Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by joshf303
I find my BTO measurement to the lands with bullet of choice...
Run my 10-12 shot string over MagnetoSpeed to find max pressure and my flat spots in velocity....
Pick my powder charge accordingly...

Load a couple hundred and go shoot it. The shoot/clean, shoot/clean “break in” routine is a waste of time with the custom barrels of today IMO.

This pretty much is it.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shoot the damn thing and clean, if the groups start to open up. Most of this break in crap is just that-crap.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I’d add that when I receive a rifle with new barrel I shoot TCE degreaser down the barrel and patch it clean. Then use a very lightly oiled patch. I do this to make certain a chip of steal from the chambering process isn’t missed, as it can cause serious problems if fired with chips in it. 99% of the time it’s spotless but missing a chip is easy to do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If you need to ask someone a question about barrels,or cite someone else about barrels,rest fhuqking ASSURED that you "know" nothing about barrels.

Big Stick, Good morning little buddy. I hope you are well. Let me get this straight. A member has a question about something which he doesn't know. He posts such question on a forum, designed for such inquiries, to obtain the missing knowledge. And the above is the first sentence of your response. I'm telling you Big Stick, your grasp of the obvious is exceeded only by your extreme good looks. I hope you have a great day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If you need to ask someone a question about barrels,or cite someone else about barrels,rest fhuqking ASSURED that you "know" nothing about barrels.

Big Stick, Good morning little buddy. I hope you are well. Let me get this straight. A member has a question about something which he doesn't know. He posts such question on a forum, designed for such inquiries, to obtain the missing knowledge. And the above is the first sentence of your response. I'm telling you Big Stick, your grasp of the obvious is exceeded only by your extreme good looks. I hope you have a great day.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I clean it before I shoot it. Then I shoot it once and patch it out. I continue to shoot it once and patch it out until one shot shows no copper fouling. This is usually 6 to 8 shots. Then I use it for what I bought it for.

lightman
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I clean a new barrel then put 20 through it fast enough to warm it up good clean it again hot and I'm good to begin break in with 100-200 rounds treating the barrel just like I would any other.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just shoot the s hit out of it and it usually works pretty good!

More barrels are f ucked up by unnecessary cleaning than by bullets going through the bore!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From Gale McMillan;

https://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html

...make sure to read all the posts.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.