Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Any info on location Steese vs Taylor. F&G ain't answering (yesterday), and we are ready to head out. Somewhere.

Don't need no stinking table in the camper anyway..... If my lights work.. Damn... that was a project. Not pretty but hell for stout. As of 2 am this morning....

Everything almost fit, few left over parts, and if silicon doesn't fix it, it makes it waterproof. Some of it pretty half-assed, but it beats the hell out of original construction and previous "professional" fix.

I'm with Tom Bodett..Success in Alaska means warm and dry.....and nothing falling off in the road behind one...... smile

Got me a rednecker for sure! Now if the old red and blue 90 one-tonner Chev was equipped for it, I'd really make an impression.....

Last edited by las; 08/08/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm no help in the 40 mile caribou dept., but good luck on your hunt!

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bulk of the herd is on or near the Steese hwy. they are in eastern portions of zone 1 and 2. That what the hotline said. We are headed up to the Taylor I would/do not want to be anywhere near the Steese on Sunday morning.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steese Highway and wear your hunter orange.

Expect Emergency Closure very quickly.

Last edited by VernAK; 08/08/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there any way of knowing where the Porcupine caribou herd is at any given time? I am heading to the Brooks in 10 days.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Any info on location Steese vs Taylor. F&G ain't answering (yesterday), and we are ready to head out. Somewhere.

Don't need no stinking table in the camper anyway..... If my lights work.. Damn... that was a project. Not pretty but hell for stout. As of 2 am this morning....

Everything almost fit, few left over parts, and if silicon doesn't fix it, it makes it waterproof. Some of it pretty half-assed, but it beats the hell out of original construction and previous "professional" fix.

I'm with Tom Bodett..Success in Alaska means warm and dry.....and nothing falling off in the road behind one...... smile

Got me a rednecker for sure! Now if the old red and blue 90 one-tonner Chev was equipped for it, I'd really make an impression.....

JUMPER??!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Is there any way of knowing where the Porcupine caribou herd is at any given time? I am heading to the Brooks in 10 days.

I'm willing to bet majority of that herd is up by crazy sue's place up on the Kavik River..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Bulk of the herd is on or near the Steese hwy. they are in eastern portions of zone 1 and 2. That what the hotline said. We are headed up to the Taylor I would/do not want to be anywhere near the Steese on Sunday morning.

Good luck! I thought about trying to go out, but I got a tentative offer for a GS position on JBER. I had a drug test yesterday, and now a physical scheduled for Monday. I also started my VA disability claim Monday, so up util today, the only time I've sat down was to eat or drive somewhere. I've been home a week today, and have yet to pick up a fishing rod or make it to the range. The neighbor's dad is here to salmon fish from the East Coast, and I've already cancelled on him twice to go out fishing with him. I am doing my best to get stuff together for moose season though.

Last edited by Hudge; 08/08/19.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A physical,to get a job?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just helped the neighbor load up his wheelers, going out caribou hunting. Forget what tag. There are no less than 10 straps on each wheeler and all of them are not over the axles. Good luck bud. I gave my input but they decided to just put more straps on it.

IC B3

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Early season Tier hunters starts on the 10 August

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That one is gonna go quick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank

No, they cut back the number of permits and then opened it wide open to any caribou... because of the mild winter there were 17k calves in the count... way above expectations.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

JUMPER??!!

Yeah, wouldn't that be sumtin? smile. Put different tires on, doesn't jump any more, yet. King pins are still needing replacement tho. After the starter gets fixed.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yeah, its gonna be crazy, but as my brother says' "Anotha fuggin scouting trip." In my 50 year plus here, I have never been up the Steese- so we are figuring it as less a hunting trip and more like sight-seeing / on and off road camping. We can always resupply Fbks , head to the Taylor after a couple days if necessary. I got a 4-wheel drive camper, we are retired can go anywhere! That sounds like it might be open more than a couple days - if not, we won't. Plenty to keep me busy at home anyway, and moose season to get ready for.

I imagine I'm gonna see more ATV's than I wish, and I'm not taking mine. We'll hike in a few miles, wherever the map looks good. Going it blind, as it were.

I know right where I want to go on the Taylor, with a 6 mile hike back in to a natural funnel with good camping. No flippin ATVs either. It was a toss-up until this morning, and we decided to see the Steese country. $40 in maps was a bit steep, but maybe we'll go back.

Last edited by las; 08/09/19.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

No, they cut back the number of permits and then opened it wide open to any caribou... because of the mild winter there were 17k calves in the count... way above expectations.

On draw permits they cutback, but tier tags whoever applied got them.. the state being short sighted again should of left it bull only.. no telling what this upcoming winter will be like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

On draw permits they cutback, but tier tags whoever applied got them.. the state being short sighted again should of left it bull only.. no telling what this upcoming winter will be like.

I just watched my new neighbor tie down a wheeler with no less than 12 straps. none over the axles

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

That sort of thinking is what caused the caribou to run to Canada. The caribou do much better when herd numbers are kept on the low side. Allowing a big jump in growth one year without an equal harvest response followed by a second easy winter could put them back in the realm of too many for the range already. 45k is a very reasonable herd size.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Steese is going to be extremely dangerous. The FTWW boys are still here and haven't deployed. We ran out of orange clothing yesterday. If you do it. Leave your wheeler on the trailer and go back pack over the 12 mile summit and hit that backside. There is no caribou backstrap that is worth a bullet. Troopers will be out there but its going to be a real circus.

Sue found a wealthy American sugar daddy in Cabo last winter. She lost about 40 lbs and is dolled up like a movie star. Life below Zero is going to be interesting this season.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by 79S

That sort of thinking is what caused the caribou to run to Canada. The caribou do much better when herd numbers are kept on the low side. Allowing a big jump in growth one year without an equal harvest response followed by a second easy winter could put them back in the realm of too many for the range already. 45k is a very reasonable herd size.

