Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Any info on location Steese vs Taylor. F&G ain't answering (yesterday), and we are ready to head out. Somewhere.

Don't need no stinking table in the camper anyway..... If my lights work.. Damn... that was a project. Not pretty but hell for stout. As of 2 am this morning....

Everything almost fit, few left over parts, and if silicon doesn't fix it, it makes it waterproof. Some of it pretty half-assed, but it beats the hell out of original construction and previous "professional" fix.

I'm with Tom Bodett..Success in Alaska means warm and dry.....and nothing falling off in the road behind one...... smile

Got me a rednecker for sure! Now if the old red and blue 90 one-tonner Chev was equipped for it, I'd really make an impression.....

Last edited by las; 08/08/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm no help in the 40 mile caribou dept., but good luck on your hunt!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bulk of the herd is on or near the Steese hwy. they are in eastern portions of zone 1 and 2. That what the hotline said. We are headed up to the Taylor I would/do not want to be anywhere near the Steese on Sunday morning.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steese Highway and wear your hunter orange.

Expect Emergency Closure very quickly.

Last edited by VernAK; 08/08/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there any way of knowing where the Porcupine caribou herd is at any given time? I am heading to the Brooks in 10 days.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Any info on location Steese vs Taylor. F&G ain't answering (yesterday), and we are ready to head out. Somewhere.

Don't need no stinking table in the camper anyway..... If my lights work.. Damn... that was a project. Not pretty but hell for stout. As of 2 am this morning....

Everything almost fit, few left over parts, and if silicon doesn't fix it, it makes it waterproof. Some of it pretty half-assed, but it beats the hell out of original construction and previous "professional" fix.

I'm with Tom Bodett..Success in Alaska means warm and dry.....and nothing falling off in the road behind one...... smile

Got me a rednecker for sure! Now if the old red and blue 90 one-tonner Chev was equipped for it, I'd really make an impression.....

JUMPER??!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Is there any way of knowing where the Porcupine caribou herd is at any given time? I am heading to the Brooks in 10 days.

I'm willing to bet majority of that herd is up by crazy sue's place up on the Kavik River..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Bulk of the herd is on or near the Steese hwy. they are in eastern portions of zone 1 and 2. That what the hotline said. We are headed up to the Taylor I would/do not want to be anywhere near the Steese on Sunday morning.

Good luck! I thought about trying to go out, but I got a tentative offer for a GS position on JBER. I had a drug test yesterday, and now a physical scheduled for Monday. I also started my VA disability claim Monday, so up util today, the only time I've sat down was to eat or drive somewhere. I've been home a week today, and have yet to pick up a fishing rod or make it to the range. The neighbor's dad is here to salmon fish from the East Coast, and I've already cancelled on him twice to go out fishing with him. I am doing my best to get stuff together for moose season though.

Last edited by Hudge; 08/08/19.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A physical,to get a job?

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I just helped the neighbor load up his wheelers, going out caribou hunting. Forget what tag. There are no less than 10 straps on each wheeler and all of them are not over the axles. Good luck bud. I gave my input but they decided to just put more straps on it.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Early season Tier hunters starts on the 10 August

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
That one is gonna go quick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank

No, they cut back the number of permits and then opened it wide open to any caribou... because of the mild winter there were 17k calves in the count... way above expectations.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

JUMPER??!!

Yeah, wouldn't that be sumtin? smile. Put different tires on, doesn't jump any more, yet. King pins are still needing replacement tho. After the starter gets fixed.

L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yeah, its gonna be crazy, but as my brother says' "Anotha fuggin scouting trip." In my 50 year plus here, I have never been up the Steese- so we are figuring it as less a hunting trip and more like sight-seeing / on and off road camping. We can always resupply Fbks , head to the Taylor after a couple days if necessary. I got a 4-wheel drive camper, we are retired can go anywhere! That sounds like it might be open more than a couple days - if not, we won't. Plenty to keep me busy at home anyway, and moose season to get ready for.

I imagine I'm gonna see more ATV's than I wish, and I'm not taking mine. We'll hike in a few miles, wherever the map looks good. Going it blind, as it were.

I know right where I want to go on the Taylor, with a 6 mile hike back in to a natural funnel with good camping. No flippin ATVs either. It was a toss-up until this morning, and we decided to see the Steese country. $40 in maps was a bit steep, but maybe we'll go back.

Last edited by las; 08/09/19.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

No, they cut back the number of permits and then opened it wide open to any caribou... because of the mild winter there were 17k calves in the count... way above expectations.

On draw permits they cutback, but tier tags whoever applied got them.. the state being short sighted again should of left it bull only.. no telling what this upcoming winter will be like.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

On draw permits they cutback, but tier tags whoever applied got them.. the state being short sighted again should of left it bull only.. no telling what this upcoming winter will be like.

I just watched my new neighbor tie down a wheeler with no less than 12 straps. none over the axles

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

That sort of thinking is what caused the caribou to run to Canada. The caribou do much better when herd numbers are kept on the low side. Allowing a big jump in growth one year without an equal harvest response followed by a second easy winter could put them back in the realm of too many for the range already. 45k is a very reasonable herd size.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Steese is going to be extremely dangerous. The FTWW boys are still here and haven't deployed. We ran out of orange clothing yesterday. If you do it. Leave your wheeler on the trailer and go back pack over the 12 mile summit and hit that backside. There is no caribou backstrap that is worth a bullet. Troopers will be out there but its going to be a real circus.

Sue found a wealthy American sugar daddy in Cabo last winter. She lost about 40 lbs and is dolled up like a movie star. Life below Zero is going to be interesting this season.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by 79S

That sort of thinking is what caused the caribou to run to Canada. The caribou do much better when herd numbers are kept on the low side. Allowing a big jump in growth one year without an equal harvest response followed by a second easy winter could put them back in the realm of too many for the range already. 45k is a very reasonable herd size.

Or be back in the situation they were in last year.. 34k and everyone goes into panic mode.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.