Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There's finally more information out on the new 7.3 gas engine from Ford for 2020: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/for...rcial-truck-powertrains-filling-details/

Back in February we outlined the broad strokes of the new gas big-block V-8 and in-house-designed Power Stroke turbodiesel V-8 that will power Ford's heavy duty and commercial trucks for 2020. Now we have lots more details to fill in.

As a reminder, the new 7.3-liter gasser slims down enough to fit in all of Ford's motorhome and cube-van chassis-cab applications by ditching two overhead cams in favor of a single cam snuggled deep in the block—a technology that's been absent from Ford's Super Duty truck lineup since the overhead-cam "Modular" engines replaced the "385" family of pushrod big blocks in 1997. (Note—it does not easily fit in any Ford cars.) And it mounts to a beefier new 10-speed transmission with new features.

BEST IN CLASS GAS-ENGINE POWER/TORQUE
As an option in its 2020 F-250 and F-350 trucks, Ford's new 7.3-liter V-8—that's the largest displacement in the class—will crank out 430 hp at 5,500 rpm and 475 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm. That shades GM's 6.6-liter V-8 by 29 hp and 11 lb-ft and Ram's 6.4-liter Hemi by 20 hp and 46 lb-ft. Note that the 7.3 replaces the 288-hp/424-lb-ft 6.8-liter V-10, while Ford's SOHC 6.2-liter V-8 still serves as the base engine in the F-250 and F-350, producing 385 hp at 5,750 rpm and 430 lb-ft of torque at 3,800 rpm. The 7.3-liter will be standard on the 2021 F-550, F-600, F-650 and F-750 Medium Duty trucks and E-Series, as well as F-53 and F-59 stripped chassis, and in many of these applications rated at 8,500-plus pounds gross vehicle weight, engines are rated for continuous power and the useful rev range is much lower. In most of these applications, the engine is rated at 468 lb-ft at 3,900 rpm, with horsepower limited across the rev range to the 350 hp it makes at the torque peak.

BUILT TO LAST INDEFINITELY
The 7.3-liter's forged steel crankshaft features oversized main and rod bearings, and it's fixed to the block with four vertical and two horizontal cross bolts. Many of the materials in use are upgraded to turbo-engine specifications. The roller bearings on the valve tappets are carbon-nitrided, piston-cooling oil jets are employed, the valvetrain is fed much higher rates of oil flow, and the variable-displacement oil pump is designed to be able to increase oil flow to maintain pressure as bearings wear or when viscosity drops at very high temperatures. The wear evident on an engine dismantled for our viewing after 3,200 hours of max-output running (that's 133 days of 24/7 flogging) is apparently so minimal that it's difficult to extrapolate a projected failure mileage.

These new one-piece forged steel pistons are far shorter in height than the second-gen Power Stroke's aluminum pistons, and they drop the compression ratio from 16.2:1 to 15.8:1. They feature much tighter ring lands and what are claimed to be the lowest-tension rings in the industry (for lowest-in-class friction). The piston pins are smaller than usual, and the connecting rod bearings they run in feature bronze inserts. The mass of the new steel pistons is only slightly greater than the aluminum ones they replace. New split-stream oil-cooling jets target both the piston crown and those new smaller piston pins.

More info in the article....

Last edited by SockPuppet; 08/08/19.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m going to be a buyer of a new 3/4 ton Ford gasser in the next month or so and I’m excited about the 7.3 but still on the fence. 2019s can be bad for over $10k off right now and the 6.2/6sp has been a bomb proof combo for the company I work for. If I can find a good deal on a 2019 with the 4.30 rear end I think I’ll be happy. But if there’s not much of an up charge for the 7.3/10sp it’s sorely tempting. Plus the Nov/Dec delivery estimates I’m seeing for 2020s is kind of a turn off. I’m going to go talk to my dealer Saturday and get his take on it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy of mine just bought a 2018 F-350 with the 6.2. Replaced his older Cummins that stuck an injector and washed out a cylinder. He has a 10K 5th wheel and various other trailers, and told me yesterday that he's satisfied with it so far. Said it takes some getting used to after having a diesel for so long but it's worth the trade-off for him.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was expecting better numbers. It barely beat what is out there right now.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

That was my initial thought as well but then I saw the torque curve on the 7.3. Based on the details of the construction it was clearly designed for longevity not raw power output.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ajmorell

That was my initial thought as well but then I saw the torque curve on the 7.3. Based on the details of the construction it was clearly designed for longevity not raw power output.

This is the feeling I get from it too. It was designed to give long lasting service in dump trucks, bucket trucks, and other industrial rigs. I’m actually surprised they’re putting it in the 250 and 350s but I guess they’re probably doing that to get production numbers up to pay for development.

