Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a case where bullet diameter per se makes a difference, but a 130 TTSX or TSX out of a 30-06 or 308 at 3150-3300 FPS give or take is not what would classically be described as a deep penetrating bullet. I have killed a lot of deer with them and seen an lot more killed with them. They have never shown me much deference to bone. They seem to go through bone every bit as easily as they do soft tissue. I have no doubt that bone can deflect one of them, and may be capable of and by itself at normal impact velocities of breaking off petals though I Have only seen that happen once at that was out of a 300 WM at 25 feet. That said though, If I have to stop something big that is intent on doing me harm That bullet in a Remington 760 with a full magazine behind it Is what I want in my hands. That speed makes a difference in not having to worry so much about a moving target. The recoil is considerably reduced whit just plain makes any follow up shots faster and more accurate. With the possible exception of elephant I cannot see a modern mono not being able to penetrate the bone necessary to stop anything in it's tracks if it's 80 grains or heavier. I would not expect a 70 grain TSX in .224 diameter out of a .223 being enough different than a 130 in 30-06 that I could see a difference.

Were I looking to just shoot one, I would prefer a different load. If I am going to double lung something that might hurt me I want the ability to take out both shoulders and the heart along with the lungs, I would opt for a little heavier bullet.

The monos are very accurate and very dependable after impact. Dependable enough that only the best of the bonded premiums even come close, and then they will not normally match the penetration of the monos.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my thought is : bigger is usually better and people that brag about all the animals they kill with smaller diameter bullets like a 223 cartridge ,i wonder just how many animals they wound ,the real truth ? i like what 1AKshooter posted and agree if it might eat me i want my 338 Winchester Mag. too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MILES58
Not a case where bullet diameter per se makes a difference, but a 130 TTSX or TSX out of a 30-06 or 308 at 3150-3300 FPS give or take is not what would classically be described as a deep penetrating bullet. I have killed a lot of deer with them and seen an lot more killed with them. They have never shown me much deference to bone. They seem to go through bone every bit as easily as they do soft tissue. I have no doubt that bone can deflect one of them, and may be capable of and by itself at normal impact velocities of breaking off petals though I Have only seen that happen once at that was out of a 300 WM at 25 feet. That said though, If I have to stop something big that is intent on doing me harm That bullet in a Remington 760 with a full magazine behind it Is what I want in my hands. That speed makes a difference in not having to worry so much about a moving target. The recoil is considerably reduced whit just plain makes any follow up shots faster and more accurate. With the possible exception of elephant I cannot see a modern mono not being able to penetrate the bone necessary to stop anything in it's tracks if it's 80 grains or heavier. I would not expect a 70 grain TSX in .224 diameter out of a .223 being enough different than a 130 in 30-06 that I could see a difference.

Were I looking to just shoot one, I would prefer a different load. If I am going to double lung something that might hurt me I want the ability to take out both shoulders and the heart along with the lungs, I would opt for a little heavier bullet.

The monos are very accurate and very dependable after impact. Dependable enough that only the best of the bonded premiums even come close, and then they will not normally match the penetration of the monos.

So in a nutshell, what kills better? Monos or "premium" bondeds, cud and core?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
With the same bullet placement a .223 and a .338 will have the similar results, sometimes.

Shoot them in the earhole, same result, dead animal. No tracking required, both cartridges.

Broadside, in the ribs/double lung, same result, dead animal. Tracking will be required, both cartridges.

Broadside, point of the shoulder, the .338 will be much superior. 2 broken shoulders, with minimal tracking. I wouldn't try this shot with a .223.

Quartering away, the .338 will be one you want. Tracking will still be likely with the .338, it is not a shot to take with a .223.

Facing at you, middle of the chest/base of the throat, again the .338 will win out. A .223 may or may not get this done.

If dangerous game is around, whether you are hunting them or not, the .338 is the one to carry.

Hunting season is short and deer and elk meat are valuable, at my house. I'll take the larger caliber every time, and not worry about only shooting under perfect circumstances. We don't hunt over bait or out of tree stands or out of blinds. We still hunt on public land, in steep/thick timber, with plenty of other hunters, including wolves. A standing broadside shot is not often offered. If it is, for you, and you have the discipline to wait for it.......use the 223.

I'll take the .338, every time. (I should clarify that elk and deer season here overlaps. I choose a cartridge/bullet combination that will get all the above examples done on a mature bull elk.)

Andy3

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of mono's. One of the Pastor's at my church is a pretty successful moose slayer and two of his children hunt with him. One of the rifles he has for his son is and old Mod. 99 in .300 Savage. He asked me about bullets and I told him to try a 130 grain Barnes TTSX. They hunt from tree stands and he said his son fired three of those X bullets at the moose at about 250 yards and the moose ran off and they tried for two days to find it before giving up. He was sick about it and said he is done with X bullets. I also was sick about it and wish I had not recommended any bullets to him. He could not say for sure where the moose was hit, but was certain the first shot was in the lungs.

