Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

OK here's the scoop..Ive been around them all my life and actively hunted them for decades..

Add this to the list of things I worry about for you.... wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Thanks everyone! It was a bit startling for a NH couple who've never seen one of them rattle things!

We went last night again to pull the camera, straight in and out, no snakes, just lots of cool antelope pictures :-) We just took our hiking poles and smacked all the bushes and rock piles we had to walk past.

I'm from Texas Born and Bread, lived here all my life. We do have big serious snakes here, though thigh size s a little bit of a stretch. I've seen 'em big around as my forearm but I haven't see a python in a zoo big around as my thighs.

But our snakes are truly dangerous if you step on one or get too close, so I do exactly as you describe, I beat the grass and every where I walk if the ground isn't clear to walk on. And to say a snake would rather get away from you, well that may be true, but it doesn't always happen like that. Some times the snake doesn't know you're there until you're almost on top of him. If you get close to a 6 foot snake he can strike out at least 3 feet. If he's a foot and a half off a trail and you startle him he can strike at you and give you a bad bite. Snake leggings to the hip are the way to go, especially where there there are snakes known to be five-six feet long. and a snake that big is going to inject a lot of venom if he bites you.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hatari

OK here's the scoop..Ive been around them all my life and actively hunted them for decades..

Welllllll.......

I can say that Pacific Diamondbacks can be a little more ouchy than Prairie Rattlers, Copperheads just dont want to be stepped on, and Moccasins just don't give a schitt...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Filaman
I'm from Texas Born and Bread,

Texas toast?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One fang in a foot was enough for me. Boots and pay the f attention since then and in the future.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Welllllll.......

You play with nasty snakes, travel internationally to hot zones, get targeted and almost blown up by terror organizations, train dogs to do all manner of things we don't know about (Wounded Warriors - yeah, wink, wink... "Fido, take this C-4 over to Achmed's hovel and drop it off...")

No, Ingwe is just another ordinary guy that used to sell Berrettas and Glocks down at the store...... (Cue: "Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap...") smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Welllllll.......

You play with nasty snakes, travel internationally to hot zones, get targeted and almost blown up by terror organizations, train dogs to do all manner of things we don't know about (Wounded Warriors - yeah, wink, wink... "Fido, take this C-4 over to Achmed's hovel and drop it off...")

No, Ingwe is just another ordinary guy that used to sell Berrettas and Glocks down at the store...... (Cue: "Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap...") smile

MOI....? whistle

I'm just a harmless old man with a puppy dog....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 08/14/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve lived in Wyoming for 13 years and never seen one, yet. I spend a lot of time outdoors. There’s a section of state land across the road from me that I walk my dog on every day and it’s pretty scrubby. The guy I bought my house from said in 7 years he saw only one rattler. But the big mountain I see from my back porch is named Rattlesnake Mountain, so there’s that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Welllllll.......

MOI....? whistle

I'm just a harmless old man with a puppy dog....

[Linked Image]

Uh, you got blood on yer hands........

and

What a great looking boy.

Slave

P.S. I'm talkin' 'bout the dog, old man.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No venomous snakes here. I do hunt WY for antelope and had a question......do leather boots stop the fangs? How about cordura boots?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wageslave

Uh, you got blood on yer hands........

and

What a great looking boy.

Slave

P.S. I'm talkin' 'bout the dog, old man.

The dog bit me.

we were playing.

Its what I do....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.