And 400ftlb of torque at only 1500rpm is pretty impressive to me. That’s diesel numbers from a decade or so ago and guys are still going nuts over the the old rigs with 7.3s and 5.9s that we’re showing those numbers. I’m thinking coupled with the 10sp this thing will pull like crazy. The only question is will it drink fuel like crazy. Ford says it won’t but they aren’t going to advertise anything as being good for 8mpg, real miles on the road will be the true test I guess.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by ajmorell

This is the feeling I get from it too. It was designed to give long lasting service in dump trucks, bucket trucks, and other industrial rigs. I’m actually surprised they’re putting it in the 250 and 350s but I guess they’re probably doing that to get production numbers up to pay for development.

And 400ftlb of torque at only 1500rpm is pretty impressive to me. That’s diesel numbers from a decade or so ago and guys are still going nuts over the the old rigs with 7.3s and 5.9s that we’re showing those numbers. I’m thinking coupled with the 10sp this thing will pull like crazy. The only question is will it drink fuel like crazy. Ford says it won’t but they aren’t going to advertise anything as being good for 8mpg, real miles on the road will be the true test I guess.

Exactly. I bet fuel consumption won't be significantly worse than the 6.2 provided you can stay off the skinny pedal.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Fuel consumption should improve across the 2020 Ford Super Duty lineup because they'll all get an available heavy duty version of Ford's 10 speed automatic transmission.

The new 10-speed TorqShift automatic transmission is available across the range, with the six-speed automatic serving as the base transmission. Ford says the 10-speed “features a wider gear ratio span than the 6-speed and is designed for the harshest towing conditions.” The 10-speed also has selectable drive modes with normal, tow/haul, eco, slippery, and deep sand and snow modes.

Click Here

Last edited by walt501; 08/10/19.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Is this the new allison 10 speed?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No it’s a revamped for high torque version of the 10 speed in the Raptor.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And I guess I won’t have any details as soon as I thought. Was on my way to talk to my dealer today and found out they close at noon on Saturday. Busy all week and next Saturday so who knows when I’ll be able to get up there to see about ordering something.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TheKid
No it’s a revamped for high torque version of the 10 speed in the Raptor.

No, the 10 speed in the Super Duty shares almost nothing with the lighter duty F150 transmission that was co-developed with GM. The Allison 10 speed is exclusive to GM heavy duty trucks.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ford has chosen to call this engine platform: "Godzilla". I like it:-).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will someone build a blower/turbo for it?

Actually, with Ford's focus on the Eco/turbo engines,
they should have turned the 6.2. That would have been a cost saving,
fuel saving alternative. If they had room to add the pieces parts in the platforms.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info on the tranny. I work in an allison reman shop and rumors were Ford and Toyota were gonna use the new 10 speed. We knew Chevy would stick with it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Thanks for the info on the tranny. I work in an allison reman shop and rumors were Ford and Toyota were gonna use the new 10 speed. We knew Chevy would stick with it.

Not sure about Toyota, but the 2020 Super Duty will use a 10 speed, just not an Allison

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Ford has chosen to call this engine platform: "Godzilla". I like it:-).

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeeze...this sounds great!

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lot's of displacement, naturally aspirated, simplified top end and advanced lubrication. What's not to like.

...in three years. Let Ford work the bugs (if any) out.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Talked to the dealer yesterday, he said $1800 upcharge for the 7.3/10sp. Not bad IMO since the diesel is $9120.

But he said though the order banks open tomorrow they won’t see any 2020s until January 2020. That coupled with $10k in rebates and discounts means I’ll be buying a 2019 with the 6.2. The Elocker is a must have for me but the vast majority are 3.73s, hopefully he can find me one with the 4.30s.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I want to know what’s the lowest differential gearing that will be available on the 2020 Ford with the 7.3. That thing would be a beast with the 4.30s! I’m betting with the 10 speed 3.73 will be the lowest available though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think they're release available gear ratios yet, at least I can't find them.

The hp for pickups is 430. I see they have a reduced 350hp version for mid sized trucks, F-450 and up. I assume those are for commercial use where hill climbing isn't an issue.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went to the dealer this AM to talk about a pickup, looks like a 19 is in my future. The order banks are open and you can get a 7.3 with 4.30s, should be a monster of a workhorse. But I can’t wait until January to get a truck and the deals on the 19s are just too good, I’ll be saving about $12k off what an ordered 2020 with the 7.3 would cost me.
Sadly the only 6.2 truck with 4.30s we could find nationwide in the configuration I want doesn’t have any other options. No cruise, no power anything, AM/FM radio only, just bare bones basic and I want something a little bit nicer. So I’m hoping that I’ll be okay with 3.73s and I think I probably will, maybe it’ll get better mileage and I’ll forget about it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Wow! That 7.3 with 4:30s will definitely be a monster!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,633
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.