Or be back in the situation they were in last year.. 34k and everyone goes into panic mode.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I want F&G to manage mosquitoes, noseeums, and other bat chow.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Now you are just being silly

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Am I?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Iron, what's the difference between noseeums and white socks. I asked my boss, when I lived in Alaska, if you can't see the noseeums, how do you know they have white socks. Yeah, I got the Chris details for a few days.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Not an entomologist so can’t say w absolute certainty. I call umall [bleep] bastids.

See if this heps ya.

https://dec.alaska.gov/media/6056/10-alaska-mosquito-manual.pdf

Last edited by ironbender; 08/09/19. Reason: Fat fingers

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
A physical,to get a job?

Yep, it's a requirement for all Civil Service jobs. My wife had to have one for the VA, and my neighbors that are WG on base had to get them as well. It's so they know what "concessions" they have to make for you, (ex. ergonomic chairs, etc.). They cannot use it against you, as that is a violation of ADA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went out to the Maud Rd range this morning, well that was a mistake. I took my .338 WM, .30-06, and new AR15 build I did last week, along with my pistol. I walked up the hill, saw the crowd at the 100 yard range, so I went to the 25 ayrd range and just shot the AR and pistol. Only myself and three other gentlemen there for about the 75 minutes I was there. I a couple of guys coming in with their rigs that were on their way to the Denali to hunt, and I passed three more loaded with trailers coming in on the way out. I pretty sure they were going caribou hunting and needed to sight their rifles in, as they were loaded down with meat wagons, gas, fire wood etc. I have never seen that much equipment for people just going ATVing out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

That kind of thinking is what got them in a mess for years... the numbers were way too high and they NEVER reached a reasonable kill based on their own definitions of what they needed to kill. As the herd grew they got gutsier about "warehousing" resources. And then the Canadians got a huge shot of our caribou; they decided the accent is better. A?

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

That kind of thinking is what got them in a mess for years... the numbers were way too high and they NEVER reached a reasonable kill based on their own definitions of what they needed to kill. As the herd grew they got gutsier about "warehousing" resources. And then the Canadians got a huge shot of our caribou; they decided the accent is better. A?

That makes sense. It’s just pain in the a$$ to keep up
With their management

Last edited by 79S; 08/09/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

That makes sense. It’s just pain in the a$$ to keep up
With their management

ADF&G Management puts the moron in oxymoron...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by 79S

Good luck! I thought about trying to go out, but I got a tentative offer for a GS position on JBER. I had a drug test yesterday, and now a physical scheduled for Monday. I also started my VA disability claim Monday, so up util today, the only time I've sat down was to eat or drive somewhere. I've been home a week today, and have yet to pick up a fishing rod or make it to the range. The neighbor's dad is here to salmon fish from the East Coast, and I've already cancelled on him twice to go out fishing with him. I am doing my best to get stuff together for moose season though.
I work on JBER, if you don't mind me asking, what squadron are you hiring on with?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quoteI work on JBER, if you don't mind me asking, what squadron are you hiring on with?
[/quote]

I just sent you a PM.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, we stopped at Winter Summit, and Eagle Summit both, the day before season. talked to folks both places, and in a couple others. Big camps not our piece of cake- some of those guys had been camped up there for 5 days already.

Curiously enough, everyone suggested a different place than their own plans for us walk-in hunters. Imagine that. smile

We had our own plan and stuck to it. Found a vacant pullout off the end of a spur ridge about 2 pm and settled in. Figured the ATV's back on the main plateau would be pushing caribou down to us on the end. By 9 there were 7 or 8 other rigs there in the pull-out, all with ATV's - maybe 16 or 17 in all. Disheartening, but not unexpected. They did an excellent job of arranging the parking so no one was blocked in in that confined space. No conflicts at all.

Next morning, starting about 4 am engines firing up, about half crossed the creek and went up the other-side ridge, half up our side. When we got hiked up on top, about a mile and half, there were ATV's - a dozen or more - parked all along the ridge as far as the eye could see. Some of them had come some little distance from up or down the road from our pullout. But again, they did an excellent job of spacing themselves out. For ATV [bleep], they were a friendly, considerate, polite bunch. Well, actually for any bunch. We picked a lookout spot midway between two of the ATV parties.

A bit later the action started when the caribou started getting pushed around. I shot a modest bull about 11 am, by 8 pm we had our gear and the meat all down to the truck, two trips each. A mile and half pack, every step downhill except for 250 yards at the road, which was level. Our lungs were happy- our legs not so much. Our rig was the only one left when we got down with our first load - everyone with their ATVs had limited out and had left by 2 pm or so. Had two other parties spent that night there, with 3 ATV hunters on 2 rigs.

We got started up the ridge next morning about 3 hours after light, in no hurry, a bit gimped up, and with a lot less company, only 2 ATVs up on top - the traffic going home had not stopped all night long, much like the night before season opened. Crazy! Danged near bumper to bumper both nights.

My wife had another modest bull, slightly bigger than mine, down by 9, just 4oo yards away from my gut pile, around the curve of the slope, and 20 feet higher in elevation. Repeat of the day before - all finished up & down to the truck by 6 p m
Drove on into Fairbanks, arriving at our son's place about 10:30, put a tarp on the ground for the meat, took it out of our camper, and covered it with another tarp. Hard rain that night. Slept in and drove home today, again in rain most of the way, getting in about 10:30 pm.

For another fugging scouting trip, it wasn't so bad.

Wife is talking 2nd ATV, we have one, and trailers to haul it (or them) with......... I guess she liked the circus!

I'm getting too old (71 in a couple weeks) for this backpacking crap, especially after 10 years of not doing any, hunting off my ass on a snowmachine or ATV during our time in Kotzebue instead. Too busy this summer to condition, or even to properly prepare for this trip. Murphy didn't come along, but he sent his Polish, Mongol, Vietnamese buddy instead. You know the guy - Clous Tur [bleep].

Going to bed- maybe post more details (some embarrassing) and pics in a few days- I got meat to process!

