Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thought about re-reading the Journal of the Corps of Discovery, may still get to it.

But I found my copy of the book I quote in my sig line. It's a quite interesting take on man, greed, and a few other things.

Geno

Ambroses take on it, Undaunted Courage is a dam fine read...

I'll look that one up.

I have this version. Even this abridged edition is very detailed.

https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/bison-books/9780803280397/

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One to get the thought processes going about how our Country is:

Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin and the Making of the Military-Industrial Complex
by William D. Hartung

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Thanks I just ordered Garcia's book. Earning the Rockies by Robert D. Kaplan is excellent, I am currently reading his Marco Polo's World and have enjoyed and learned from all of his books. I love book threads, even if they are expensive.

mike r

enjoyed that one, (I) need to read DeVoto now....

Last edited by Sycamore; 08/06/19.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I was in Costco tonight and picked up a copy of Where The Red Fern Grows in hard cover. Did you know it's been fifty years since it was first published? I read it what seems to be a long time ago and remember choking up a little back then. I hope it will have the same effect again.

I read this book as a serial in our weekly regional newspaper when I was about 10. IIRC there was something in my eyes at the end.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just finished "A Handful of Hard Men", the story of the Rhodesian SAS by Hannes Wessels. Simply outstanding. Immediately ordered a follow on book called "We Dared to Win". Wessels has a style that just causes the history and the men's recollections to flow. Very readable.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/07/19.
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The Last Stand of the Tin can Sailors, the story about the destroyer Samuel B Roberts in the battle of Leyte Gulf. Very powerful story. I'm enjoy ww2 history, had several relatives and friends that fought in the Pacific.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I like science fiction and fantasy. Just finished Mark Lawrence's Red Sister trilogy, and it was very good. More of a traditional coming of age type of story than his earlier "grimdark" stuff, but very well written.

Currently reading Thin Air, by Richard K. Morgan. The Takeshi Kovacs novels were the best sci fi series to have been published in the last ten years, and Thin Air definitely follows that same formula: a dark homage to Raymond Chandler crime noir, set in a cyberpunk future. Great read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been reading a lot of the WEB Griffin books lately. His books are usually in a series, and based loosely on historical events. I have found most of them to be good reading.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've been reading a lot of the WEB Griffin books lately. His books are usually in a series, and based loosely on historical events. I have found most of them to be good reading.

I can agree with that. He writes with his son now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.