of their wear time has been in misty coastal rain, snow and wet brush, with gaiters and sometimes rain pants, the rest on the east side. Very stiff sole good on steep talus etc. and I have worn them quite a bit with Katoola micro-spikes though not with crampons. They are a little stiff for a trail boot, about right for my ramblings off trail.

Second Ascent in Seattle is a good place to check for boots if you live close enough. New and used, usually at very good prices, close-outs etc.

These?

https://www.amazon.com/Salewa-Mount...&hvtargid=pla-434985549542&psc=1

- Greg

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I really like my Crispis. They have done very well in the mountains of Idaho the last 2 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Currently wearing Kenetreks, but durability isn't that great. Especially considering the price of their boots and rebuilds. I do have to say K-trek has been trying to make it right with me though and I'll see how things go. The k-treks I've worn are waterproof which is a big deal for me.

I wear Salomon 4D GTX for kick around summer hikers and they are comfortable, but usually leak eventually and I need a water-proof boot most of the time.

I really want to try some Crispi's next time, but I've never even tried a pair on and talking with the rep at Black Ovis my narrow foot might only work well with a few Crispi models.

The old Meindl Perfekt's were about the most durable boot I've used. Don't know how the new ones hold up

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW

These?

Greg, the Salewa boot I have is the MS Rapace GTX, which is apparently no longer made. My bad for the earlier post. I bought them 3 or 4 years ago and made my first post from memory, but just now got the boot and read the inside label. They were a lot more expensive when I bought mine than the current GTX Trainer.

https://www.rei.com/product/881741/salewa-rapace-gtx-mountaineering-boots-mens

Lots of good boots now made. I mention the Salewas as merely a good one to check out. I hadn't planned to spend that much on a boot as I am slowing down, but they felt so superbly comfortable the moment I tried them on in the store that I bought them and have liked them even better than expected.

Mine have considerable miles on them in wet and dry, and have been in on two Pope & Young elk, about ten deer, an unsuccessful moose hunt, one black bear, coyotes, bobcats, lynx, wild berry picking and some backpacking. They have not been in lava fields.

Re lava & boots: I totally wore out and shredded a new pair of leather boots in one afternoon exploring a lava tube cave in WA State. Inside the cave the lava was unweathered and sharp as fresh broken glass and diamond abrasive.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Greg,

I looked the Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid GTX Hiking Boot up on Amazon, and according to the reviews, these might be better.

Salewa Men's Rapace GTX Mountaineering Boot

outdoorgearlab.com rates the Salomon 4D GTX the highest for hiking with a pack on.

For the Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid GTX they say "This super stiff and stable, durable midweight hiker is built for the alpine environment, but not for comfort.."

Originally Posted by GregW

These?

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/05/19.

John Stark.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks David - one day I'll find a boot I hope that holds up...

I may snatch a pair and see how long they last....

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Salewa Mountain Trainer Low. They’re super rugged, leather lined, comfortable, and supportive. I’ve had them a little over a year. The GTX has Gortex and isn’t leather lined. Other than that, they share the same construction.

https://www.salewa.com/en-us/men-trekking-hiking-shoes

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm probably going to end up with one of the Salewa's mentioned (Mtn Trainer Mid or Rapace). I'll be following along this thread.

Can we please remove Danner from the list of "good" boots now?

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have 3 years on a pair of Vasque St Elias GTX's including 3 trips in the Andes Mountains most of which on sharp rocks and difficult climbs/descents and am happy with them. They are still in excellent condition except the rocks have taken their toll on the soles. They will be fine for this upcoming hunting season but will be replaced for the next trip to Peru. I wear these boots a lot. The are very comfortable, waterproof, breath well, and stable in rocks. I should have most likely been using heavy boots in the Andes and will buy a heavier pair for the next trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I have 3 years on a pair of Vasque St Elias GTX's including 3 trips in the Andes Mountains most of which on sharp rocks and difficult climbs/descents and am happy with them. They are still in excellent condition except the rocks have taken their toll on the soles. They will be fine for this upcoming hunting season but will be replaced for the next trip to Peru. I wear these boots a lot. The are very comfortable, waterproof, breath well, and stable in rocks. I should have most likely been using heavy boots in the Andes and will buy a heavier pair for the next trip.

Years ago, when Goretex 1st came out, Vasque is one of the companies who about put them out of business. I bought a pair of Vasques with the new membrane and it was terrible. It leaked like crazy. The 1st companies to use it didn't bother to seal any of the seams. They just sewed and sold. Goretex quickly got a reputation for being worthless. They finally refused to sell the membrane to any company who didn't rigidly follow their instructions on sealing it. They even demanded to make inspections of the assembly plants. No clothing maker who didn't comply could put the Goretex name on their stuff. It took them a long time to get their reputation back.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.