Oh yeah, hardly any parts fell off my repaired camper that ate my lunch for the last 3 months... smile

Last edited by las; 08/14/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laffin...Good story and hunt....Way to persevere! 😎

PS

Listen to the wife and snag another atv. Grins

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

smile

Great stuff, looking forward to the humor & embarrassing stuff !

I promise I'll laugh with you, not at you.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the second ATV and trailer, you will not regret it. I bought a Ranger in May 2016 and a used trailer off an old friend. There's a reason I say old friend, and it's not his age, we don't have a lot to do with each other anymore. Anyways, I quickly found out the trailer was too small for the Ranger and my 4 wheeler. I kept it until last July when I left to work overseas. Plan was to buy a new one as soon as I got home, well I don't have one yet. I'm waiting on either my firm offer, or my wife to get a promotion, which ever comes first. I can tell you from experience, hauling caribou and a four wheeler in the bed of a truck sucks. It's funny, as I've been home 2 weeks today, and the wife has been asked multiple times by some of her co-workers when she's buying me a trailer so we can all go riding together. So, after Monday, she said, "As soon as you get a firm offer and start date, or I get the promotion I am interviewing for soon, go buy a trailer". I hope my firm offer comes in this week, as she won't be interviewing for at least another week. Fingers crossed though.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So, after Monday, she I hope my firm offer comes in this week, as she won't be interviewing for at least another week. Fingers crossed though.

Word on the street they are going to offer you $9.99 an hour and 2 15 minute coffee breaks.

Last edited by 79S; 08/14/19.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My son, Josh, his friend, Kevin, and I ended up hunting from the Mt Prindle campground off the Steese. The day before we investigated 12 Mile Summit but it was an absolute zoo. Probably close to 100 vehicles with ATVs there. With us being backpack only, there was just no way we were going to be able to compete, so went back to the Mt. Prindle campground, which was no ATV access. Opening morning we climbed up and hunted the basin south of the campground. It was pretty busy, apparently pushing out most of the Caribou out of the basin. But by about 2 PM, they started filtering back in. Kevin made the first kill, a small bull. While we were dressing and quartering his bull, another small herd came in from the northeast containing a couple of ok bulls. Josh and I started across the basin to try and intercept them. Josh actually ran across the last 1/2 mile to get in position. Things worked out and Josh shot the largest bull. The rest of the heard circled around behind me and I was able to take the next best bull. Then the work started...

1st Caribou hunt and I enjoyed it immensely. The immensity and grandeur of that country cannot be overstated. Simply magnificent.

Josh and his bull.

[Linked Image]

Me and my bull.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hondo64d; 08/14/19.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats man!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
👍🏻

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Disappointed to hear that caribou season in Alaska has turn into the Pa. deer hunting season, where you can't even find a place to hunt.

Last time I hunted caribou (2003) in Manitoba there were 200 permits available for the 400,000 Central Barren Ground Caribou herd.

Soon there won't be anyplace or any corner of the earth to go that you don't have to fight with another hunter for game. Glad I won't be here to see it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
My son, Josh, his friend, Kevin, and I ended up hunting from the Mt Prindle campground off the Steese. The day before we investigated 12 Mile Summit but it was an absolute zoo. Probably close to 100 vehicles with ATVs there. With us being backpack only, there was just no way we were going to be able to compete, so went back to the Mt. Prindle campground, which was no ATV access. Opening morning we climbed up and hunted the basin south of the campground. It was pretty busy, apparently pushing out most of the Caribou out of the basin. But by about 2 PM, they started filtering back in. Kevin made the first kill, a small bull. While we were dressing and quartering his bull, another small herd came in from the northeast containing a couple of ok bulls. Josh and I started across the basin to try and intercept them. Josh actually ran across the last 1/2 mile to get in position. Things worked out and Josh shot the largest bull. The rest of the heard circled around behind me and I was able to take the next best bull. Then the work started...

1st Caribou hunt and I enjoyed it immensely. The immensity and grandeur of that country cannot be overstated. Simply magnificent.

Josh and his bull.

[Linked Image]

Me and my bull.

[Linked Image]

That’s awesome!!! Congratulations!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hondo, glad you had a good time and were able to find some bulls. Pics look like a good time!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
Disappointed to hear that caribou season in Alaska has turn into the Pa. deer hunting season, where you can't even find a place to hunt.

Last time I hunted caribou (2003) in Manitoba there were 200 permits available for the 400,000 Central Barren Ground Caribou herd.

Soon there won't be anyplace or any corner of the earth to go that you don't have to fight with another hunter for game. Glad I won't be here to see it.

Alaska still has some great caribou hunting that is a remote, wilderness experience but when you have a major herd with road access and proximity to a human population center, it gets crazy.

This Schitt Show is brief but popular also because the kids have an opportunity to hunt before school starts.

I did hear of one firearm accident but haven't heard further details.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
wife took most of our pics on her iphone, which we can't get to transfer to mine or my computer.nWhen I get time, I'll post a couple using her computer, but here are some off mine.

Thatthing in the lower right is our 5 month (on 13th) Dachshund pup, humping along in his too-big warm up coat, which belonged to his predecessor who left us about 12 years ago. Looked lke a skunk- funny as hell! smile

Approaching my kill.

[Linked Image]

mine

[Linked Image]

hers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 08/19/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
So, after Monday, she I hope my firm offer comes in this week, as she won't be interviewing for at least another week. Fingers crossed though.

Word on the street they are going to offer you $9.99 an hour and 2 15 minute coffee breaks.

That's just my luck. Actually still no firm offer, but AF civilian HR called me Friday and asked me what day I wanted to start, they gave me three and I took the earliest. Tired of hearing the wife saying I'm spending too much money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice bulls Hondo and las.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

My son and his buddy are pack rafting the Middle Fork huntin' for 'bou right now.

Nothing on the ground yet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sounds like western Washington rifle elk season...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Sounds like western Washington rifle elk season...

