-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In grade school we must've been talking about the Ten Commandments in religion class. When talking about such things Dad would use a sort Socratic method, asking me questions to challenge my thinking. Came to the conclusion that lies no matter the effect or intent are still lies and are sinful. Kinda stuck.

And then there's, "O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive!"
(Walter Scott)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
if the truth is a fire burning brightly,

then an untruth is too much fuel, or oxygen?

or maybe not enough heat? heat is essential?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More like a dead cinder, meaning you'll screw yourself more often than not. See the Walter Scott quote.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

If you mix a little truth with it .....most people will believe the whole ChaCha.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i like your perspective.

ultimately there's a payoff in tellin' der truth.

a lot of folks want to sell the story a bit short for profit.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been searching for a link to this study high and low for several years but can't find it. Anywho...

There was a TV program about a study done at some college several years ago, perhaps as far back as the 70's, where they took a group of people and interviewed them. Before being interviewed they were told to lie about specific questions, supposedly unbeknownst to the interviewer. Most people are averse to lying, they give away little signs - tells as a poker player would call them -but some people can lie without batting an eye or showing any signs of remorse or guilt. Their reactions when telling the lies were recorded as part of an overall profile.

After the interview, they were divided into groups and each group was given various tasks and projects to perform, with some of the group receiving higher rewards than the others for individual performance and with the leaders receiving higher individual rewards for the performance of the group as a whole.

Invariably, the people who were the best liars became the leaders of the groups. They could lie to others to get them to sacrifice their individual rewards in favor of group rewards, IOW they had no compunctions whatsoever about lying to other people in the group in order to achieve higher personal awards.

The exact details of the study are getting fuzzy in my memory but that part has stuck with me all of these years. The best liars invariably became the leaders. It has caused me to never trust any "C" level corporate manager nor any politician ever, the higher the management level the more I distrust them. In fact, while politicians have varied capabilities, while some are dumb and some are pretty smart, they all have one well developed ability in common - the ability to tell lies without flinching or without one bit of remorse.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wife/khans banking app probably sounds like a foghorn going off automatically every time I buy something.

Ain't got a chance to lie no more.

Fugg it ....
It's easier to beg for forgivness.
Than ask for permission anyways.......

Last edited by renegade50; 08/07/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
she asks you : does this jean make me look fat ?

what is your answer ?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Son took that tangent during his last years of high school. Regardless of how trivial the question was his answer would always be what he thought we wanted to hear. Any home work assignments? Nope. Pets been fed? Yep. Any issues at school? Nope, but he was served with 80 some tardy notices in 6 months. How's work? Fine, but he really had no job. To this day at age 30 and half way across the country, if I can't verify his responses, I'm in serious doubt of their validity. It's strained our relationship to a fair degree, but wife seems to have gotten past it.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/07/19.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never been interested in going into politics.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Democrats have it down pat...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Gus
i'm talking about practicing by tellin' little white lies.

in preparation for some potential need to tell a whopper.

some people and occupations are quite adept at the art, right?

i'm one to believe there's no big lies and small lies. all the same, right?

so, if one practices tellin' small lies and get's good enough, big lies are easy, right?

Does "No honey, that striped dress doesn't make your as@ look big" count or would that be a pass?

My apologies to persiandog, I see you already asked this question. Birds of a feather I guess.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 08/07/19.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was advised by a lawyer that had no interest in my case, to tell the truth at a disposition, but tell it in such a way as to reinforce my side of the case.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love a good poker game, so yes, I lie my azz off.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm perfect. Never had the need to even think about lying.

cool

Maybe Obama will write a book on how he perfected his lying skills. Or maybe talk to an insurance salesman.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Gus
if the truth is a fire burning brightly,

then an untruth is too much fuel, or oxygen?

or maybe not enough heat? heat is essential?

I'll go.with oxygen.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If there are folks that have the audacity to ask me a question that is truly none of their friggin business.....I have the audacity to tell them a whopper!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
there's lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Most of the people I deal with lie. My best friend doesn't lie ever. Most of the people that work for me lie about things that don't even matter. I tell the truth at work and it is so rare for someone to be truthful when they admit they did something wrong, neglected something or forgot. I have never been chewed out when I told the truth yet. I tell them I am saving the lies for when it means staying out of prison or my life is on the line. More people need to practice telling the truth. Most think they have lying down pat.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.