Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Suspect a few Browning HP, CZ, Sig, and 1911 model fans, based on accuracy, reliability, grip feel.

What has been your fave non-polymer 9mm? Thoughts are for a range and car/home PD use, likely 4-5" barrel.

Fixed or adjustable sights?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
CZ 75 D compact.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
CZ-75... Or 85 if you are lefty like me.
Followed closely by Hi-power.

If I was going for class over comfort... I'ld reverse that order.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Beretta 92F for me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Browning Hi Power, Beretta 92, and CZ 75 P-01 Compact. A close contender would also be the Kahr K9. Not a Sig P-Series fan.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
P7 or P88

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S&W Third Gen double stack, any which one will do.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Browning HP, SIG P220, 1911

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S&W Model 39

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For your use, I'd also be asking the question steel or aluminum frame?
Although to me "range" and "car/home PD" use are two different things as far as what trigger action may be preferred. I do see that a big common attribute between the two is since you don't need to carry it, you can afford a heavy, easy to shoot pistol.
Since the sights shouldn't get much "carry abuse", I'd consider adjustable, especially if you want to hit stuff on the range.

Just based on looks and "cool factor", I think the Hi-Power is one of the dead sexiest looking pistols ever made.
I luv me some 1911 too, but 9mm and Hi-Power just go together.
All that said, I've never owned a Hi-Power. But if a really sweet deal on one ever pops up . . .

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My CZ-75 and my Colt Government in 9mm.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

P7

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
CZ 75 BD for a full size 9mm and a CZ P-01 for a compact model.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P7m8. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beretta 92 Centurion, G Model.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Suspect a few Browning HP, CZ, Sig, and 1911 model fans, based on accuracy, reliability, grip feel.

What has been your fave non-polymer 9mm? Thoughts are for a range and car/home PD use, likely 4-5" barrel.

Fixed or adjustable sights?

Always liked the Browning Hi-Power although I never owned one, just shot those owned by friends.

The de facto favorite is a Beretta 92FS since that's what I carry in the car and shoot at the range the vast majority of the time.

Fixed sights but I bought a replacement rear sight from Beretta that has three different height interchangeable blades held in place by opposing set screws, so it offers some elevation and windage adjustments. Got it set to print right on top of the front sight at 15 yards.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For sheer cool and laser accuracy I’ll take a 210.

For utility and affordability it’s the BHP for me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sign 226 or Beretta 92

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My first place winner : 1911. 2nd place :Browning Hi-Power

Both designed by genius John Moses Browning.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Favorite is Sig Sauer P225.

P226 for OWB.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Colt Commander and S&W 6906....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Love me some S&W 6906.....just don't fall in the creek with it!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
[Linked Image]

Can't beat the P7's

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No love for the Kahr K9? Damned innovative for when it was made. First PPK sized, single stack, striker fired, 9mm to hit the market, and they were pretty reliable. Although I didn't get a Kahr till they came out with the P9 a few years later. In the twenty years I've had mine, having shot in excess of five thousand rounds through it, I've yet to experience any kind of failure to fire when the trigger was pulled on a loaded chamber.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
BHP

Old guy, old guns.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[Linked Image]

Can't beat the P7's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No love for the Kahr K9? Damned innovative for when it was made. First PPK sized, single stack, striker fired, 9mm to hit the market, and they were pretty reliable. Although I didn't get a Kahr till they came out with the P9 a few years later. In the twenty years I've had mine, having shot in excess of five thousand rounds through it, I've yet to experience any kind of failure to fire when the trigger was pulled on a loaded chamber.

I've had the K9 longer than probably anybody here. Proof is that it is an electroless nickel finish, which was soon discontinued. If you base it on which I have carried the most and am likely to carry the most in the foreseeable future, that would be my favorite. Smoooth DAO trigger. Not too light, not too heavy (both the trigger and the gun). Never a wear or corrosion problem anywhere. Very accurate, and yes reliable. Never a bobble with factory ammo or proper handloads (didn't like some poorly sized loads the HiPower ate without complaint). Thousands of rounds through it (I've lost count). Yeah, I love it.

Favorite full-size would be the HP. Favorite "wish I had one but won't pay the price" would be the P7M8.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I thought the same about the P7 until I owned a couple. They were OK, but IMO are very overrated. Nice collector pieces for sure, but for a shooter a lot of modern pistols have surpassed them (by a long way) in my experience. They do have a certain flair though, without question. I've always been more interested in shooting than collecting, so mine went on down the road.