Oh it’s a big goat ph uck most of us don’t want to be part of.. they send a truckload or troopers up there to ensure those idiots don’t kill each other..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe they should make it archery/muzzleloader only?? I Dunno what’s the big deal about 50 lbs of caribou meat mean when you make more $$ than most, and most folks biitch about caribou meat anyways?? Guess I’m confused?? Btw, I like caribou meat..

Last edited by Judman; 08/19/19.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe they should make it archery/muzzleloader only?? I Dunno what’s the big deal about 50 lbs of caribou meat mean when you make more $$ than most, and most folks biitch about caribou meat anyways?? Guess I’m confused?? Btw, I like caribou meat..

Man we need 2 cases of beer and all night night to explain the thought process by fish and game. But I will give you the 2 beer version, up until last year the Steese hwy was off limits except for a youth hunt. Last spring/summer fish and game did survey of the herd it’s was at 70k plus way over carrying capacity. If I remember 50k is there goal. So last yr they moved the opener to August 12 and let the slaughter commence. This year it wasn’t as bad as last year. Far as archery good luck one would have to write a proposal present it to the unit 20 advisory committee. Then if they support it. it goes before the board of game for approval or disapproval. I will tell you now it would fail. I agree caribou is pretty good eating. I love Alaska but we have to many user groups fighting amongst themselves. I also detest anchorage I’m not a fan, so can’t blame you for having a bad taste in your mouth about ak after experiencing anchorage.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a bad taste at all, just trying to figure out a solution.... As a non resident that loves to hunt, it doesn't sound attractive at all.... It's good, guess folks will be lined up to "hunt"...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

For sure on the money and stuff here is so cheap, we are WAY ahead of the game getting all this pay and cheap food, fuel, housing, power, water etc.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

For sure on the money and stuff here is so cheap, we are WAY ahead of the game getting all this pay and cheap food, fuel, housing, power, water etc.

He does bring up good point on money and caribou hunting. I/you see the trucks headed North $20k worth of wheelers sometimes a lot more to go get them their caribou if not they are going to starve to death. It only gets worse during moose season, we need about 300k people leave this state lol..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For sure... I laugh when I hear about "Art" talk about "tough" moose hunting, when I had 4 buddies flown in with quads, drive up and shoot 4 moose the next day.... Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know where Art hunts moose, I been in that country few times and that trail is a ph ucking nightmare. To the point I don't even go back there anymore. I broke a transmission in my 6x6 in their one yr, another yr guy hunting with me blew his motor in his 6x6 we are 30 miles back. On the flip side But I know of guys chartering a cargo plane fly there wheelers into farewell burn and whack-'em and stack-'em.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's what they did, cargo plane, drop quads, killed a day or 2 in.... Moose just stood like dummys , pretty much drive within a couple hundred yards and done..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's all about how much money you want to spend.. been a few times I could of bought half a beef on what I spend to go hunting up here lol..

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like my caribou hunts. My jetboat is my only transportation so that's what I use. The family prefers caribou meat over moose so it's a good excuse to focus on them. It's a relatively easy trip with my kids, I see few people, and it's just plain fun. I just can't partake in schitshows!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that, think it was $10,000 or so for the flight... Had a great\easy hunt... I'll postpaid tomorrow if anyone is interested... Guess it was like stupid easy...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I like my caribou hunts. My jetboat is my only transportation so that's what I use. The family prefers caribou meat over moose so it's a good excuse to focus on them. It's a relatively easy trip with my kids, I see few people, and it's just plain fun. I just can't partake in schitshows!

very nice... Love caribou meat...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 79S
It's all about how much money you want to spend.. been a few times I could of bought half a beef on what I spend to go hunting up here lol..

that's with everything man!!! Got a couple invites for halibut fishing this year, saved $$$ and time and bought some from you guys.... Halibut fishing s the dumbest waste of energy \resources I've ever seen..... For "sport fishing"......

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I've heard the horror stories about rutted up bou, but I've yet to experience it and don't plan to either. Man I love slicing up some backstrap, add some Johnnys, and fry up in some butter when in camp. Everything taste better when camping I guess, but that's just hard to beat for me!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
👍👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I've heard the horror stories about rutted up bou, but I've yet to experience it and don't plan to either. Man I love slicing up some backstrap, add some Johnnys, and fry up in some butter when in camp. Everything taste better when camping I guess, but that's just hard to beat for me!

How'd the trip to back east pard?? Hope everything worked out...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

As good as it could. Brought back a new deer dragger to train! Haha!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your a good sumbitch ptarmigan!!! Good on you and you will be rewarded!! Good man....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

Damn! I wish it was that cheap!!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Btw, I'm a sumbitch too, don't take it personal... Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

As good as it could. Brought back a new deer dragger to train! Haha!

Hope it works out well!!!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Btw, I'm a sumbitch too, don't take it personal... Grin

It’s all good, I don’t take much personal these days! I figure most folks that bitch at each other one time or another on here would get along just fine around a campfire sharing drinks!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That's what they did, cargo plane, drop quads, killed a day or 2 in.... Moose just stood like dummys , pretty much drive within a couple hundred yards and done..

The amazing part its cheap and happens like that all over the state. LOL.

Sounds like killing and not hunting to me.

For the most part I'm ok with ATVs to get to an area, but once there, unless its age or handicap, then park em and get off your azz. Lazy SOBs.

For the record the above is simply my opinion.
And I do agree about folks leaving the state. I will not. LOL

And cost of our moose hunts so far, a bit of fuel, and we would eat whatever we might be doing so the fuel, usually about 4 or 5 cans, and OLD Atvs, and call it good plus tag cost. The folks that fly their stuff in, thats cool, cause I've flown and would again if I could afford it, they could buy beef cheaper, but its not the point. I do know an area up north, that had good bulls and they started this fly the ATVs in and from the air there are almost no good bulls left.... I"m not sure what that means though... but I do know that power this or that can ruin things. And I say that as I hop in a jet boat once or twice a day to take folks fishing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I think most of those heavy into expensive equipment are into toys and have them no matter what. "Hunting" with them is a bonus. I suspect those boys in their 20's and 30's I met are as much into tearing up the countryside all summer long on their ATVs as they are during hunting season.

