Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I'd love to round out my collection with a classic lever whitetail gun. Love the look of the Marlin 336ss models, but have read the odd person complain about fit and finish even on the more recent ones. I would only put a peep on one and would never scope one. What are your thoughts on if you had to buy a brand new one.....which one would you get?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After spending 10 years searching and shopping for the perfect 30-30 with much the same train of thought as you, I suggest neither.

Too many JM model 336's for the same price if not cheaper than a junk assed remlin. Same with Winchesters. You can get a nice used 94's without the Hillary holes (safety's) the new ones have.

I personally love 94's and have mine set up with a Williams Peep. Awesome shooter. I paid $500 for it. It is a very clean deep blued 1980's model 94.

[Linked Image]

Good luck,

Todd

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't buy a new Remington/Marlin unless yo like to gamble. There are too many older, true Marlins around that were made right. The new "Remlins" are hit and miss, with mostly misses. When you get it home and find out it was made wrong, you are on your own,,,,,Their customer service sucks. I'm not a Winchester 94 fanboy, I love the older Marlins, but I'd take one over a new Marlin.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
LOL. Thanks for your contribution. Nice looking rig there.

Last edited by elelbean; 08/05/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new Marlin's are really nice actually. I'm a member over at Marlinowners.com and the complaints about QC have gone way down over the past few years. The new Marlins I look over at my LGS are really nice rifle. And I've owned over 20 Marlin levers so I know what I'm looking at.
The new Winchesters are top notch. And I'm a pre 64 guy. You can't go wrong with either one. I'm not just a guy that owns a lever action. I'm a lever action guy. To hell with bolt guns. laugh

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reivertom
Don't buy a new Remington/Marlin unless yo like to gamble. There are too many older, true Marlins around that were made right. The new "Remlins" are hit and miss, with mostly misses. When you get it home and find out it was made wrong, you are on your own,,,,,Their customer service sucks. I'm not a Winchester 94 fanboy, I love the older Marlins, but I'd take one over a new Marlin.

No the customer service doesn't suck. You're repeating tales. Several years ago I bought a brand new 336Y and the barrel was improperly indexed to the receiver putting the barrel at an angle. Remington promptly replaced it with a brand new Rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brand new? Uh, don't. Shop it...

This one is not far from 40 years old.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're going to put a scope on your rifle, I'd recommend the Marlin. If you're going to shoot it with the factory open sights or a receiver sight, I'd recommend the slimmer Winchester.

Like others have suggested, I think that I'd rather have an older rifle and in my case, I'd rather have a Marlin 336 Sporting Carbine or a Winchester 64.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would only say marlin for one reason...the stock. The straight Winchester stock doesn't fit me at all. No straight stocks fit me actually.

But I think the Winchester is a better built rifle.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
The new Marlin's are really nice actually. I'm a member over at Marlinowners.com and the complaints about QC have gone way down over the past few years. The new Marlins I look over at my LGS are really nice rifle. And I've owned over 20 Marlin levers so I know what I'm looking at.
The new Winchesters are top notch. And I'm a pre 64 guy. You can't go wrong with either one. I'm not just a guy that owns a lever action. I'm a lever action guy. To hell with bolt guns. laugh

The new marlins are nicer looking IMO. I like the way they function a little better. The Remlin stocks are a bit fatter than the older Marlin stocks. Other than that, I like the Marlin and the Winchester. They're still cool rifles!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you go old go 99

Have fun.....j3
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The Marlin 336 and Winchester 94 are both good rifles. Get one of each. They're not very expensive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The early Remlins were crap. Remington had to recreate the drawings and put the manufacturing on modern machinery. That took time.

From what I've seen, the new Remlins are pretty nice.

But all mine are JM Marlins - purchased used and for a song compared to new prices.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Justahunter
After spending 10 years searching and shopping for the perfect 30-30 with much the same train of thought as you, I suggest neither.

Too many JM model 336's for the same price if not cheaper than a junk assed remlin. Same with Winchesters. You can get a nice used 94's without the Hillary holes (safety's) the new ones have.

I personally love 94's and have mine set up with a Williams Peep. Awesome shooter. I paid $500 for it. It is a very clean deep blued 1980's model 94.

[Linked Image]

Good luck,

Todd

Todd, where didja get the leather ammo pack?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Todd, where didja get the leather ammo pack?"

I made it. The bullet loops are made from a cape buffalo I took back in 2007, and the inside is lined with the cape buffalo suede as well.

Thanks for lookin!

Todd

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My experience with 94’s has proven to me that the pre angle eject models are the way to go. I’ve shot several of that vintage with irons and side mount scopes and they’ve been accurate. Angle eject models not so much.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That’s a good shooter.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

"Todd, where didja get the leather ammo pack?"

I made it. The bullet loops are made from a cape buffalo I took back in 2007, and the inside is lined with the cape buffalo suede as well.

Thanks for lookin!

Todd

Ever make one for a customer?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Good luck,

Todd

Familiar looking setup.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
99😎

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

360 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.