Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For the past few months, I've been checking out some of the area pawn shops looking primarily for older model Remington 700's, and Wingmaster's in 20 gauge, as well as older lever guns. I've been somewhat disappointed in that I've not found much.

I have seen exactly 3 older model 700's, all in 6mm Remington chambering. I thought the 6mm Rem was not a very popular cartridge, and have found it hard to believe that I've not seen any other chamberings but that one. I would have thought that the 30-06, 270, 7mm Magnum, as well as a 22-250 or 243 would have turned up before a 6mm.

Could it be that because they weren't popular, or that ammo is hard to find now, is the reason they've been pawned? I know it can't be because they made more of them in 6mm than any other caliber, and that's why I'm seeing them.

By the way, I haven't bought one yet. One was pitted with rust very bad, one was an ADL, and the other a heavy barrel model that was way overpriced.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
you answered most of your own questions

If it aint 243, 30-06 or 270: your average 350 small block nova fan is too lazy to seek out ammo

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The ammo is the killing point with that chambering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep and yep, which usually makes them a good buy. Nothing wrong with a 6mm Rem. My old mid sixties 700 is very accurate

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What was wrong with the ADL?

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I would love to stumble across an old 700 in 6mm, ADL or BDL. The son in law picked up a 788 in this chambering a couple years back. I ordered dies and 100 pieces of Prvi brass in 7x57, so it is ready to go.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
older 870s and 1100s interest me, and others too it seems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The ammo is the killing point with that chambering.

Yeah, your right about factory ammo being high for the 6mm, but that's one of the reasons reloading was invented. Reloading 6mm Rem doesn't cost anymore than any other caliber of similar size.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a 6mm and I love it! I always wanted one and my wife bought me one about 25 years ago. It’s like a 243 on steroids?? I tease efw it a 257 Roberts much improved!!

Denny

Last edited by Whelenman; 08/07/19.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
keep looking---- its worth it

found one with Czech Bruno action, done in 6mm by PO Ackley, birdseye maple stock done by K Davis.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JamesJr.: I was slumming up in Butte, Montana (the asswhole of Montana!) a couple weeks ago and cut a rip roaring good deal on an older Remington 700 VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) in caliber 6m/m Remington from Fran Johnsons Sport Shop!
I too watch for used older Remingtons and have bought many dozens of them in the last 25 years or so - many I have resold for profit, if they did not shoot up to my expectations.
Indeed the heavy barrel Remington 700's in 6m/m Remington do bring prices that are above the average (other things being equal) for other caliber 700's (both BDL's, ADL's, Varmint Specials and the VLS that I bought).
My local pawn/sport shop has a Remington 700 ADL in 6m/m Remington for sale (on consignment IIRC) and I would be glad to get the particulars for you if you so desire or you can call them Tuesday through Saturday at 406-683-9844.
I was impressed with this 6m/m ADL as the metal was especially nice and the bolt face looked used little.
No scope on it.
Good luck in your search and maybe it was just a weird coincidence that you are running into so many 6m/m's.
I find they are somewhat rare to come across - I thought this was attributed to how well they shoot (accurately!).
Last fall I bought two Remington Model 700 BDL Varmint Specials in caliber 22-250 Remington - I posted on this site how well they both shot!
They are both in my "permanent" collection.
The older Remington 700's have a reputation for fine accuracy - something I strongly agree with!
And the newer Remington 700's (of the vintage 2,010 and prior) have also shot extremely well for me!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My wife's "dad" had an adl 6mm that we bought at his estate sale. It's a great shooter that she's killed several deer with, once we cleaned all the spray can camo off of it....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The problem with depending on pawn shops to find guns you're looking for is that they're frequented by flippers who buy anything and everything they think they can make a buck on. Leaving nothing behind but junk.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by mathman

What did they want for it????????

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EMoore
My wife's "dad" had an adl 6mm that we bought at his estate sale. It's a great shooter that she's killed several deer with, once we cleaned all the spray can camo off of it....

You had to buy something from your wife's deceased dad or "dad"??

Strange, must be a trend

A guy I knew lived with his grandmother most of his youth and early adult life, when she passed, the family had an estate sale. He wanted a cherry end table. His dad made him pay the f aggot estale sale operator $650.

It was walk thru tag sale

I couldve kicked him up the ass, I really should have for not sacking and telling his dad to GFY. And just take the table out to his truck.

There was also some unopened Star Wars action figures from the late 70s. Belonged to him, his dad was selling those too.

hahaha

Dude isn't even on my contact list anymore.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunswizard: So are YOU advising people NOT to shop at or frequent pawn shops?
It sounds like you are and if so that is one of the single most stupid things I have ever heard an adult utter!
I have found many many dozens of great guns and great deals at pawn shops!
My first venture into a pawn shop occurred on Seattle's "skid road" when I was 7 years old and my older brother was 11 and my parents thought he should graduate from BB guns to a 22.
I have been shopping at pawn shops for the ensuing 65 years and again its not everyday I find a good gun (or a good optic or a good knife) at a good price but I find it is well worth the time and effort.
If I recall correctly I have "frequented" pawn shops in 28 states and countless cities.
Long live pawn shops.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

It was a 20 inch barreled ADL that had just came out of pawn, and they had a pretty hefty price tag on it. I waited about a month and went back to make an offer, and it had been sold.

I know nothing abut pawn shops..........never pawned anything, never bought anything from one. But, apparently, when an item comes out of pawn, they put a high price on it, and then the longer it sits there, the more they'll knock off. I'll admit that I'm looking for a bargain, and that's all. I don't need anything, but would buy something if it was a low enough price.

Originally Posted by slumlord
you answered most of your own questions

If it aint 243, 30-06 or 270: your average 350 small block nova fan is too lazy to seek out ammo

You may be right, but the 6mm Rem was never popular around here to begin with, so I'm just wondering why that's all I'm seeing in Model 700 rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
For the past few months, I've been checking out some of the area pawn shops looking primarily for older model Remington 700's, and Wingmaster's in 20 gauge, as well as older lever guns. I've been somewhat disappointed in that I've not found much.

I have seen exactly 3 older model 700's, all in 6mm Remington chambering. I thought the 6mm Rem was not a very popular cartridge, and have found it hard to believe that I've not seen any other chamberings but that one. I would have thought that the 30-06, 270, 7mm Magnum, as well as a 22-250 or 243 would have turned up before a 6mm.

Could it be that because they weren't popular, or that ammo is hard to find now, is the reason they've been pawned? I know it can't be because they made more of them in 6mm than any other caliber, and that's why I'm seeing them.

By the way, I haven't bought one yet. One was pitted with rust very bad, one was an ADL, and the other a heavy barrel model that was way overpriced.

How much was the heavy barrel varmint special?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The 6mm Remington is one of our favorites for deer hunting. Have a couple heavy-barreled 6mm's in Ruger 77V's and a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special, too. We reload and all are very accurate. Didn't take long at the bench to find loads they would shoot well, either. Fun to shoot them off a bipod as the light recoil allows the shooter to see the hits through the scope.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 08/08/19.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by EMoore

You had to buy something from your wife's deceased dad or "dad"??

Strange, must be a trend

A guy I knew lived with his grandmother most of his youth and early adult life, when she passed, the family had an estate sale. He wanted a cherry end table. His dad made him pay the f aggot estale sale operator $650.

It was walk thru tag sale

I couldve kicked him up the ass, I really should have for not sacking and telling his dad to GFY. And just take the table out to his truck.

There was also some unopened Star Wars action figures from the late 70s. Belonged to him, his dad was selling those too.

hahaha

Dude isn't even on my contact list anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.