K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Several weeks ago I started a thread posing the question, how will we know when it is "time"?

John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache.

Exactly 😀

Can someone fill the rest of us in. What's that mean?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Red Flag laws will be the same as Domestic Violence complaints. No judge is going to deny one and catch the blame for not taking someone’s guns and a shooting happening.

It will really depend on the jurisdiction. Around here, if a protective order is opposed and contested, it is seldom granted.

How many Emergeny ROs (I’m uncertain of what y’all call them) are turned down? That’s a better comparison ‘in the moment.

I spent 20 yrs in LE in South Jersey and don’t ever recall a TRO (temporary restraining order) being denied. The domestic violence case workers know exactly how to coach the “victim” to get one issued. The system was put in place to protect victims but quickly became a way to get the upper hand in a divorce, custody battle or just getting the boyfriend or husband thrown out of the house/apartment for the weekend.

hunter4623,

I spent over 30 years "pinned to a badge" & served for several years as a City Marshal. = Unfortunately, I know all about ABUSE of "protective orders", & ABUSE of "tip lines" by ANGRY ex-wives, jilted girlfriends & just plain CRACKPOTS.

For just one example: Our office was seeking a 19YO & VERY dark complected A-A male, who had robbed a local convenience store of about 200.oo, using a large butcher knife as a weapon. - Our Mayor insisted that we "set up" a "tip line" & offer a 1500.oo reward for "information leading to the arrest & indictment of the armed criminal". - The local newspaper printed a photo, from the store's security camera of the robber, too.
Over the next 3 days, until I talked the Mayor into "withdrawing the reward & disconnecting the 'tip line' ", we received & "worked" a total of 78 complaints & "hot tips" off of the recorded line.

Of those 78 complaints that were "called in" & that we "looked into", only SIX of the men, who were reported to our office as "likely suspects", were even BLACK males. - Further, those supposed "likely suspects", that were reported to our office, ranged in age from 16-71 years of age.

Of all of those who called-in "HOT tips", the "complaining witnesses" were divided into 4 main categories:

1. ANGRY & VINDICTIVE ex-wives,
2. Jilted (& about equally angry/vindictive) former girlfriends,
3. CRACKPOTS, who knew NOTHING about the robbery but wanted to "make a complaint" about something, that they were ANGRY or were just upset about
4. People who just HOPED to claim the 1500.oo reward, though their "likely suspect" did NOT even vaguely fit the "general description" of the knife-wielding criminal
and
5. Persons who were "members" of more than one of the first 4 groups.

Our office over the next week also had FIVE male subjects, who came into our office & wanted to confess to the robbery.- Only ONE of the 5 "confessors" was a Black male.

Btw, one of our Deputy Marshals caught the robber, as a result of apprehending him for an unrelated DWI about 8 days later.
( He pled guilty to the armed robbery & served 4 years in the state penitentiary. )

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 08/06/19. Reason: addenda/typo

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
All of your concerns are why I say that a bond should be required. Put up or shut up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Several weeks ago I started a thread posing the question, how will we know when it is "time"?

John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache.

Mike Beltran has a long mustache.
[Linked Image]

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My friend just told me a story of a man that had 300 guns and all accessories and ammo taken under a red flag law. He went to court, and prevailed, but the govt refused to give anything back. Don't ask me how, I don't have more details, but I just bought a sheitload of his ammo so it's for real.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My friend just told me a story of a man that had 300 guns and all accessories and ammo taken under a red flag law. He went to court, and prevailed, but the govt refused to give anything back. Don't ask me how, I don't have more details, but I just bought a sheitload of his ammo so it's for real.

Florida.

LOL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I posted this personal anecdote before, but because it is about how red flag type laws work in the liberal paradise of California, here it is again...expect this to happen nationwide. As a reminder, I'm a lawyer, I've practiced before the US Supreme Court and I've had Second Amendment articles published in law reviews, yet the judge simply refused to respect the Constitution and knew there was nothing I could do about it short of taking the case all the way to the Supreme Court, which I wasn't planning on.

"My cousin (who lives in California) got into an argument with the business next door to his. There was no violence, no threats of violence, just two business owners arguing over parking spots.

In California, though, not only are there "red flag" laws there are all sorts of other laws that allow for the confiscation of firearms. My cousin's business neighbor happened to be over 65 years old and he filed for an "elder abuse" restraining order against my cousin. The order was granted and the court ordered my cousin to give up all of his firearms.

I went to court on behalf of my cousin to argue that the elder abuse law was never intended to be used for business disputes and even if there was a basis for its use in this case, any gun related orders should only apply to the place of business, not my cousin's home. I argued that by issuing the order over a parking spot dispute the court was leaving my cousin without adequate means of defense in his home, something that even the Heller decision found to be covered by the Second Amendment.

No dice, the court refused to budge and agents came to my cousin's house and confiscated all of his guns and ammo.

The CA law had "due process" provisions yet the judge simply ruled that they had been complied with, as I had an opportunity to argue my position in court, and that satisfied due process requirements."

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remsen
I posted this personal anecdote before, but because it is about how red flag type laws work in the liberal paradise of California, here it is again...expect this to happen nationwide. As a reminder, I'm a lawyer, I've practiced before the US Supreme Court and I've had Second Amendment articles published in law reviews, yet the judge simply refused to respect the Constitution and knew there was nothing I could do about it short of taking the case all the way to the Supreme Court, which I wasn't planning on.

"My cousin (who lives in California) got into an argument with the business next door to his. There was no violence, no threats of violence, just two business owners arguing over parking spots.

In California, though, not only are there "red flag" laws there are all sorts of other laws that allow for the confiscation of firearms. My cousin's business neighbor happened to be over 65 years old and he filed for an "elder abuse" restraining order against my cousin. The order was granted and the court ordered my cousin to give up all of his firearms.

I went to court on behalf of my cousin to argue that the elder abuse law was never intended to be used for business disputes and even if there was a basis for its use in this case, any gun related orders should only apply to the place of business, not my cousin's home. I argued that by issuing the order over a parking spot dispute the court was leaving my cousin without adequate means of defense in his home, something that even the Heller decision found to be covered by the Second Amendment.

No dice, the court refused to budge and agents came to my cousin's house and confiscated all of his guns and ammo.

The CA law had "due process" provisions yet the judge simply ruled that they had been complied with, as I had an opportunity to argue my position in court, and that satisfied due process requirements."

And let me guess who gets the proceeds from the sale of said merchandise, the State?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.