I think my favorite steel frame 9mm pistols are the CZ75 series and Tanfoglio (EAA Witness) pistols, with a caveat - they almost all need some internal polishing and other work to be smoothed out and have great triggers. The match versions of both brands are generally capable of excellent accuracy and are very mild to shoot when tuned right.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/05/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
CZ P0-1 Tactical
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/415001903/CZ-USA+P-01+OMEGA+9MM+GREY+14%2B1+NS

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 08/05/19.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If money is no object:

Other wise, another vote of CZ-75 and Sig-228.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Yondering
I thought the same about the P7 until I owned a couple. They were OK, but IMO are very overrated. Nice collector pieces for sure, but for a shooter a lot of modern pistols have surpassed them (by a long way) in my experience. They do have a certain flair though, without question. I've always been more interested in shooting than collecting, so mine went on down the road.

I think my favorite steel frame 9mm pistols are the CZ75 series and Tanfoglio (EAA Witness) pistols, with a caveat - they almost all need some internal polishing and other work to be smoothed out and have great triggers. The match versions of both brands are generally capable of excellent accuracy and are very mild to shoot when tuned right.

Shooting the P7 is the best part of owning one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Pretty empty comparison, your preferred pistol that needs work and you think a P7 is surpassed today. Overrated? Well again a mighty empty bowl you are serving up.

I do know that I have owned many and still do own several P7s that will out shoot almost any production gun out of the box. I have never honed or polished a single one and they all have performed exceptionally well. They are about the most ergonomic pistol, sitting low in the hand with a 4.13 inch barrel in what would be impossible for any competitor to have a shorter overall slide configuration with that barrel length. The barrel is fixed in the frame and makes it extremely accurate and polygonal rifling will make the barrel practically impossible to wear out.

They are extremely robust and will function reliably with a recoil/delayed blowback design and a fluted chamber that will still extract a fired case should the extractor fail or break. The grip gives a great purchase and easily pointable sight acquisition and yet the magazine is straight up and down with the most reliable functioning magazine you can get. The magazines alone will withstand a cinder block being dropped on them from over 2 feet and still function.

Expensive? Yes. Overrated, surpassed, not really...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Sig P210-6, the old model. Laser like accuracy and flat shooting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ElJuero
Sig P210-6, the old model. Laser like accuracy and flat shooting.

I remember when those came into the country in large numbers back in the 1990s, retired from the Swiss military and police due to replacement with a more modern handgun. I think they were going for around $400.00 apiece. I was working at a LGS when this happened, and could have gotten a nice employee discount, but was too short on money, and couldn't justify it, other than for cool factor (I mean, come one, a single stack 9mm of that size?). Now I regret not picking one up. They were all in nice mechanical condition.

[Linked Image]

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Learned a lot by the feedback, appreciate all. Missed a few P7s over the years, always curious about them, sounds like ahead of their time. Kahr's - yes they are solid, no flies.

Read about possible ammo FTF...with BHP....anyone? Are they all same re: ramp/chamber design? Seems I read certain JHP may not feed well.

Many solid choices. Not one mention of a Springfield EMP? Anyone try one?

Good stuff folks - appreciate all replies.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Pretty empty comparison, your preferred pistol that needs work and you think a P7 is surpassed today. Overrated? Well again a mighty empty bowl you are serving up.

I do know that I have owned many and still do own several P7s that will out shoot almost any production gun out of the box. I have never honed or polished a single one and they all have performed exceptionally well. They are about the most ergonomic pistol, sitting low in the hand with a 4.13 inch barrel in what would be impossible for any competitor to have a shorter overall slide configuration with that barrel length. The barrel is fixed in the frame and makes it extremely accurate and polygonal rifling will make the barrel practically impossible to wear out.

They are extremely robust and will function reliably with a recoil/delayed blowback design and a fluted chamber that will still extract a fired case should the extractor fail or break. The grip gives a great purchase and easily pointable sight acquisition and yet the magazine is straight up and down with the most reliable functioning magazine you can get. The magazines alone will withstand a cinder block being dropped on them from over 2 feet and still function.

Expensive? Yes. Overrated, surpassed, not really...

could not agree more

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
CZ-75
Steyr GB

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The one in the rear.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
hi power

FJB
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
P7
Browning hi power
M9

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Learned a lot by the feedback, appreciate all. Missed a few P7s over the years, always curious about them, sounds like ahead of their time. Kahr's - yes they are solid, no flies.

