Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
I love a good backpack hunt. But I'm mostly opposed to making more rules about access. I get how it applies in L48, to a certain extent.

I'm also generally opposed to making rules giving one group more or less access, or earlier access...

And you call yourself an Alaskan?!?!?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A "native" Alaskan, no less... smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I thought you moved here?
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Everybody's from somewhere.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And we are all likely headed for the same place. I hope they have an ice machine.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by rost495
Las

more than half a bou in my pack is too much... especially if packing head. But 5 miles to a dirt strip years ago was good for the soul.

At 70, likely not so much... but my thoughts give you an exemption.

Glad to see folks get er done on foot still.

Jeff

Wasn't half a 'bou, for each animal it was 2 packs each (including our gear) for my wife and I. That was plenty. Back in the day I would pack a whole 'bou out by myself in one or two trips- often up 10-12 miles in my favorite spot. Good trail only the last 7 miles. The rest I cleared every 10-13 years. Could get a little rough.... Chainsaw and two weekends prior to season.

I was 8 feet tall and decades younger then...... smile. Probably bulletproof too.

Entropy sucks.

Last edited by las; 08/22/19.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No issues with earlier access etc... if I want to hunt with a bow I can do so in a general season just fine.

But something about peace and quiet.... or at least more of it than less of it.

Swear I'm looking towards the Johnson river though one fall, just to see if its more peaceful than the parade of quads all day long...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hunted off the road with the rest of the valley and ANC very few times when I was up there. Still killed stuff and had good hunts but tired of the crowds in motorized areas. Decided for me that it was worth it to fly to hunt, or at a minimum boat. Things were much quieter after I started doing that, still saw someone else occasionally but no crowds and caravans of wheelers. Much more enjoyable to me. Of course I wasn’t wealthy but I had the luxury of being in a business that helped me make friends with lots of people with boats and planes.

And oh how I miss the guys who’d tell me how badly they needed to kill a moose or caribou to get through the winter. As they climbed into their Platinum diesel pulling a toy hauler with a couple decked out SxSs as their buddy pulled the 36 foot 5th wheel with his lifted Duramax. Subsisting they were, and barely at that.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Quiet and alone is good, Kid. Nothing like sitting there on that log with the buzz of mosquitos in your ears, and looking at a moose belly 15 feet away. Stupid cows.... smile

Yeah, it's tough getting meat enough to survive the winter, especially with $40,000 or more tied up in toys.

(How big are those moose/caribou/deer anyway? Apologies to Pat McManus)

Took me 70 years to get half that (all of it used), and by damn, I'm gonna use it now if I want to! I shoot cheap (used and ugly) rifles too- but they are accurate rifles! The critters just seem to turn up their noses at 'em, cheap or not. smile

I'm minutes away from "moose hunting" in solitude out on the Kenai Refuge - just me, and the bears, and the mosquitos, and the float planes overhead... spotting for moose. Who are keeping out of sight....

The hunting is good, if the getting is not so much, sometimes. smile

Never killed a thing on my two best hunting experiences ever.

Last edited by las; 08/22/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya las!.........I've gotta get away from the crowds here near Delta and fly into Geezer Ridge where I've got a lawn chair on a vantage point that overlooks a vast valley containing bull moose.

I might even take a rifle along.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I hunted off the road with the rest of the valley and ANC very few times when I was up there. Still killed stuff and had good hunts but tired of the crowds in motorized areas. Decided for me that it was worth it to fly to hunt, or at a minimum boat. Things were much quieter after I started doing that, still saw someone else occasionally but no crowds and caravans of wheelers. Much more enjoyable to me. Of course I wasn’t wealthy but I had the luxury of being in a business that helped me make friends with lots of people with boats and planes.

And oh how I miss the guys who’d tell me how badly they needed to kill a moose or caribou to get through the winter. As they climbed into their Platinum diesel pulling a toy hauler with a couple decked out SxSs as their buddy pulled the 36 foot 5th wheel with his lifted Duramax. Subsisting they were, and barely at that.

Ya, love that too. There used to be a camp on the Denali that would drive up a 40' motorhome, and a truck/trailer hauling quads, with freezers and everything to last the month they stayed. They hauled all that from Seldovia and got special "subsistence" tags because of their remote zip code. I just shook my head and laughed.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That seems fair.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by TheKid

Ya, love that too. There used to be a camp on the Denali that would drive up a 40' motorhome, and a truck/trailer hauling quads, with freezers and everything to last the month they stayed. They hauled all that from Seldovia and got special "subsistence" tags because of their remote zip code. I just shook my head and laughed.

I get a good laugh every year from people I meet out hunting telling me how they have to have the meat to survive the winter. Maybe some of them do but others with all the toys do not. I have an old friend that is that way. Granted he doesn't get the subsistence hunts, but he will tell you him and his wife and her special needs son need it to survive. I get a good laugh. He has a $170K boat, ATV/UTV, big ass camper etc. They usually get a moose and two caribou a year, and numerous fish. I know the last time I was at his house, he had 4 big upright freezers crammed full of fish and wild game. Don't ask him for even a package of meat either, as you'd think it would mean they were going to starve.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
checked hot line this morning. 1600+ was quota if I heard it right.

Season went 5 days.

Over on the Taylor 64? caribou taken. Season stil open.

How did you do 79S?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.