-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Posted this in Handguns but was probably fishin' in the wrong water hole so will repost it here. As in my original review of this rifle I will ask nicely to please not muddy up this thread with philosophical arguments about the efficacy of this particular type of firearm vs. others, if you want to do that then please start your own thread. I am unfamiliar with firearm mounted lights so am just looking for a little guidance on these or perhaps suggestions on where else to find info on the subject.

Looking to get a light for the forend of my new PC9. I’ve been looking at the Inforce APL Gen 3 or something similar but there are a few things to consider.

My fingers do not naturally fall into a position where they can activate paddles on the back of the light although it’s not a huge reach, literally or figuratively, to change grip slightly to activate something with my forefinger alongside the forend or reaching around under it where it naturally falls.

I’ve read pros and cons of gun mounted flashlights with a separate switch hooked by wire to the actual light. I’m leaning toward the con of that but since this is a new subject for me I’ll keep an open mind if someone presents good arguments for that.

Looking at pistol lights now since I'm not sure if a rifle light would even fit. The rail is 1.75" long, .75" wide and the forend above it 2.25" wide so it couldn't extend much above the rail. Plus, I really don't want something that's going to upset the current perfect balance so the lighter the better (pun intended).

Not looking for a laser. I want something to illuminate and identify the target, don’t need a target designator per se.

So, whatcha got? This is new territory for me so I’m open to what works – brand, style, whatever.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Streamlight TLR-1HL: relatively inexpensive, frequently on sale, and reliable and bright. I have half a dozen of them on pistols and have had no problems.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll second the above and add the TLR-1 HPL if you want light out beyond 50 yards.

I have TLR-1s on a couple of pistols as well as on a Beretta CX-4 carbine. I have the pressure switch on the Beretta, it is much more convenient to use than the toggle on the end of the light. It started with a longer coil cord which I taped to the stock with black (tactical 😄 Duct tape. I wrapped the tape all the way around the gun which worked better in the long run than couple inch strips. It now wears a short, straight cord that is also duct taped to the stock. They have given me good service so far.

I have an HPL on an AR-15 that will allow positive ID on coyotes to 100 yards+ with an inexpensive scope on 10x. I put the pigtail pressure switch from the CX-4 on this gun and once again duct taped it to the fore end. It is belled but should fit the Ruger without a problem.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This whole setup is a dedicated home defense firearm so it really only needs to illuminate across room, maybe 15 yards or so max, and would actually prefer a slightly less bright light so as not to dazzle my own possibly sleepy eyes.

Also, my first thoughts were to try to avoid a separate switch since it’s just one more point of failure, that’s why I was looking at the APL Gen 3 with its ambidextrous paddles that work the same for right or left hand – I’m left handed so like the ability to do a momentary on as a natural movement with the fingers of my right hand.

But after simulating reaching for the light with thumb or forefinger I’m thinking that a separate switch is really the way to go. Something that can be placed where it naturally falls below my thumb as it grips the forend. Still want a lightweight sight that won't upset the balance so it seems a pistol light is the way to go.

Appreciate for the recommendations.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I tried the paddles initially, it required me to position my hands in an uncomfortable position. This made me use the light in less than optimal manner. For a hunting gun where the light is switched on until after the shot the toggle works well enough. For a home defense light I much prefer an easy ability to turn the light on/off as desired.

The TLR-1 is not blinding inside the home, even when first awakened. The light is diffused enough that it provides a decent amount of periphrial light coverage with a dense enough core to cause discomfort to look at. The light has also proven itself to be pretty shock resistant and reliable over many firings which is an important factor for a defensive firearm. Shock resistance seems to be the downfall of these lights and it seems that the less expensive the accessory, the sooner it fails. Where that cut off is I don't know but personal experience has me knowing the TLR is likely to last.

I have seen the Inforce lights on shelves but do not know anyone who has bought one. With patience and shopping around I have found the TLR for $90 new and used for $75. I'll pay a little more for something proven for this use than take a chance on something unfamiliar. I've taken fliers on things in the past but here I'll let others do the testing for me.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Streamlight TLR-1HL: relatively inexpensive, frequently on sale, and reliable and bright. I have half a dozen of them on pistols and have had no problems.

^^^

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.