Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
60% of Idaho is public, mostly BLM and Nat Forest. Almost all of it's open for hunting. That's about 51,000 sq miles of hunting land.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Damn I wish it was population density. 1.2 million people in the state, roughly 800,000 live in the Lincoln and Omaha area. Third largest city is Grand Island but on football Saturday it’s memorial stadium in Lincoln. Density no, people like Ted Turner coming in a buying up half a million acres and closing most of it. There’s more but I won’t debate it.

it's too late for debate now.

the logic and process is moving forward.

who pays?

who receives benefits?

is the agreement fair enough?

if it's not fair, there's hell to be paid?

Hey Gus,

we all pay for it.

You too.

Come on out West and enjoy YOUR public lands.

Geno

PS, a few hours/ a day's drive will put you in over 500,000 acres on the Allegheny NF. Probably one or two closer to you too. (But we have lots out here for you to enjoy)

PPS matter of fact, come out this month and enjoy Burning Man on BLM land. Folks there would enjoy your perspective on life somewhat.

You a Burner V?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The part that confuses me, and it's hard to get answers over the phone with the game wardens. I apply for tags in Wyoming. There are quite a few units you could draw antelope in the first or second year. You look at the website, and those units say (*difficult public access). You look at the unit maps and they will have several blocks of public land from 3-8,000 acres that nobody can legally hunt. The maps have roads all over, but I guess they are oil/gas company or private roads. Seems like if the state or BLM was going to have all that public land, they would have an easement to it, maybe 1 parking lot, or on the roadside, and if someone wanted to hunt the far side, well it's walk in access only. At least it would be used that way, you'ld have to be willing to put in the work, but it could be used.

I've read about the trespass fee's to cross ranches. Haven't had any luck there on even getting a list of ranches that participate.

As far as local hunting goes. I see more people hunting my place than when I go to public land.

It normally doesn't bother me, but 1 year I had a guy open the gate, drive right by me in his diesel all the way out to a cleared point. He sat behind the wheel drinking beer with his gun out the window, 1 person got out and went in the woods, and a 3rd hopped in the bed of the truck and drank beer on a 5 gallon bucket....

Had another guy call the game warden on us for trespassing on "his" property. Told him to "go ahead and call", what did i have to worry about, place has only been in my family since it was homesteaded. Game warden really got a kick out of that guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Lennie
Area of each state owned by government (federal, state and local combined)

https://www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

Those numbers in the doc for Oregon don't jive with what I know and other sources. It shows 31.8%. It's more like 53%.

Maybe I'm misreading it.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42346.pdf

https://oregonwild.org/sites/default/files/pdf-files/OregonPublicLands1.26.15b.pdf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon about 52% public land mostly USFS and BLM. Here in the SE corner, most counties are about 70% public. Wonderful for hunting and fishing opportunities.

Also, no one can own or post ocean beaches.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/08/19.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by Gus
Damn I wish it was population density. 1.2 million people in the state, roughly 800,000 live in the Lincoln and Omaha area. Third largest city is Grand Island but on football Saturday it’s memorial stadium in Lincoln. Density no, people like Ted Turner coming in a buying up half a million acres and closing most of it. There’s more but I won’t debate it.

who pays?

who receives benefits?

Hey Gus,

we all pay for it.

You too.

Geno

PS, a few hours/ a day's drive will put you in over 500,000 acres on the Allegheny NF. Probably one or two closer to you too. (But we have lots out here for you to enjoy)

PPS matter of fact, come out this month and enjoy Burning Man on BLM land. Folks there would enjoy your perspective on life somewhat.

You a Burner V?

eek crazy

No way weasel, no way.

Perhaps in my crazy youth (I can neither confirm or deny that I may or may not have "inhaled").

Now I seriously dislike massive crowds of crazy people. I go to the desert for the reason you see in my signature line, not to be surrounded by thousands of folks.