My 4 loads of backpacked caribou off the mounain sure seemed heavier than 25# .......each...... My wife's 4 loads were not in that weight class either, being only a few lbs lighter than mine. Someone must not be salvaging all the meat? True, I brought out the legbones and, against my wishes, the antlers. Now antler is useless weight for the most part! Of the 75 or so caribou I have taken over the years, not one produced only 25# of meat. But then, I don't shoot 3 month old calves, which would undoubtedly be top-notch eating.

Actually, going in with low expectations, I told my wife if the first caribou we had a chance at were a cow and calf, we would take both and call it good. That quickly changed!

As for rutted up caribou, just don't shoot bulls - especially big bulls - in late September thru about Nov 10. Problem solved. August caribou thru mid September, properly taken care of, are excellent eating. Those after the rut are edible, but not nearly so good - which is why Eskimos shoot cows all winter long, for the most part.

Sure it's a zoo up there, but where I was, it was very well self-regulated it seemed. We'll likely do it again if the critters are there. With ATV. 50 years of backpacking meat out of the hills is enough. I bet at 71 I was the oldest one up there, and my wife probably the 2nd. Two of maybe 6 walk-ins.... We still have it!

Looking to get rid of it......... smile

Costs? Diesel money RT Soldotna to Steese was under $300, for a couple hundred pounds of now processed excellent meat. And a nice trip - what does one get from a "vacation" ?- except bills. Big bills. So if it better bobs your cork, just consider it a cheap 5 day vacation for two (the dogs needed the outing) with a bonus of high quality meat and a little needed exercise.

A bit more money for vacuum bags, and that's it. I already had the equipment, including the 4 wheeler that we didn't take along this time.... but will next time if any. No hunt expense there, except perhaps amortised over years and trips.

Try buying beef for $2/lb!

Not to say that's what those other folks are doing on this "hunt".

But it was a damned good slaughter.! smile

Last edited by las; 08/20/19.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The amazing part its cheap and happens like that all over the state. LOL.

Sounds like killing and not hunting to me.

For the most part I'm ok with ATVs to get to an area, but once there, unless its age or handicap, then park em and get off your azz. Lazy SOBs.

For the record the above is simply my opinion.
And I do agree about folks leaving the state. I will not. LOL

And cost of our moose hunts so far, a bit of fuel, and we would eat whatever we might be doing so the fuel, usually about 4 or 5 cans, and OLD Atvs, and call it good plus tag cost. The folks that fly their stuff in, thats cool, cause I've flown and would again if I could afford it, they could buy beef cheaper, but its not the point. I do know an area up north, that had good bulls and they started this fly the ATVs in and from the air there are almost no good bulls left.... I"m not sure what that means though... but I do know that power this or that can ruin things. And I say that as I hop in a jet boat once or twice a day to take folks fishing.

I agree, not the "Alaskan" experience I'd want either. .. They were happy, all killed nice bulls, rode the quads right too em, if they're that's all that matters..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Correction: My wife's rack is slightly bigger with more mass than mine.

Ditto the caribou antler pics on which I reversed the captions..... smile

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If F&G wants to knock that herd down or slow the growth (and piss everyone off) why, just make it a cows only season. Limit of two, or maybe 3.
Won't happen - "game management" is at least 50% people/political management, and hang what's good for the game.

The other thing they need to do is change that bullchit regulation about bringing the jawbone out in case "we ask for it at a check station. If we don't ask, we don't want it".

Either they do or they don't - no "maybe we do, maybe we don't - we can't decide...." If they want it, I'm happy to oblige.

There were a (surprising to me) number of people who hauled ass out of there with gutted, unskinned whole animals opening afternoon, a hot day in high 60's maybe low 70"s. Only a few hours back to Fairbanks. But still... I calculated that there was little chance of getting that skin off within 6 hours of the kill, minimum- probably more.

F&G didn't want to look at his (or any) kill already in the game bags. Wonder what they were checking for?

Simple enough to put a yea or nay on their hotline (last updated 9 days before opener) info on the jawbone thing. If they CAN make up their mind.

Last edited by las; 08/20/19.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that, think it was $10,000 or so for the flight... Had a great\easy hunt... I'll postpaid tomorrow if anyone is interested... Guess it was like stupid easy...

Killed some nice bulls
[Linked Image]upload pictures anonymously

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
If F&G wants to knock that herd down or slow the growth (and piss everyone off) why, just make it a cows only season. Limit of two, or maybe 3.
Won't happen - "game management" is at least 50% people/political management, and hang what's good for the game.

The other thing they need to do is change that bullchit regulation about bringing the jawbone out in case "we ask for it at a check station. If we don't ask, we don't want it".

Either they do or they don't - no "maybe we do, maybe we don't - we can't decide...." If they want it, I'm happy to oblige.

There were a (surprising to me) number of people who hauled ass out of there with gutted, unskinned whole animals opening afternoon, a hot day in high 60's maybe low 70"s. Only a few hours back to Fairbanks. But still... I calculated that there was little chance of getting that skin off within 6 hours of the kill, minimum- probably more.

F&G didn't want to look at his (or any) kill already in the game bags. Wonder what they were checking for?

Simple enough to put a yea or nay on their hotline (last updated 9 days before opener) info on the jawbone thing. If they CAN make up their mind.

Managing caribou is difficult at best and F&G puts a lot of effort and money into the 40 Mile Herd. Unfortunately, it is an international agreement with Canada;s Yukon Territory and there's a pile of arbitration goes on. The only thing more difficult to manage is the hunter.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Killed some nice bulls
[Linked Image]upload pictures anonymously

and thats the exact type of thing that can ruin a whole area for a time period, the game is not able to handle that pressure. Fly a few folks in, they hike around, know they have to pack it back to the tiny strip etc...