Read about possible ammo FTF...with BHP....anyone? Are they all same re: ramp/chamber design? Seems I read certain JHP may not feed well.

Many solid choices. Not one mention of a Springfield EMP? Anyone try one?

Good stuff folks - appreciate all replies.

Iv'e shot my brother inlaws EMP and it's a pretty nice, seems very reliable from many range sessions!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Firestar. It’s the onlly all metal 9mm I have. Plenty accurate and very reliable.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
CZ 75D PCR Compact

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RufusG
S&W Third Gen double stack, any which one will do.

Agreed and throw in the S&W 3913. Very nice guns. Especially like the 6906.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EdM
The one in the rear.

[Linked Image]

Good looking S&W.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We moved an actual crate, 4’x4’x3” wooden crate, of P7s through the gun shop when I had worked there about a year. I shot some of them and they were easy to shoot and superbly accurate. Could have bought one for $400 but just couldn’t really get interested at the time.
Same story on the Swiss trade in 210s but they were about a grand. Wanted one of them but couldn’t justify it to myself at the time.

Wish now I’d have bought a couple of each but haven’t figured out time travel as of yet.

My wife did get me my current BHP as an anniversary gift for $200 when she was working the counter there. I had to give $400 for hers as a birthday gift the next year.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Browning, of course.
Bob

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
John McClane and Martin Riggs may have had their Beretta 92s, but Axel Foley went with a Browning Hi Power.

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Gotta go with the Hi Power.

Dick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a SIG X-5. A superb gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Firestar. It’s the onlly all metal 9mm I have. Plenty accurate and very reliable.

I had one in their "Starvel" finish (hard chrome, IIRC). Nice shooter. Accurate and reliable, yes. A pleasure to shoot. Every example I handled though, had kind of a sketchy thumb safety. Traded that for the K9, which is also why I never bothered with the EMP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Origional West German Sig P226

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
30 years ago - Browning HP, today - CZ P01...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Plenty love here. Have a PM9 amd MK9.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Money might be a factor, but a STI or Chambers double stack 1911 is a Ferrari. A Wilson or Langdon Beretta will spoil you as well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
CZ 75, any version. (Being left-handed, mine is an 85B)

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The original CZ-75 and S&W 39 would get my nod from a reasonably practical using standpoint. Mine make it out to the range fairly often. For old timey fun, though, grabbing the bitsa P-08 is a hoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carried the H&K P9S all over creation for a couple of years. Accurate, ergonomic, and accurate.

Should also mention that it was accurate...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
I carried the H&K P9S all over creation for a couple of years. Accurate, ergonomic, and accurate.

Should also mention that it was accurate...

I remember seeing those at the gun stores back in the early 1980s. I handled one, and thought (at that time) that the trigger action was very innovative.

Also, if you ever played the original Resident Evil 2 you will recognize it as Officer Kennedy's sidearm. After you kill many dozens of zombies fighting your way back to the police station (as Officer Leon Kennedy), you acquire a shoulder stock for it, permitting the three shot burst feature, which allows you to kill zombies even easier.

Wait a minute. On second thought, I think I'm remembering the VP 70Z.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

It wasn't a comparison at all. I didn't say the CZ75 is my preferred pistol, I said it was my favorite steel frame 9mm, which is what the OP asked for. There are a number of other pistols I like better that are not steel frames. I don't carry a CZ75, and don't leave one in the car or on the nightstand.
The P7 is a great choice if we pretend it's still 1975. But compared to a lot of modern guns - the appeal of the P7 is mostly nostalgia, not performance.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/06/19.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Browning Hi-Power, with magazine disconnect removed, P-7, and P210. Be Well. Rusty

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Walther P88-C / Walther P5 / Beretta Brigadier INOX / Beretta 92SB Compact M / Fabrique National Hi-Power / and the CZ 85 Combat.

Also a Beretta Billennium : All steel construction, single-action only, adjustable trigger, front & rear sights, etc.+ . . .

<> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IEVMs7J4v9I/maxresdefault.jpg <> 1 of 2000

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Finishing this one up; still needs a good 5 lb duty trigger job.

Military contract MK III (no FPS), cerakoted, sights worked on by Justin McMillan, Uncle Mikes stocks. Awesome pistola-basic, reliable but not "pretty". Destined to be a fave.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the re-contoured factory rear sight. White stripes and grooves removed, serrations added. A perfect combat rear sight...black, fixed and serrated. Big enough to see without being too big. Front sight got the same treatment. Justin McMillan, former master AMU gunsmith, did the work.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 08/07/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reading theses posts,and trying to come up with an answer,
keeps me thinking, "yes cool, but a XXXXX is lighter, smaller, and holds more rounds
doing it. Which isn't the answer to this question, but it was enlightening to me.