I don't even like being inconvenienced when they come through town on the way from the cities to the North and West of us. The local chamber of commerce loves them though. Big signs outside the restaurants, ads for the Rabbit Trax gas station in the newpaper and such have started already or will shortly.

If you are, I sure wish you the best in enjoying yourself and the party.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Lots of public land to hunt in Arkansas. National forests and state management areas. Much of Southern MO north of us is state or National Forest land.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Renegade,
White and red oaks, hickory, yellow poplar, maples, etc. the SF is all woods and my property is woods, creek bottom and old pasture, all on rolling hills. Nearest agriculture is a couple miles away. I worked in Terre Haute South of Newport for 31 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by Gus

who pays?

who receives benefits?

Hey Gus,

we all pay for it.

You too.

Geno

You a Burner V?

eek crazy

No way weasel, no way.

Perhaps in my crazy youth (I can neither confirm or deny that I may or may not have "inhaled").

Now I seriously dislike massive crowds of crazy people. I go to the desert for the reason you see in my signature line, not to be surrounded by thousands of folks.

I don't even like being inconvenienced when they come through town on the way from the cities to the North and West of us. The local chamber of commerce loves them though. Big signs outside the restaurants, ads for the Rabbit Trax gas station in the newpaper and such have started already or will shortly.

If you are, I sure wish you the best in enjoying yourself and the party.

Geno

Lol, not my cup of tea either. Working for NDOT has led to some interaction with attendees, some of the vehicles I'd not drive around the block for fear of a breakdown. A coworker has a tire shop in Austin, a burner bus had a flat tire. Of the 10+ folks riding nobody wanted to pay $30 for the repair but offered to pay with "peace & love" so he started to take the tire off, shortly enough the money appeared, not without some rude gestures and name-calling.

Sorry for the hijack!

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A large percentage here in Wyoming....but, I’m too lazy to do the research for the exact amount. For us personally.....state land on one side, and BLM on the other. We have neighbors on each side, far too close.....about 400 yards! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
In much of the west the trust land was set aside for the schools. The income from leasing it out goes to the school systems.

The public can hunt anything that has a road access. Rules also are in place that while using these lands you must stay on established roads or trails.

Tracts with no public access can be hunted with permission of the lessee.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guv let's us call it privately owned land but in the end it's all owned by the government. We just pay rent on it.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
The guv let's us call it privately owned land but in the end it's all owned by the government. We just pay rent on it.

Someone’s been paying their property tax 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Si

Black Cows Matter!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When you add up all the city, county, federal and tribal lands, (all non-tax paying) it gets up to a high percent.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Looks like Utah is 3rd on the list...........75%....that's just fine with me......

as I always say.......this land is your land........this land is my land

(click linky)

https://www.summitpost.org/public-and-private-land-percentages-by-us-states/186111

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pay attention to what Flintlocke says, he lives in the epicenter of litigationist stupidity. The Greens have destroyed the ability of the Forest Service to do anything cost-effective and habitat-positive. Ambulance chasers (and stupid Bubbas) soured private landowners on public use, what it all boils down to is the decline of common sense and respect.
I;m amazed that Valsdad will bring up the Green lawsuits and still want the Feds in control of what are, in the end, local landscapes. Sure, back when the mission was multiple use, heck yes, it was wonderful. But now, fire and disease is running rampant, something which to me is just criminal.
I fully support turning over management of the "suitable" non-preserved federal estate to state interests. Not the ownership, just the management. Trust me, state trusts know how to make a profit while managing good habitat conditions and good public access -- for a price, but it's a REASONABLE price that covers the cost of the use.
It blows my mind that hunters will spend thousands upon thousands to equip and transport themselves to someplace and then howl like a scalded cat at the idea that they might have to pay a day fee. When it was "free," that's because timber sales and grazing income and mining permits and all the other productive uses in the multiple-use categories PAID for recreation infrastructure/access.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.