Ruined a NCIE area in 25 I think it was... used to know the number I applied for every fall to draw... but someone with cash flew a few similar loads in and buddy has not seen a plus 50 in a few years now.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The old Jack O'Conner thing. Write up "what a great area" then 5 years later bitch about how it had been ruined....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
exactly how delta area got ruined. Some idiot in the ANC paper.... thanks dude. But in this day and age, its going to happen.

My sister in law is worlds worst about asking where.... go find a place for yourself. Do the work. The footwork etc...

And as much help as ATVs are, I have a few rules in my mind that would make me much happier. But thats trying to legislate common sense. And I"m not saying I have a lick of that but that others seem to have less.... and then for the younger folks like ourselves at 54 and younger, a bit of leg work aint' going to hurt, and might even help with health overall and the pleasant experience of manual labor and peace and quiet.

OTOH I get the folks doing this just for a meat run, in and done. Not sure how you mix the two really.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Agreed....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I think most of those heavy into expensive equipment are into toys and have them no matter what. "Hunting" with them is a bonus. I suspect those boys in their 20's and 30's I met are as much into tearing up the countryside all summer long on their ATVs as they are during hunting season.

My 4 loads of backpacked caribou off the mounain sure seemed heavier than 25# .......each...... My wife's 4 loads were not in that weight class either, being only a few lbs lighter than mine. Someone must not be salvaging all the meat? True, I brought out the legbones and, against my wishes, the antlers. Now antler is useless weight for the most part! Of the 75 or so caribou I have taken over the years, not one produced only 25# of meat. But then, I don't shoot 3 month old calves, which would undoubtedly be top-notch eating.

Actually, going in with low expectations, I told my wife if the first caribou we had a chance at were a cow and calf, we would take both and call it good. That quickly changed!

As for rutted up caribou, just don't shoot bulls - especially big bulls - in late September thru about Nov 10. Problem solved. August caribou thru mid September, properly taken care of, are excellent eating. Those after the rut are edible, but not nearly so good - which is why Eskimos shoot cows all winter long, for the most part.

Sure it's a zoo up there, but where I was, it was very well self-regulated it seemed. We'll likely do it again if the critters are there. With ATV. 50 years of backpacking meat out of the hills is enough. I bet at 71 I was the oldest one up there, and my wife probably the 2nd. Two of maybe 6 walk-ins.... We still have it!

Costs? Diesel money RT Soldotna to Steese was under $300, for a couple hundred pounds of now processed excellent meat. And a nice trip - what does one get from a "vacation" ?- except bills. Big bills. So if it better bobs your cork, just consider it a cheap 5 day vacation for two (the dogs needed the outing) with a bonus of high quality meat and a little needed exercise.

A bit more money for vacuum bags, and that's it. I already had the equipment, including the 4 wheeler that we didn't take along this time.... but will next time if any. No hunt expense there, except perhaps amortised over years and trips.

I'm sure if you struck out we would of never heard/read about it. Been $300 down the tubes.. we went the opposite direction towards boundary, we knew only pockets of caribou. It was worth a shot to avoid the chit show on the Steese. I was into this trip about $400..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t expect it to be a popular position - and not specific to the 40 mile heard - but I would like to see more non motorized areas in the state. The amount of traffic/trails/impact in many of the motorized areas, as rost alluded to, is disheartening ...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I don’t expect it to be a popular position - and not specific to the 40 mile heard - but I would like to see more non motorized areas in the state. The amount of traffic/trails/impact in many of the motorized areas, as rost alluded to, is disheartening ...

That will only make other areas more crowded. ADF&G have long held they should not do things that move people around beyond tightening regs in harder-hit areas.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

That will only make other areas more crowded. ADF&G have long held they should not do things that move people around beyond tightening regs in harder-hit areas.

Hmm, then the folks that like to drive around looking at each other HOPING for a dumb moose, can all congregate in the same area. And leave at least a few for peace and quiet. CO does well with wilderness areas like that. Lets each group have their area so to speak. But its only an opinion.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
actually if they would just stick to marked trails I'd be happy. Exempt disabled or over X years old. Good with that. Recovery of game? How about 10 am to 3pm or so and a direct route?

I mean driving over trees and brush in a mule looking for a bull to stand still. I guess it happens. But I've also seen folks drive in with a 4 wheeler to get off and sit, where it took us MAYBE a 15 minute walk? To get there before they did. I mean if you are that lazy, hunting moose would be easier down the main trails and just hope. The further someone pushes a new trail, the further folks go, to try to tie to other trails. Eventually its like a checker board thats nuts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The further someone pushes a new trail, the further folks go, to try to tie to other trails. Eventually its like a checker board thats nuts.

Pretty much describes a bunch of the the area south of the Denali Highway ... and also to the north of the Glenn!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Same ADF&G that manages the Kenai kings? Keeps extending the escapement count dates and dropping the escapement goals and won’t make the minimum this year; yet kept the river open to catch and kill all July? I’ll take their long held position with a grain of salt - I suspect you do as well. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Same ADF&G that manages the Kenai kings? Keeps extending the escapement count dates and dropping the escapement goals and won’t make the minimum this year; yet kept the river open to catch and kill all July? I’ll take their long held position with a grain of salt - I suspect you do as well. wink

Long held and honored are absolutely two different things... wink

There actually is a huge difference between salmon and mammal management. The commercial component in fishing has all of the marbles... not so much in hunting.

Get me started on kings and I spin up tight and fast. I still want to see that board controlling mosquitos... inside a generation they would be gone!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^

Oh, I know. Just poorly illustrating a point. grin

TFF on the mosquitoes ... and sadly, damn true!

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
actually if they would just stick to marked trails I'd be happy. Exempt disabled or over X years old. Good with that. Recovery of game? How about 10 am to 3pm or so and a direct route?

