Print Thread
Hop To
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Don't laugh one of my customers told me about a recent charter he went on and the captain used this stuff called smelly jelly and ran a identical set up without ,he caught 10 to 1 on the one with smelly jelly on it ,has anyone here ever used it and if so what scent for walleyes ? The stuff has a website

GB2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I use it for Salmon and trout.
Smear a little on the backside of a spinner blade or on a trolling plug works good.
Visual and scent attraction is a winning combination over just one of those things.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
They were fishing lakers

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And (I am almost afraid to go with this) where does one get "Smelly Jelly"?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd not touch this with a 3.048 meter pole. Years back a sponsored salt water salmon angle spent months towing an underwater camera and combinations of rigs and scents seeking to reach perfection. Best scent when it was all done was fuel and oil saturated bilge water.

Fair dinkum,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/08/19.

1Minute
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RickcNY
They were fishing lakers

Lakers will chew anything trolled slowly by them....I have some but have not used it in years

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I tried it years ago. Only thing that I could tell that it did was make my fingers smell bad....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use Smelly Jelly when salmon fishing, always. Wouldn't fish without it. I never use the stuff when fishing walleyes or anything else. Our salmon react very well to flashers and squid, and the scent seems to make a positive difference, whereas on the Great Lakes they seem to like spoons much better, and dodgers as well. Our fish won't go for either one. I have dusty tackle boxes and receipts to prove it.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most times fish will go after anything that resembles food. If you are fishing three in a boat it seems that the back of the boat is the worst place to fish from . Also seems either side of the boat will be better than the other on any given day. I`m talking lakes from 5 to 40 feet. I have used various stinky attractant`s and can`t say they did any good, but they did not seem to hurt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOTS of guys here in Utah swear by it, as well as the Pro-Cure brand. They use it for walleye, channel cats, kokanee salmon, trout, striped bass and wipers...almost everything. Pick the flavor that seems best for a given species and have at it. Crawdad works on most fish species here.

(It is VERY sticky and smelly. Avoid getting on your fingers if possible - especially if you snack while fishing! Keep some cotton swabs in a baggie to apply it. And the only thing that seems to remove it from lures afterwards is WD-40.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking of using the Nightcrawler flavor on some silly worms (very soft plastic) tied to a small hook for panfish. Any one try it this way?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Like any lure, bait or technique, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Never tried “Smelly Jelly”, but I’ve been using “Pro Cure” for years.
Mostly trolling for trout.
I have tested it many times, trolling two near identical lures, one with and one without.
There is NO consistency, other than the scented lure never catches less.
About half the time, the scented lure gets more hits and catches more fish, and half the time I see no difference.
That’s good enough for me.

Another thing, the flavor of scent used seems to make a difference, but it doesn’t necessarily make any sense. Often the scent that works best is something foreign to the water I’m fishing.
I caught quit a few trout this spring, in fresh water high mountain lakes using a “Crab” scent from “Hook Up Baits”, paired with one of their small jigs.
I have also had luck with Pro Cure “Trophy Trout” scent that smells like a chub bait fish.
The lakes I’m fishing have no chub in them.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Many moons ago I was told smelly jelly was illegal in Alaska .........too effective.

I used to use it a lot when trolling 4 rainbows.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick. I've never tried the jelly stuff, but for walleyes I'm a big believer in Dr. Juice on a jig, a Whistler Jig to be more specific. We get a lot of walleyes in Canada, but like with any fishing there are lulls in the action. Too many times I've put a drop of that Dr. Juice on my jig body and within seconds I'd get bit. 8 of us rented a cabin on a fly-in this last June and I got the largest and more fish than the other guys. I believe in the scent stuff.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd not touch this with a 3.048 meter pole. Years back a sponsored salt water salmon angle spent months towing an underwater camera and combinations of rigs and scents seeking to reach perfection. Best scent when it was all done was fuel and oil saturated bilge water.

Fair dinkum,

That was Charlie White, and his video was called "Charlie White's Salmon Spectacular." He went around doing seminars on salmon fishing and showing the video.

I particularly remember the segment on bilge water, and how it was most effective on salmon. He actually marketed a scent called, “Bilgewater”

I met him here in Whitehorse at one of his seminars, and bought a couple of his patented lures called "The Lure." Still have one in my tackle box, and it still catches lake trout.

Never did buy any Bilgewater. smile

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.