Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
So liberals are going crazy for GMO fake meat now? TFF!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Just think about it....when you eat some fake meat, you're saving the life of a fuzzy little animal with big brown eyes.

Yes but at the same time you're putting a hardship on cattle farmers and their families.

Have you seen Conrad's kids? Talk about fuzzy little critters with big brown eyes.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
So liberals are going crazy for GMO fake meat now? TFF!!!

Isn't that something?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And they'll be paying something like $140.95 per case of 40 quarter pound burgers per case = $3.52 per burger .

Or $14.08 per pound.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Just think about it....when you eat some fake meat, you're saving the life of a fuzzy little animal with big brown eyes.

Yes but at the same time you're putting a hardship on cattle farmers and their families.

Have you seen Conrad's kids? Talk about fuzzy little critters with big brown eyes.

Haha!

Thanks Charlie. Yeah....they be wild animals sometimes.

I reckon the meat and dairy restriction would be tough. Like was mentioned before.......cheeseburgers!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They have been a great investment...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why do people that don't want to eat meat have to have fake meat? Seems like a lack of commitment.

And if you're not supposed to eat meat for religious reasons, does substituting fake meat start to erode the point of fasting/abstinence?

Now, if a person can't eat meat for real (diagnosed by a medical professional) reason, then fake meat makes some sense.

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Why do people that don't want to eat meat have to have fake meat? Seems like a lack of commitment.

And if you're not supposed to eat meat for religious reasons, does substituting fake meat start to erode the point of fasting/abstinence?

Now, if a person can't eat meat for real (diagnosed by a medical professional) reason, then fake meat makes some sense.

First, I have to add to the initial report on the taste of the fake meat with a post script...the stuff ain't friendly to the digestive system (I won't give the ugly details).

Second, the bottom line, for me, on substituting fake things for things that religion prohibits is that it definitely doesn't make sense. Religion requires you to accept certain things even if they seem illogical, and that's why so many people leave religion. I've raised the issue myself when turkey ham first came to market and my grandfather refused to touch it, saying that if it tastes like ham, it is ham. The rabbi I spoke to said that the point of all of this is to bring piety into everyday life, and when you stop to think about food and whether it complies with religious dictates, you are fulfilling a commandment and that, in and of itself, is the justification for allowing fake things that are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing.

Personally, I think that's a rather weak argument, but there's lots of things about religion that defy logic.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everything about religion defies logic.

Those dietary prohibitions that started in the Middle East (kosher or halal) were originally based on avoiding things that could be harmful. Pork at that time was probably full of trichinosis, for example. And shellfish spoiled in no time in desert heat. Avoiding them made sense.

Today, however, none of it holds water. Meat is safe, period. Refrigeration makes even shellfish safe for days or even weeks.

I agree totally that eating fake stuff because the real stuff is forbidden is beyond silly. I once gave a NASA speech to a group of Seventh Day Adventists, and they proudly offered me some "meatloaf" made of soy something. I asked them if it tastes like meat and you eat it as if it were meat, why not just eat meat? They were not happy.

As to good or bad fake meat, we eat quite a bit of Morningstar Farms "sausage" that's soy based and it's darn hard to tell from the real thing. Delicious, in fact.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you have an Aldi grocery nearby, they have black bean burgers in their freezer section that are great. They also have some sort of other meatless burger that sucks, so stick with the black bean burger. They are even good on the grill.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124
If you have an Aldi grocery nearby, they have black bean burgers in their freezer section that are great. They also have some sort of other meatless burger that sucks, so stick with the black bean burger. They are even good on the grill.

My wife bought some of those a few years ago, not bad at all.

I wouldn't replace ground meat with them but I have no issues w the bean burger.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Funny that it’s called “ground beef analog” not fake beef.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dietary laws these days are more ritual, tradition. Some find it helps their spiritual life. Others not so much.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Funny that it’s called “ground beef analog” not fake beef.

No way in hell they should be able to call it that.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Say....how come you have to abstain from meat....or eat fake meat?

I'm not the most observant person around, but I stick to the biblical elements of dietary restrictions. That means no pork, no shellfish and no mixing of dairy and meat. The biggest problem is the last one, cause lots of meat dishes have some form of dairy in them (whether it's a cheeseburger or even something as simple as milk in the bread that goes along with meat). I usually can get around it by either ordering something without the cheese or asking to have sauces left off, but if I'm in a hurry and I just need to grab something to eat, the fake meat is the easy answer.

Sounds to me like you've got some "issues."

That's OK, they're yours, not mine.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll not chastise anyone for their choices, as long as they don't start on my choices.

Had an interesting discussion with the last Vegan, that was into me about my rarish steak.

Conversation turned to tofu/bean curd, their protein of choice.

Asked how they felt about genetically modified foods.

They stated that they didn't like it & stayed clear of all modified foods.

Asked them if they'd ever looked into the soy curd/tofu ingredients.

Mostly soy bean !

Asked them if they knew that 99% of all of the worlds sowbean is GM.

That was the end of the conversation.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I asked him an honest question and he gave me an honest answer.

So piss off youse lot!
laugh

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I imagine that fake meat will end up being terrible for ones health. Like all the trans hydrogenated crap that we were lied to about for years. When I was in school we were fed lots of soybean burgers and they were terrible. Probably much worse for you than beef.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Remsen!

Congratulations! You have discovered how to vulcanize fake meat!!!

You’re going to be a millionaire!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 33 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.