I mean driving over trees and brush in a mule looking for a bull to stand still. I guess it happens. But I've also seen folks drive in with a 4 wheeler to get off and sit, where it took us MAYBE a 15 minute walk? To get there before they did. I mean if you are that lazy, hunting moose would be easier down the main trails and just hope. The further someone pushes a new trail, the further folks go, to try to tie to other trails. Eventually its like a checker board thats nuts.

I hunt/well used to hunt in the alphabets.. clear over by keg lake.. you know how far that is from the Denali hwy? Last yr I hunted over by the savage river and the Teklanika you know how far that is from the parks hwy? Point being know one is walking that far and packing out a moose..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps a non motorized buffer zone similar to the Haul Rd.? Even 2-3 miles would be good. I first hunted caribou (unsuccessfully,on foot) in zone 483 (east end of the Denali Hwy before combining into the single zone 485). Critters were mostly west in the Alphabets, but the few that were around were pushed way back away from the road. I have since purchased an ATV, but would enjoy the opportunity to pursue game on foot from a reasonable range.

Last edited by JimInAK; 08/22/19.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by las

My 4 loads of backpacked caribou off the mountain sure seemed heavier than 25# .......each...... My wife's 4 loads were not in that weight class either, being only a few lbs lighter than mine. Someone must not be salvaging all the meat? True, I brought out the leg-bones and, against my wishes, the antlers. Now antler is useless weight for the most part! Of the 75 or so caribou I have taken over the years, not one produced only 25# of meat. But then, I don't shoot 3 month old calves, which would undoubtedly be top-notch eating.

A bit more money for vacuum bags, and that's it. I already had the equipment, including the 4 wheeler that we didn't take along this time.... but will next time if any. No hunt expense there, except perhaps amortized over years and trips.

I'm sure if you struck out we would of never heard/read about it. Been $300 down the tubes.. we went the opposite direction towards boundary, we knew only pockets of caribou. It was worth a shot to avoid the chit show on the Steese. I was into this trip about $400..

Oh, you would have heard bout it..... have you checked my position on GMU23 "pregnant cows only season" , when we were in Kotz?

If there is one thing I am, it's verbose..... and opinionated.

Put a positive spin on it, 79 - It was us and just 5,000 of our closest associates up there. smile

Day two - 80% or better were gone, on my ridge anyway. There was myself and my wife, two guys on one ATV in the morning, who disappeared, going God knows where, not back when we left in pm, one walk-in in the am that we never saw again, a party of 6 on two Rangers who filled their remaining tag with a cow as we got to them, , and two (one with son) in the late afternoon, who put a cap on our hunt.

While we were at the camper after our first trip down with my wife's caribou, these two guys, with a 7 year old son pulled into the pullout and asked if we minded if they parked there. Polite and diffident! Skipping a bunch of info, turned out the father was a 30 something MP in FBKs born and raised in Alaska, but had never killed a big game animal. He was a bit gimped up with shoulder and foot problems, but his best buddy was along as support. And packer if it came to that. My impression was that neither knew crap about hunting...

We explained what we knew about "our" ridge, that it was a good mile up to alpine, and that their plan to hike up a half mile or so looking for caribou wasn't likely to be successful with 20 yard visibility, despite fresh caribou tracks in the ATV trail when we came down. (We saw one on our way up, later, but no chance for a shot...) As we left for our second trip up the ridge to get the rest of Cheryl's caribou, they were right behind us, carrying only a rifle. I advised them to carry their pack frames as well- light going up, even lighter coming down if unsuccessful, but a real bitch to have to go back and fetch if they made a kill. (Turned out later they only had one pack-frame between them). They turned back to get it, while we went ahead.

We had relayed half the caribou down to timberline from C's kill site, but I'd forgotten to cut out the jawbone, so had to go back and get that, along with the liver, and tongue, for a neighbor who eats guts.... smile. OK- I ate liver the first two nights home as well. I like it fresh, but not after it is frozen, and a couple times a year is plenty. With onions , biquuits from scratch, and gravy of course. Also the only time i will eat the latter...

Cheryl waited at the cache site with the 5 mo old Wiener, while Honey Half-lab and I went up to the kill site.

Coming down, I saw our MP and his son off trail a couple hundred yards, afew hundred yards above our cache and they waved me over. They had decided to hike to timberline after all. He was ecstatic, having just killed a probably 3 year old bull with double shovels. His friend Cris, who I met just above our cache site, where they had left their frame with Cheryl, was equally hyped.

And I wasn't that far behind them - for them. They were on cloud - well, about 18.

Of course, I didn't have to pack it all out, and I didn't think they were going to make it all in one trip, with just one pack frame, or all that day yet. I don't think they were physically or mentally tough enough to pack out a100# or more load in one trip, but I didn't tell them that, and i'm pretty sure they weren't going to leave anything behind tho, novices tho they were.

There are some things better learned just for yourself, and as I said, that was a real cap to our own trip. Had we not had our own meat to take care of, I'd have helped them out with the dress out and pack out just to be sure they got it right. We were getting a bit gimped ourselves....

i hope the "and now the work starts" didn't cause waste or turn them off to hunting, but I suppose I'll never know.

They were a bit overextended imo, but at their age, when wasn't I ?

Last edited by las; 08/22/19.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S

I hunt/well used to hunt in the alphabets.. clear over by keg lake.. you know how far that is from the Denali hwy? Last yr I hunted over by the savage river and the Teklanika you know how far that is from the parks hwy? Point being know one is walking that far and packing out a moose..

I was trying to say, I"ve no issues with main trails. I"ve also no issue packing a moose a half mile or so to a trail, even a mile. OR the use of the ATV for transport after the kill. Thats a single in and out.

USED to be respected and done that way where we hunt. Not anymore.

There are ways to combine things.

OTOH I've done a bit of fly ins and used to packing the stuff, part of the game so to speak.

There is a non motorized zone south of us, and I"m going to look into it some in the future. Not nearly as easy for us to hunt, IE not in our back yard, but might be worth the effort.

Heck we motor in 12 miles or so, and then rarely start the 6 wheeler. Walk the trails, slip around in the woods until driven over by an ATV etc.... but yes, we go get the moose with the ATV after its cut up and ready to load... I"'m good with that.