I was just trying to suggest a load that would not beat his small son to death and still kill the moose. Maybe the first bullet did not expand and maybe the son missed the moose on the two follow up shots, ya got me.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Could be lots of reasons there, not including the particular bullet.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Monos. Every time. In my hands they will go where I want them, which is not a certainty with cup and core bullets of any type.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by pete53
my thought is : bigger is usually better and people that brag about all the animals they kill with smaller diameter bullets like a 223 cartridge ,i wonder just how many animals they wound ,the real truth ? i like what 1AKshooter posted and agree if it might eat me i want my 338 Winchester Mag. too !

Zero animals wounded and lost with a rifle. Two lost with arrows, and one of those I am certain was picked up off the freeway on the Friday night before deer opener here. The vast majority of them were killed with 243 and larger though and <twelve with .223/.222/.22lr/.222 mag. A few needed a second dose. All of those needing a second dose were killed with cup and core bullets. Never had a deer killed with Monos that needed a second dose. Did have a few I shot with monos cause me some concern in that they ran off looking healthy and didn't bleed near enough.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Monos. Every time. In my hands they will go where I want them, which is not a certainty with cup and core bullets of any type.

I didn't ask which bullets your rifles shoot better, I asked which bullets killed better. If you don't know just say "I don't know".

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Speaking of mono's. One of the Pastor's at my church is a pretty successful moose slayer and two of his children hunt with him. One of the rifles he has for his son is and old Mod. 99 in .300 Savage. He asked me about bullets and I told him to try a 130 grain Barnes TTSX. They hunt from tree stands and he said his son fired three of those X bullets at the moose at about 250 yards and the moose ran off and they tried for two days to find it before giving up. He was sick about it and said he is done with X bullets. I also was sick about it and wish I had not recommended any bullets to him. He could not say for sure where the moose was hit, but was certain the first shot was in the lungs.

I was just trying to suggest a load that would not beat his small son to death and still kill the moose. Maybe the first bullet did not expand and maybe the son missed the moose on the two follow up shots, ya got me.

A 129gr Interlock from my 6.5CM killed a bull moose. I am very positive that if the son had put a 130gr TTSX from a full steam 300 Savage in the ribs and hit the lungs/heart, that was a dead moose. I suspect the son did not hit the moose properly, if at all.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I didn't ask which bullets your rifles shoot better, I asked which bullets killed better. If you don't know just say "I don't know".

I think his meaning was straight line penetration in the animal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman

I think his meaning was straight line penetration in the animal.

That wasn't the very, very simple question either.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I agree, but it was closer. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How difficult is it to understand a one word sentence? The two word sentence might make better sense with comprehension issues on the fire, but even given taht, it is still small unambiguous words.

I believe monos kill best by a good margin and I no longer use anything else whether I am shooting a ML rifle or regular centerfire at deer.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I believe monos kill best by a good margin and I no longer use anything else whether I am shooting a ML rifle or regular centerfire at deer.

Nah...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How difficult is it to understand a one word sentence? The two word sentence might make better sense with comprehension issues on the fire, but even given taht, it is still small unambiguous words.

You ain't done much killing then...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Now we are off to the races..
You would think it was late Jan. or Feb. and everyone had "cabin fever"..
lol

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I know a couple of younger Alaskans who have killed several moose and grizzlies with .223's, partly because they grew up in the bush so weren't exposed to Internet sites, so didn't know they couldn't. Was introduced by Phil Shoemaker, who can vouch for them, if he cares to. But often Phil is a long way from Internet access, and too busy to bother.

After doing some big game hunting here and there, which also involved watching a lot of other people shooting various animals, I have become less convinced that bigger bullets make all that much difference for most hunting, as long as the bullets expand and penetrate the vitals. Among other things have seen elk of all sizes crumpled by lung shots with bullets fired from cartridges not only considered inadequate by many Campfire members, but some cartridges illegal for elk in more than one state. The quickest-deadest bull moose I've killed was taken with a lung shot from the dreaded .270 Winchester, and the hunter didn't even use a magic monolithic, but a 150-grain Nosler Partition at a boring 2850 fps.

I also know a woman who, on her very first big game hunt, killed three African plains-game animals--an impala, gemsbok and blue wildebeest--with one shot each from a .243 Winchester. Many Internet experts think the .30-06 with monolithics is "adequate" for gemsbok and wildebeest, but a .338 is better. She used a .243 Winchester with 85-grain Partitions, and I suspect she thinks the .243 is one of those really powerful cartridges often mentioned here.

Also just got word from another friend (who's on a safari right now) that his wife took her first animal, a zebra stallion with one shot from the dreaded 6.5 Creedmoor, and not only didn't use a monolithic but not even a Nosler Partition. Instead the bullet was a 143-grain Hornady ELD-X. But of course we ALL knows that's impossible....

I know who that is smile

And Roy Weatherby did it with an 87 gr 257 Weatherby n the 50s. But, then lets all s h i tcan our 375s and go hunt everything with a 223.

PS: I'd rather turn vegan than get caught with a Creedmoor (arguably the best caliber to come down the pike in fifty years)//

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Judman

You ain't done much killing then...

Maybe not compared to some on the fire, but I have been killing 4/year for as many years as monos have been available and I started with original Xs. Before that I had to use things like core-lokt which are OK. Been loading since '56 for CF rifles and have at least tried out most of what has been available to me.and used a lot of different calibers in the process.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 13 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.