Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by boliep

Go to the Stockman Cafe in Oklahoma City for any meal. It is a fantastic place to eat and not expensive either. I think it can also
be known as the Cattleman's Cafe.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ds_City_Cafe-Oklahoma_City_Oklahoma.html

Its Cattlemen's Steakhouse and its in Stockyard City.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=OSU_Sig]NE New Mexico, Hwy 72, called the Johnson Mesa road between Folsum and Raton is a beautiful drive. OSU is right. Take the time and go this route. If you spend the night in Raton you might check out Melody Lane Motel. I stayed several times over the years. When I stayed there it was populated by shooters visiting the Whiitington Center and state law enforcement. The last time I stayed in June of 18 it was being run by Indians. It is inexpensive, clean, and safe.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you come thru Ft Smith AR and your hungry I'd suggest AJ's Oyster Bar, its the only place I eat at in Ft. Smith. Its a small place, during peak hours it can be difficult to get a seat. Obviously, they serve Oysters but I go for the Cajun and other seafood dishes, the crawfish etouffee is really good, crab cakes are awesome, but no matter what you order be sure to get a au gratin tater cake, they are amazing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
[quote=OSU_Sig]NE New Mexico, Hwy 72, called the Johnson Mesa road between Folsum and Raton is a beautiful drive. OSU is right. Take the time and go this route. If you spend the night in Raton you might check out Melody Lane Motel. I stayed several times over the years. When I stayed there it was populated by shooters visiting the Whiitington Center and state law enforcement. The last time I stayed in June of 18 it was being run by Indians. It is inexpensive, clean, and safe.

I’ve never stayed in Raton, but drive through there 3 or 4 times a year. Beautiful country but just looking at the locals it always looks like a pretty sketchy town to me. Always makes me glad I’m armed when I gas up there.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I really appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming since I'll be checking this throughout my trip.

Dave_Skinner: my plan was to do exactly as you suggested. I'll be hustling up there and then taking my time on the way back with my son. He worked up there leading crews all summer and I'm excited to see him.

I was going to fly him home but I had mentioned i might drive up there and he really wanted to road trip home with his dad so that is why I'm driving. I figured if my son wants to spend that much time with me I'm a pretty lucky dad and I'll drive cross country to make it happen.

duckcall: We hit the Tooth of Time trading post pretty hard a couple years ago when I did a trek with my sons. I know he's wearing it out this year. It is a great place. Thanks again -tnscouter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I’ve never stayed in Raton, but drive through there 3 or 4 times a year. Beautiful country but just looking at the locals it always looks like a pretty sketchy town to me. Always makes me glad I’m armed when I gas up there.
You are right, Raton is a poor town. Probably has the problems that go with that. New Mexico is a poor state and votes liberal a good bit of the time.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
You are right, Raton is a poor town. Probably has the problems that go with that. New Mexico is a poor state and votes liberal a good bit of the time.

Here's the crime data for Raton. http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Raton-New-Mexico.html This might make for an interesting new thread, but beginning in 2009 Raton's property crime rate went from well below the national average and climbed to well above it. I have a hunch if you explored that you'd find a political change that coincided with the change in property crime rate.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I generally choose to stay in Clayton instead of Raton when I’m heading that way. Smaller quieter town and rooms are cheaper. As said before Capulin is pretty cool, went up there once years ago and the inside was covered in millions of ladybugs. If you’re hitting I40 on the way home Jigs BBQ outside of Clinton OK gets rave reviews though I’ve never eaten there. Cattleman’s in OKC is good but spendy and expect a wait at about any time of afternoon and evening. They do have a good house beer at Cattleman’s and you can eat the GHW Bush special.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Raton isn't too far from the Eagles Nest/Red River area. If you like to fish for trout or fly fish, it might be worth an extra day to head over there and see that country. Really nice this time of year, but being the last week or two before school starts, may be wall to wall people too.

You could stay in the haunted St James hotel in Cimarron. Old place, still has bullet holes in it from the wild years.

Personally I would skip Cadillac Ranch.

I'm not a real big fan of the Big Texan, except that it is famous, and may be worth the stop just to say you did, and take a few pictures. Cattlemans in OKC is the place to stop if you want a good steak on your run down I-40. Probably the best one you will get on your trip.

Palo Duro would for sure be a nice side trip, but it's gonna be hot down in the bottom. If you could combine seeing "Texas" one evening while you were in the Canyon, that would make a pretty good combination.

Panhandle Plains museum in Canyon is good too.

If you need reloading supplies, then Gene Sears in El Reno is a good stop. Not much browsing per se, they are mostly a distributor. But tell them what you want and they probably have it. Small storefront, but huge stockroom in back. Not open weekends though, just weekdays.

When you pass through Shamrock, give a wave. I live 30 miles south of there.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 08/07/19.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Raton also is the entrance to the Vermajo Ranch

600,000 acres owned by Ted Turner

You can drive through a good portion of it. Lots of game

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
cowboy hall of fame is a great place.

NRA Benefactor life member
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
tnscouter,

The Washita Battlefield National Historic Site in Oklahoma is well worth a visit, or at least my wife and I thought so. It's where George Armstrong Custer thought he learned how to fight large camps of Plains Indians in 1868, which ultimately led to his death on the Little Bighorn in Montana eight years later.

Better yet is to visit both sites, but Montana is a long side-trip from your basic route.

A few years ago the wife and I visited the Little Bighorn battle site, it was an absolutely beautiful day,cool and not a cloud in the sky. We had planned to be there a couple of hours and ended up there most of the day. There was a very informative presentation given at the museum (the museum is small but very interesting with a lot packed into the small area) by a Native American that was as well given as any we have attended. We haven't had an opportunity to visit the Washita site but would like to some day.
Didn't intend to hijack the original OP but had to refer back to JB about Little Bighorn site.
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This response may be a little late, but while you're at Philmont, take the tours of the Waite Phillips mansion and the Chase Ranch. Also, the Scout Museum. Everything's free and well worth seeing. I was at Philmont earlier this week. If you're in need of a meal or room, the St. James Hotel in Cimarron.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by boliep

Go to the Stockman Cafe in Oklahoma City for any meal. It is a fantastic place to eat and not expensive either. I think it can also
be known as the Cattleman's Cafe.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ds_City_Cafe-Oklahoma_City_Oklahoma.html

Yes sir "Cattleman's in Stockyard City" just off the south side of I-40 when going through OKC don't miss it...

I do not think anyone has mentioned the Valle Vidal just north of Cimarron the south entrance is east of town a few miles camping and trout stream pretty country...get a Ranger map and go through it well worth it you can drive all the way through and catch the HI way that leads back through Taos.... This borders Vermejo Park Ranch on the west side

Last edited by okie; 08/08/19.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Cut north at or west of OKC.
Some kewl mountains in NW OK that one would never know existed on the I-40 route.
Dalhart TX and then a bunch of grassland on the eastern NM plains with a bunch of Pronghorns.
Come back down I-25 to Vegas then SR104 (Be careful coming down Tremintina hill, it will get ya if ya at the bottom aren't aware )to Tucumcari then I-40 back to TN
The Armstrong/American (?) college building in Vegas is worth a look, at least to me.
As you hurtle east bound on 104 you might recognize the gas station from the original "Red Dawn" movie, the big red Rock "bluff NW of Vegas is al;so in the movie.

Last edited by LouisB; 08/09/19.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK panhandle? Hunny's BBQ in Guymon. Only open Fri and Sat nights.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.