Print Thread
Hop To
C
chain Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I’m looking for a spot in the Dakotas or anywhere for that matter that my wife and I can bring our Britts and pheasant hunt. Looking for info so we can DIY it. Thanks Everyone e.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
check your pm

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
chain Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pick any of the following: Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, or eastern Montana. All have abundant public land and generally decent hunting on it. Check with the state game department for lists of public hunting areas (including Federal, state, and private land leased through programs such as "Walk in Hunting) and maps of bird counts to help make your pick. My favorite are Kansas and Nebraska as their seasons run later into the year, the weather is generally not as harsh in the late season, and and they have quail and often prairie grouse available to fill out the day.

I prefer any of the states other than South Dakota due to hunting pressure. SD publicizes its pheasant hunting heavily and draws many Hunter's. There are plenty of areas to thin out the Hunter's but there are only so many places to stay. Leasing private land is a big business and can get very spendy. $150/gun/day for just access is a common price in the popular areas. Not to say accessing private land in the other states is easy or free but I have had better luck knocking on doors in other states.

I would also stay south of I-94 in North Dakota until I reached the Missouri River and then would hunt inside that to the Montana border. Still, the best hunting would be south of I-94 as a rule.

In any event, reserve a room early, especially in the first two to three weeks of the season. Rooms tend to fill up quickly and it can be a pain finding someplace to stay at the last minute or even a couple months in advance. You might be competing with deer Hunter's for rooms and land too so watch for when those seasons open.

Late season is the best to obtain rooms and minimal competition with other Hunter's but weather can range from pretty mild to downright brutal and hazardous to life. Being caught out in a blizzard can be life threatening in many ways and it could keep you out of the field for several days while roads get plowed out. I've had more below zero days hunting late season than snow which has its own problems to address for both Hunter and dog particularly if there is any sort of wind. On the other hand, one could find warm 20-50 degree temperatures which make for a fun day outside.

I hunt at least one of these states per year over the last 30+ years and is what I have done. Other than South Dakota where I hunt with a group who has connections to private land nearly all is done on public land. With a little work and effort one can plan out a successful DIY hunt in any of the above states.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pm sent

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Pick any of the following: Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, or eastern Montana. All have abundant public land and generally decent hunting on it. Check with the state game department for lists of public hunting areas (including Federal, state, and private land leased through programs such as "Walk in Hunting) and maps of bird counts to help make your pick. My favorite are Kansas and Nebraska as their seasons run later into the year, the weather is generally not as harsh in the late season, and and they have quail and often prairie grouse available to fill out the day.

I prefer any of the states other than South Dakota due to hunting pressure. SD publicizes its pheasant hunting heavily and draws many Hunter's. There are plenty of areas to thin out the Hunter's but there are only so many places to stay. Leasing private land is a big business and can get very spendy. $150/gun/day for just access is a common price in the popular areas. Not to say accessing private land in the other states is easy or free but I have had better luck knocking on doors in other states.

I would also stay south of I-94 in North Dakota until I reached the Missouri River and then would hunt inside that to the Montana border. Still, the best hunting would be south of I-94 as a rule.

In any event, reserve a room early, especially in the first two to three weeks of the season. Rooms tend to fill up quickly and it can be a pain finding someplace to stay at the last minute or even a couple months in advance. You might be competing with deer Hunter's for rooms and land too so watch for when those seasons open.

Late season is the best to obtain rooms and minimal competition with other Hunter's but weather can range from pretty mild to downright brutal and hazardous to life. Being caught out in a blizzard can be life threatening in many ways and it could keep you out of the field for several days while roads get plowed out. I've had more below zero days hunting late season than snow which has its own problems to address for both Hunter and dog particularly if there is any sort of wind. On the other hand, one could find warm 20-50 degree temperatures which make for a fun day outside.

I hunt at least one of these states per year over the last 30+ years and is what I have done. Other than South Dakota where I hunt with a group who has connections to private land nearly all is done on public land. With a little work and effort one can plan out a successful DIY hunt in any of the above states.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I am planning my first pheasant hunting trip for after Christmas this year. I have a 15 month-old field-bred springer. I live in Pennsylvania so I will be working her on grouse and stocked pheasants earlier in the season. I intend to travel to the Midwest after Christmas for a few days of hunting. I was planning on Iowa because I can suffer through a 15 hour drive in one day. Is that a bad option? I know public land is limited but I have found some public areas on maps that I intend to try. Would I be better off driving farther west? Thanks for any help.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I prefer Kansas or Nebraska over Iowa for a few reasons.

First, bird numbers seem to be higher over the last decade or more as many CRP acres and other habitat were removed for higher crop production. What is left is heavily hunted and/or difficult hunting much like MN.

Second, Iowa is a little more limited on other birds: quail and Huns are possible but much less likely than in the past. They are definitely bonus birds these days.

Third, hunting hours are a half hour before sunrise to sunset which gives more time to hunt compared to Iowa's 8:00 AM start. That is an extra day over a week's hunt. It also gives one a chance at birds still in night roosting cover which can be easier hunting than loafing or feeding areas,

Fourth, Kansas has a 4 rooster limit rather than three which is nice if you get lucky early in the day.

Fifth, Kansas seems to have better late season weather with shorter duration blizzards and a quicker recovery time to get back into the fields. I've been caught in ice storms that made driving impossible in the morning but had burned off by noon. Further north and it may have taken days to get to the same point.

Sixth, I detest long, forced drives as they leave me tired and groggy not to mention unsafe on the road. I find it much better to do 10-12 hours (depending on how I feel and conditions) and hit a motel. Then make up the rest the next day. I may lose up to a half day of hunting but it beats getting into an accident or starting off tired and never catching up. This is a real beech on the way home.

Iowa is not a bad place to hunt, it just isn't what it used to be. I don't find it to be much different than home which makes it a little harder to fork out the non-resident fees. I generally latch on with friends who have relatives down there so we get by for cheap or I hit the northern counties in a combo state hunt with MN when the seasons coincide. Then a 3 hour one way drive isn't so bad.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks woodmaster. I think I will aim to hunt Kansas. The Smoky Hills are about 18-19 hours from home but may be worth the added drive. I drove from Philadelphia to Wichita once with my only stops being gas fill-ups. Breaking it up would make more sense if I can get the time away from work.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Smokey Hills are a favorite of mine, it's an 8-9 hour drive for me. I can leave early in the morning and get a couple of hours of hunting in that afternoon. I particularly like that there are a number of towns in that area with the same names as towns near where I hunt in MN, it is fun confusing buddies where I'm hunting in January.

When I was young I didn't think I minded marathon drives but a near miss coming back from a trip to western Nebraska in 2002 and another coming back from Quill Lake, Saskatchewan in 2005 convinced me to break things up. This is especially true if leaving at an unconventional time or on the way back. The Quill Lake trip was terrible as we left 10 PM to arrive the next afternoon to scout fields. I arrived dog tired and never caught up as we often left the motel at 3 AM and did not finish the day until nearly 10PM. Driving home, we all looked like zombies and drove as if drunk after a few hours. Both trips I had someone with me but one does not sleep well in a pick up truck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks. Unfortunately, I will probably be alone (except for my dog). A friend of mine says he might go but he usually cancels at the last minute.

Anyway, I have been going over maps and like what I see. I have an area in mind. The pheasant hunting forum says there are no birds in the area but I figure the locals want to keep outsiders away. I am hoping to see some pheasant and quail. Even if I can't find any roosters, getting my pup an opportunity to flush a bunch of hens would be an good experience for her.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.