Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RandyR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I am considering shooting glasses for deer hunting and have looked at different lens colors. When still hunting I commonly wear clear safety glasses so I don't get a stick in my good eye but wonder if shooting glasses would really help in low light.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Almost always. All are Oakleys, Gold irridium, clear and photo sensitive lenses. I hunt a lot when there is snow on the ground and appropriate lenses are very useful. All have full UV protection which is essential. I also carry goggles for super windy days.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They will NOT help in low light... if they did, we would all be wearing them.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Nope, never.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad wouldn't go bird hunting unless he was wearing his yellow lens shooting glasses. He swore they made a difference. Me, eh.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I wear prescriptions anyway, so yes I do hunt with glasses. Used to just wear regular eyeglasses but found this guy a couple of years ago: rxsportoptics.com I ended up buying a pair built on a Randolph Sporter frame, fitted with his "Sharp Site" tinted lenses. They seem to help the contrast when in the woods and are usable during low-light conditions (although I still pack a pair of glasses with clear lenses for navigating in the dark).

Greg is easy to work with and did a great job on these. I understand that he is now able to build-in "bifocals" in different locations on the lens for those of us who still use iron sights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even if the glasses tint does not aid in target acquisition/id, the added protection against a branch in the ol' eyeball is a good reason to put a lens between your two eyes and the rest of the world.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep. Had a cattail tip scratch my cornea ~25yrs ago. Once was enough. I'm a full-time glasses wearer anyway but I wear something with lots of wrap (safety shield would work too) anytime I'm afield.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Safety glasses for me, either clear or dark tinted, depending on the weather. Always. It's so windy here that my eyes water so badly I can't hunt without glasses anyway.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bird hjnt with a pair of Yellow colored lenses.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe high quality clear lenses with an anti-reflective coating are best in low light. In brighter light tinting and polarization may be useful in some cases to help with glare and brightness, some tints accentuate contrasts between colors, but any tint will reduce the amount of light that passes through...which isn't going to help things in low light.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think a copper tinted lenses help with spotting fish and birds. For deer I only wear them if the sun is in my face, even with anti reflective coatings I have been busted by the reflection of the lenses. The copper color helps in spotting a blood trail. I have found spotty blood trails I had missed when not wearing the glasses after I back tracked with them on.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30 year optician here guys. Here's my take on this. Everyone should definitely wear glasses with polycarbonate lenses, even if you don't have an rx. They are the most impact resistant material out there. There are tons of good quality sport style safety glasses (non rx) out there for very reasonable prices. I made myself a pair of transitions lenses and wore them for deer season up here one year. Didn't like 'em. They stayed too dark, especially if there was any snow on the ground. Made it hard to see back in the woods.

Yellow lenses will brighten things up. Good on a cloudy overcast day. I'm a big believer in anti reflective coating, which usually isn't found on the cheaper glasses. It helps reduce eye strain a lot.

As for bifocals, if you want a pair with bifocals I'd suggest lined bifocals for a couple reasons. 1) Your optician can mount them very low in your frame. This keeps the bifocal out of your way when you're down on the stock lining up a shot. You will have to look into the very bottom of the lenses to read. Basically you'll just use this to fill out a deer tag, but not much more than that. The other reason to go with a lined bifocal in stead of a progressive (no line) bifocal is that the progressives can't be fit low in the frame, than they have noticeable peripheral distortion. You will find yourself turning your head farther to see things off to the sides as the outer areas of the progressive lens have that distortion.

What I do is run my self a pair of single vision lenses for distance in a flat black aviator frame. I wear these for hunting and carry a couple pair of throw away readers with me in my pocket.

Get something big enough to cover up your eye socket. An aviator shape or the popular sports shape wrapped glasses.

You only get one set of eyes guys. Take good care of them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to wear yellow lenses when quail hunting. They really help the little brown birds stand out.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
My dad wouldn't go bird hunting unless he was wearing his yellow lens shooting glasses. He swore they made a difference. Me, eh.

I always wear yellow safety glasses for bird hunting for 2 reasons .....

1. They protect me little eyeballs from pointy sticks
2. The yellow does enhance colours (less greys) and the birds are easier to see.

I used to wear yellow safety glasses all the time at work, esp on nights until I have to switch to corrective lenses for inspection work. The yellow really does help. Try a set.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
30 year optician here guys. Here's my take on this. Everyone should definitely wear glasses with polycarbonate lenses, even if you don't have an rx. They are the most impact resistant material out there. There are tons of good quality sport style safety glasses (non rx) out there for very reasonable prices. I made myself a pair of transitions lenses and wore them for deer season up here one year. Didn't like 'em. They stayed too dark, especially if there was any snow on the ground. Made it hard to see back in the woods.

Yellow lenses will brighten things up. Good on a cloudy overcast day. I'm a big believer in anti reflective coating, which usually isn't found on the cheaper glasses. It helps reduce eye strain a lot.

As for bifocals, if you want a pair with bifocals I'd suggest lined bifocals for a couple reasons. 1) Your optician can mount them very low in your frame. This keeps the bifocal out of your way when you're down on the stock lining up a shot. You will have to look into the very bottom of the lenses to read. Basically you'll just use this to fill out a deer tag, but not much more than that. The other reason to go with a lined bifocal in stead of a progressive (no line) bifocal is that the progressives can't be fit low in the frame, than they have noticeable peripheral distortion. You will find yourself turning your head farther to see things off to the sides as the outer areas of the progressive lens have that distortion.

What I do is run my self a pair of single vision lenses for distance in a flat black aviator frame. I wear these for hunting and carry a couple pair of throw away readers with me in my pocket.

Get something big enough to cover up your eye socket. An aviator shape or the popular sports shape wrapped glasses.

You only get one set of eyes guys. Take good care of them.

About the best advice you are going to get.

Rangers here with interchangeable lens. Light purple for day time. For me light purple enhances the browns of Deer and Birds. Light yellow and clear for early and late.

Single line bifocals, when needed, are also useful for reading your GPS or watch.

As mentioned avoid progressives like the plague.

Last edited by battue; 09/26/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bird (dove) shooting.

I just picked up some wrap-around safety glasses in +1.5 that work well for distance vision and help with iron sights. Gonna start wearing them for hunting, especially the walk through the woods in the dark.

Long overdue at the eye doc, among others.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hate glasses!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I hate glasses!

Almost the same as a motorcycle racer saying they hate helmets, a fireman his suit, a welder his glass.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by hanco
I hate glasses!

Almost the same as a motorcycle racer saying they hate helmets, a fireman his suit, a welder his glass.

I dislike them very much....but either have to wear them or contacts. Most of my dislike of glasses is related to fogging and hunting in the rain. I do however, understand and appreciate the protection they offer....as well as the comfortable view when my eyes need a rest from contacts.

I recently picked up a pair of RX shooting/safety/sun glasses. I went with polarized brown lenses as I'd been wearing copper/brown as regular sunglasses for many years and I like the contrast they offer. I like them in bright sunshine and overcast conditions but like any tinted lens they suck as the light fades in evening. I like this frame so much that I may pick up another pair just like it with clear RX lenses for shooting/hunting. I've used it for lots of driving, shooting, weed eating, etc over the past 3 weeks and couldn't be happier.

If you get your RX from your optometrist there are a number of places you can order online. Tactical RX sent me a lot of frames to try on and return. After that it was simple to make the order online. I went with the SOB frame and I'm very happy with it. Tactical RX also offers most of the same frames in non-RX as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
244 members (1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.