P-7, I wish they were lighter. The nicest shooting 9 i have ever fired.
Maybe a box through.

Beretta 92, have fired several, really like them for a big gun. Prefer the Taurus safety.

I almost bought a Sig p-938 a couple months ago used.

Been looking for a similar deal since.

So, if I'm willing to let go of dollars for one.....

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, re: post about Steel frames, I mentioned all metal, to include alloy frames as well. Just non-polymer.....

Learning a great bit of info here by all, appreciate posts and pics. Thanks to all.

Read the Hi Power sometimes has a feeding issue....perhaps with JHPs, has anyone had that or know of it happening?

Thanks again.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good stuff, re: post about Steel frames, I mentioned all metal, to include alloy frames as well. Just non-polymer.....

Learning a great bit of info here by all, appreciate posts and pics. Thanks to all.

Read the Hi Power sometimes has a feeding issue....perhaps with JHPs, has anyone had that or know of it happening?

Thanks again.

Supposedly the older guns with the humped feed ramp have issues with JHPs. My experience with several BHPs is to shoot the particular gun and see. Most I've shot didn't have any feeding issues. Many custom smiths straighten the feed ramp when tuning an older BHP. Newer guns like the MK III have a straight ramp.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK

Military contract MK III (no FPS), cerakoted, sights worked on by Justin McMillan, Uncle Mikes stocks. Awesome pistola-basic, reliable but not "pretty". Destined to be a fave.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the re-contoured factory rear sight. White stripes and grooves removed, serrations added. A perfect combat rear sight...black, fixed and serrated. Big enough to see without being too big. Front sight got the same treatment. Justin McMillan, former master AMU gunsmith, did the work.
[Linked Image]

Nice! I like everything about that one, except the safety lever.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have never had an opportunity to lay hands on a Baretta. But I helped my buddy pump rounds through a SS Taurus 92 which was built shortly after Taurus purchased the Brazilian factory from Baretta.

The Taurus 92 shot well with everything we threw at it. The only malfunction I ever saw was when my 12 year old daughter limp wristed it.

And based on performance of a Witness in 38 Super, I could be happy with either model in 9 mm.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have never had an opportunity to lay hands on a Baretta. But I helped my buddy pump rounds through a SS Taurus 92 which was built shortly after Taurus purchased the Brazilian factory from Baretta.

The Taurus 92 shot well with everything we threw at it. The only malfunction I ever saw was when my 12 year old daughter limp wristed it.

And based on performance of a Witness in 38 Super, I could be happy with either model in 9 mm.

the beretta wins the beauty contest, but the tarus is the dodge power wagon. when they first started coming in, they didn't have the decocker, just a on/off safety.
i put thousands of rounds of fmj, lead, jcp all kinds of stuff through one, never and issue.
the later ones coming in had the decocker.
I have shot the beretta 92 brigadeer too and it's a well made pistol. but kind of big and heavy compared to others.
i think the cz line of 75's is a later rendtion of a hi power in a lot of ways.
one not mentioned here but i think should be is the sauer p6 in government issue, and 225 for civilian use.
on the p6 change out the springs to lighten and you have the 225.
only 8 round capacity but they are accurate.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks above Bob for info on feeding and pics, nice BHP above.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
S&W 5903 alloy frame adjustable sights. The 5900s got the look; not alike but same type beauty as the Hi Power. Like the Model 15 in revolvers. Just got the look. And work pretty well too. Factory adjustable sights add to it and enhance function.

Last edited by shootem; 08/07/19.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Springfield Armory EMP 4" is my all time favorite all metal auto.

Virgil B.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
Love my BHP Practical model

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toss-up................Beretta 92 Compact or Sig 225-A1, after that a full sized 92 A1.

MM

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sentimental fave...my old LAPD 92FS, carried daily in LA for many years. New barrel and slide (2nd slide installed by the Armory because the original had lost almost all the finish). This one has had in excess of 30,000 rds down range (free city ammo). A good friend that's never malfunctioned.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 08/08/19.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Toss up for me between S&W 3rd gen and Beretta 92FS

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Beretta M9, of which I have 2, nd a new to me S&W 5906.

[img]http://imgur.com/gallery/2mPBZzd[/img]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
CZ 75D PCR

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by LJBass
CZ-75... Or 85 if you are lefty like me.
Followed closely by Hi-power.