The other OTOH, the roads and trails are totally closed for sheep season there... hasn't changed the odds for drawing or slowed folks down... yes I"m aware sheep are a tad bit smaller than a moose to pack out. Moose are much easier to pack when they are in the back yard too.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Las

more than half a bou in my pack is too much... especially if packing head. But 5 miles to a dirt strip years ago was good for the soul.

At 70, likely not so much... but my thoughts give you an exemption.

Glad to see folks get er done on foot still.

Jeff

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I love a good backpack hunt. But I'm mostly opposed to making more rules about access. I get how it applies in L48, to a certain extent.

I'm also generally opposed to making rules giving one group more or less access, or earlier access...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
I love a good backpack hunt. But I'm mostly opposed to making more rules about access. I get how it applies in L48, to a certain extent.

I'm also generally opposed to making rules giving one group more or less access, or earlier access...

And you call yourself an Alaskan?!?!?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A "native" Alaskan, no less... smile

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I thought you moved here?
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Everybody's from somewhere.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And we are all likely headed for the same place. I hope they have an ice machine.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Las

more than half a bou in my pack is too much... especially if packing head. But 5 miles to a dirt strip years ago was good for the soul.

At 70, likely not so much... but my thoughts give you an exemption.

Glad to see folks get er done on foot still.

Jeff

Wasn't half a 'bou, for each animal it was 2 packs each (including our gear) for my wife and I. That was plenty. Back in the day I would pack a whole 'bou out by myself in one or two trips- often up 10-12 miles in my favorite spot. Good trail only the last 7 miles. The rest I cleared every 10-13 years. Could get a little rough.... Chainsaw and two weekends prior to season.

I was 8 feet tall and decades younger then...... smile. Probably bulletproof too.

Entropy sucks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No issues with earlier access etc... if I want to hunt with a bow I can do so in a general season just fine.

But something about peace and quiet.... or at least more of it than less of it.

Swear I'm looking towards the Johnson river though one fall, just to see if its more peaceful than the parade of quads all day long...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hunted off the road with the rest of the valley and ANC very few times when I was up there. Still killed stuff and had good hunts but tired of the crowds in motorized areas. Decided for me that it was worth it to fly to hunt, or at a minimum boat. Things were much quieter after I started doing that, still saw someone else occasionally but no crowds and caravans of wheelers. Much more enjoyable to me. Of course I wasn’t wealthy but I had the luxury of being in a business that helped me make friends with lots of people with boats and planes.

And oh how I miss the guys who’d tell me how badly they needed to kill a moose or caribou to get through the winter. As they climbed into their Platinum diesel pulling a toy hauler with a couple decked out SxSs as their buddy pulled the 36 foot 5th wheel with his lifted Duramax. Subsisting they were, and barely at that.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Quiet and alone is good, Kid. Nothing like sitting there on that log with the buzz of mosquitos in your ears, and looking at a moose belly 15 feet away. Stupid cows.... smile

Yeah, it's tough getting meat enough to survive the winter, especially with $40,000 or more tied up in toys.

(How big are those moose/caribou/deer anyway? Apologies to Pat McManus)

Took me 70 years to get half that (all of it used), and by damn, I'm gonna use it now if I want to! I shoot cheap (used and ugly) rifles too- but they are accurate rifles! The critters just seem to turn up their noses at 'em, cheap or not. smile

I'm minutes away from "moose hunting" in solitude out on the Kenai Refuge - just me, and the bears, and the mosquitos, and the float planes overhead... spotting for moose. Who are keeping out of sight....

The hunting is good, if the getting is not so much, sometimes. smile

Never killed a thing on my two best hunting experiences ever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya las!.........I've gotta get away from the crowds here near Delta and fly into Geezer Ridge where I've got a lawn chair on a vantage point that overlooks a vast valley containing bull moose.

I might even take a rifle along.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I hunted off the road with the rest of the valley and ANC very few times when I was up there. Still killed stuff and had good hunts but tired of the crowds in motorized areas. Decided for me that it was worth it to fly to hunt, or at a minimum boat. Things were much quieter after I started doing that, still saw someone else occasionally but no crowds and caravans of wheelers. Much more enjoyable to me. Of course I wasn’t wealthy but I had the luxury of being in a business that helped me make friends with lots of people with boats and planes.

And oh how I miss the guys who’d tell me how badly they needed to kill a moose or caribou to get through the winter. As they climbed into their Platinum diesel pulling a toy hauler with a couple decked out SxSs as their buddy pulled the 36 foot 5th wheel with his lifted Duramax. Subsisting they were, and barely at that.

Ya, love that too. There used to be a camp on the Denali that would drive up a 40' motorhome, and a truck/trailer hauling quads, with freezers and everything to last the month they stayed. They hauled all that from Seldovia and got special "subsistence" tags because of their remote zip code. I just shook my head and laughed.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That seems fair.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by TheKid

Ya, love that too. There used to be a camp on the Denali that would drive up a 40' motorhome, and a truck/trailer hauling quads, with freezers and everything to last the month they stayed. They hauled all that from Seldovia and got special "subsistence" tags because of their remote zip code. I just shook my head and laughed.

I get a good laugh every year from people I meet out hunting telling me how they have to have the meat to survive the winter. Maybe some of them do but others with all the toys do not. I have an old friend that is that way. Granted he doesn't get the subsistence hunts, but he will tell you him and his wife and her special needs son need it to survive. I get a good laugh. He has a $170K boat, ATV/UTV, big ass camper etc. They usually get a moose and two caribou a year, and numerous fish. I know the last time I was at his house, he had 4 big upright freezers crammed full of fish and wild game. Don't ask him for even a package of meat either, as you'd think it would mean they were going to starve.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
checked hot line this morning. 1600+ was quota if I heard it right.

Season went 5 days.

Over on the Taylor 64? caribou taken. Season stil open.

How did you do 79S?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.