Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just posted this thread in the "Big Game Rifles" section, but it's probably more suited to this group. Hope you can help.

I recently bought a Remington 700 in .375 H&H and the rifle is very lightweight. Two things were reported by the seller. First, that the rifle was built by Rifles, Inc. And second, he thought the stock might be a Ti take-off stock. I need some help identifying the stock. I uploaded photos in the gallery here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14032592#Post14032592

The stock is pillar bedded, has been bedded by someone (Rifles, Inc.?) and wears a Decelerator pad. The stock weighs 1.50 pounds on my scales that read to an accuracy of .05 pounds. So the actual weight could be between 23.6 ounces and 24.4 ounces.

Rifles, Inc. makes their own stocks I believe, and my stock looks similar to the stock they sell on their "Classic" rifle. My rifle started life as a 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag and was rebarreled to .375 H&H, converted to BDL, and a new stock added . Some steel has been removed from the receiver to reduce weight. And it wears a radial brake with very fine holes drilled it, something like RI does on their rifle brakes but the holes are smaller.

Could this be a Rem 700 Ti take-off? Or a Rifles, Inc. creation? Or other? Hope you can help.

Keith

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It is a ti takoff. Picture 4640 is the key; shows the channel in front of the trigger cut out. The McMillan ks is flat at that location. The brown ks looks entirely different inletting wise.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If it is a Ti takeoff, it has been modified and repainted.

Every Ti take off I've seen and the couple that I had came with front sling swivels.
Also, the area just in front of the bolt cutout on the right side of the stock does not rise up to make the original stock line.
Meaning the ejection port cutout in the stock has no rear defining edge. It just continues the same level to the bolt cutout.

I'm betting it's a Rifles Inc creation.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good points Morano. I hadn’t seen that picture. Lex bought quite a few ti’s on the used market at one point so he certainly would have had a few (ti takeoffs) to play around with. I agree with you - I think it started life as a b&c takeoff and left as a rifles inc “creation.”

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have you shot it?

Even with brake, bet it kicks.

DF

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I bought a McMillan Mountaineer stock a couple years ago. The Mountaineers were supposedly overrun from an order that McMillan did for Rifles Inc. If you look at the pictures below, you can see the same full length ejection port cut out on the right side of my Left Hand stock. And a properly sized and located ejection port on the Left Hand side for a Left Hand Rem 700.

I called McMillan. They did not have anything to say other than that was the way the mold was set up. I am assuming the idea was a "one size fits all" ejection port for Right Hand actions straight out of the mold to reduce time and labor when fitting an ejection port. . Given that the McMIllan Mountaineer was an over run for Rifles Inc, and given that both have the same OSFA ejection port on the right side, I'm gonna guess that your stock is a Rifles Inc creation as well. If true, I would also bet that the very open wrist might be more "round" in cross section instead of a vertical "oval".

McMillan Mountaineer

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I bought a McMillan Mountaineer stock a couple years ago. The Mountaineers were supposedly overrun from an order that McMillan did for Rifles Inc. If you look at the pictures below, you can see the same full length ejection port cut out on the right side of my Left Hand stock. And a properly sized and located ejection port on the Left Hand side for a Left Hand Rem 700.

I called McMillan. They did not have anything to say other than that was the way the mold was set up. I am assuming the idea was a "one size fits all" ejection port for Right Hand actions straight out of the mold to reduce time and labor when fitting an ejection port. . Given that the McMIllan Mountaineer was an over run for Rifles Inc, and given that both have the same OSFA ejection port on the right side, I'm gonna guess that your stock is a Rifles Inc creation as well. If true, I would also bet that the very open wrist might be more "round" in cross section instead of a vertical "oval".

McMillan Mountaineer

There is that pesky issue of the cheekpiece however ...

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It's great to be able to tap into this much knowledge. Thank you, gentlemen. Dirtfarmer I have not yet fired the rifle. I sure hope that brake works because the entire rifle weighs right at 6 pounds. That's a lightweight stick for that much energy. If the brake isn't sufficient, I'll get another one since it's threaded.

Keith

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Not saying the same mold. But same design feature to eliminate time and labor in the manufacturing process. The OSFA ejection port on the right side makes great sense if you are building a RH only stock with a RH cheek piece (like the OP's). Not so cool to pay $600 for a custom Left Hand stock and then find out after you receive it that it had a built in RH ejection port.

And then, after I got over the aggravation regarding the ejection port, I just never warmed up to the ergos of the stock. Tried 3 or 4 different barreled actions in the stock. Never felt quite "right" for me. Hence, sent it down the road.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weren't all Ti's ADL?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
Weren't all Ti's ADL?

Yes if they where actual factory take-off stocks. B&C did/does sell some that look the same mostly but do come in BDL also. This is the one of them in BDL I had.

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by aalf
Weren't all Ti's ADL?

Yes, the first gen were.
The second gen (alaska ti) were bdl.
I think I was half asleep when I responded to the OP.
If it is a ti takeoff as I originally posted it has been heavily modified.
I still maintain that it is some iteration of a b & c based on the inlet ... but what; I am no longer sure.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I turned a Ti ADL into a BDL after getting permission, (technical advice) from Ingwe. He had done one.

Worked out pretty well.

DF

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.