If I was going for class over comfort... I'ld reverse that order.

Frankly, I like the Tanfoglio copy of the CZ-75 even better than the real thing, the smaller-framed ones, at least, before they made the "one size fits all" things. I had a CZ-75, nice gun, but the Tanfoglio was better than my very early CZ. I've also had four Hi-Powers, and like them just as well. A couple of them were REALLY great shooters, the other two, not quite as good. All in all, they are top-notch.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff folks! Thanks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kennymauser
S&W Model 39

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!

Damn fine nine.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I will have to go with my sentimental favorite, The Browning Hi Power..2nd choice, my Kahr K9 stainless..

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sig 228, it's the only one I have left. CZ75 for a close second unless you have a Kadet upper for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pardini GT 9

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Browning HP. E

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Browning Hi-Power . Be Well. Rusty

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite all steel 9mm would be the Star BM. It is still a keeper.

Harry
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Luger. Hey, you asked!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Luger. Hey, you asked!

It'll do...could do a lot worse!
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Honorable mention to the hi-power and the cz75/variants. But have to go sig 226. Pair of slim alum grips, short reset trigger, action job, the thing is beastly fast and still accurate. As art, it leaves me cold. DA /SA and hammer release, blech - 1980’s and popped collars. But as function? Bedside pistol. Complete confidence in. Feels like an offensive weapon.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK
Luger. Hey, you asked!

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob, that Luger is in fine shape. Enjoy.

My brother has my Dad's P38 he brought back. It's in good shape, but still not as nice as that Luger.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Luger. Hey, you asked!

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't afford a real Hi Power, but I do have an FEG clone, and I really like it. I'll go with the Hi-Power.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RGK
Luger. Hey, you asked!

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice! Mines in decidedly worse condition but presentable. 1915 DWM. I bought it 35 years ago from an old guy whose older brother brought it home from France after WWI. I should dig it out and snap a pic of it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Browning hp, although I love the beretta 92 compact

Last edited by JackVliet; 08/13/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Browning HP.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One can never really have too many Hi Powers...this one was purchased with my monthly GI Bill check, new in the box, in 1980. Shoots superbly in stock mode, without any modifications.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 08/14/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZ 75B.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Springfield Armory EMP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1911, Browning Hi-Power.

I would love if SIG made a 9mm 1911 RCS.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/5212/945468854/wm_8952840.jpg

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Probbly the only 2 I have left...the rest are gone...beretta 92 for a full size and a sig 938. Only small hand gun that I have owned that was actually pretty darn accurate

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
S&W 639 with round trigger guard or S&W 39-2

I bought the 39-2 just a month or two after turning 21. The 639 flew with me off of Libya.

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/16/19.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dan Wesson Valor V-Bob...
[Linked Image]

The only all steel 9mm I own and it carries a tremendous amount of sentimental value.

Last edited by Stump Buster; 08/16/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Too bad Axel Foley doesn't know how to hold a handgun, like many in Hollywood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BHP followed by Sig P226

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff - nice pics. That Luger looks like a nice shooter, they seem to be a well made piece of engineering.

Reckon Bill Ruger designed his Mk I after it in looks and grip angle?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Really like my Ed Brown 1911 KC9 with the Ionbond metal treatment

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi-Power, hands down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I may have a new favorite. I just got to put a few rounds through one of these...

https://fimegroup.com/alpha/

Went right to busting clay targets at 50 yds, without any warm up with this unfamiliar pistol. And everything said about it in this video, I agree with without reservation...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nb0uxy_QMig

Definitely not a gun for daly carry - but man, it makes me look like I can shoot!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sig M11
Can’t believe all of the 92 love- must be a lot a guys with big hands. Shoots well enough, but the egos suck for me

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aluminum alloy framed HP....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A 459 Smith. Double stack, adjustable sights. The FBI used them for years, so tested. What's not to like?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I think I may have a new favorite. I just got to put a few rounds through one of these...

https://fimegroup.com/alpha/

Went right to busting clay targets at 50 yds, without any warm up with this unfamiliar pistol. And everything said about it in this video, I agree with without reservation...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nb0uxy_QMig

Definitely not a gun for daly carry - but man, it makes me look like I can shoot!

That hump looks uncomfortable.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Beretta 92

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
HK P7M8

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More great feedback and pics, nice Ed Brown above. Re: Aluminum frame HP..was one made? Or clone? Thanks all.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.