Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Old bull No. 178 was taken down by wolves this spring. He was part of the herd that the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has brought in to Wisconsin to feed the local wolf population.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wisconsin is a wealthy state plenty of taxes can be paid for the wolves survival - the things are nearly extinct . Be thankful that there are people looking out for the future of the wolf .

Last edited by ol_mike; 08/05/19.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Livestock owners, pet owners and hunting dog owners would disagree. You sound like one of the animal activists and federal judges that are not allowing the state officials to manage our wolf population.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
smile

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We keep spending money on bringing in more Elk but still do not have a predator management plan.

Expensive woof feed from Kentucky.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I think Ol_Mike is kidding. I am surprised they both lived that long. My land with a cabin on it is about 30 miles south of the elk area. There are wolves all over where my cabin is, so many in fact that I almost never even hunt there , just a day or two for gun season for old time sake and that is about it. The woods is healthier however, since the wolves established about 20 yrs ago. The white pines dont get eaten up and I even seen some Hemlock seedlings. They are always gone by spring however. It is amazing the wolves dont starve, there so few deer. There is a good chance the elk would shave died anyway. it was a very tough winter again up there with 40" of snow on the ground for a while. The deer numbers really went down and by spring I didnt even see a deer when I walked 5 miles and didn't see any by the cabin.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Michigan we haven't had a archery anterless deer season for 5 years in the UP "because of bad winters".....deer cannot recover because deer being wolves main food source.....

Even bear numbers are falling....in late February of 2012 while trapping I found where a wolf pack killed and ate a black bear outside its den didn't look like there was much of a fight....when checking furs in at a DNR office I told the biologist about it she said it was very unusual....I think it happens more than they would like to tell....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 08/06/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is the anti-hunting group's goal from the beginning - use large predators to reduce game numbers to the point that hunting will have to be halted. That was their stated objective 20 years ago. It took them a long time to get their people in positions of power in the USFS, FWS, etc but they got it done. It backfired on them in a couple western states where wolves are now big game animals. They never planned for them to be hunted. They learned from their mistakes and got judges to halt a planned grizzly hunt last fall. I doubt we'll ever see them hunted in the lower 48 again.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This is the anti-hunting group's goal from the beginning - use large predators to reduce game numbers to the point that hunting will have to be halted. That was their stated objective 20 years ago. It took them a long time to get their people in positions of power in the USFS, FWS, etc but they got it done. It backfired on them in a couple western states where wolves are now big game animals. They never planned for them to be hunted. They learned from their mistakes and got judges to halt a planned grizzly hunt last fall. I doubt we'll ever see them hunted in the lower 48 again.

Lol.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That skull seems to be all smiles! laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

Lol.

LOL all you want to but they, themselves, stated this years ago. I read it in one their own magazines. I made a mistake in thinking it was nonsense and didn't keep the magazine as proof of what they said.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Coyotewacker—wolf depredation on Black Bears is well-documented. It is about as unusual as rain in Nevada.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The death of a 14-year old bull and a 25-year old cow found at the end of winter is pinned on wolves?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

Lol.

LOL all you want to but they, themselves, stated this years ago. I read it in one their own magazines. I made a mistake in thinking it was nonsense and didn't keep the magazine as proof of what they said.

I was laughing at how anti-hunters don't really understand how stuff in the wild works or how wildlife management works, yet they want to protect the animals. Sorry I wasn't clear with my response.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My family deer hunted that area for 25 years. We actually rented an old house for deer season from Paul, the guy mentioned in the article, for a few years. We moved on to other areas because the wolves decimated the deer in the there. Like brought it down to 1 -2 deer sightings a season per guy!!

It's all national forest around there so sadly, I'm sure nothing will be done about them.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I will also mention that my BIL and I were harassed for 2 days by a "Ranger" in the national forest while grouse hunting one year. I'd say it was probably 2005 or so. I still remember his name.

He was literally following us around in the woods. Threatened to arrest me for parking on "wild vegetation" when I pulled over to the side of the road.

I did file a complaint with the forest service office in Park Falls, WI. It wasn't the fist complaint against the man, but I had a feeling nothing was going to be done about it.

Last edited by tzone; 08/06/19.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
My family deer hunted that area for 25 years. We actually rented an old house for deer season from Paul, the guy mentioned in the article, for a few years. We moved on to other areas because the wolves decimated the deer in the there. Like brought it down to 1 -2 deer sightings a season per guy!!

It's all national forest around there so sadly, I'm sure nothing will be done about them.

That is a coincidence, T, small world that you knew Paul Canik. That guy has more patience then I would having to deal with wolves. His history with them sounds more like it is taking place in Siberia.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

Well documented that wolves pull bears out of their dens while hibernating

I grew up in NW WI and used to return ever year to deer hunt the rut but unfortunately the wolves have destroyed deer hunting in N WI

Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Michigan we haven't had a archery anterless deer season for 5 years in the UP "because of bad winters".....deer cannot recover because deer being wolves main food source.....

Even bear numbers are falling....in late February of 2012 while trapping I found where a wolf pack killed and ate a black bear outside its den didn't look like there was much of a fight....when checking furs in at a DNR office I told the biologist about it she said it was very unusual....I think it happens more than they would like to tell....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Who was the wolf lover on here ? constantly told how there were deer everywhere - wolves had no bearing on the deer population ?

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Who was the wolf lover on here ? constantly told how there were deer everywhere - wolves had no bearing on the deer population ?

Pole something. Smoker maybe.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,668
Posts18,455,952
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.