Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Looked at the list. The tags for bull where i go has 2800 some leftovers. reinforces my belief that Colorado is in the licensing business, not game management

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did you say 2800 ?? Or do you mean 280 ??

I don't see an area that has 2800 tags left open... I don't see anything that is too much different than last years list...

It looks normal to me...

Last edited by mikieb; 08/02/19.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
My memory failed a bit but:
EF006oR1. 1170 quota
EF006O2R. 1006
EF1912OR. 1440
EM011O1R 2182

I know some of those are areas that cover more than unit and they supposedly have an accurate count on the herds, but that is still a lot of hunters

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I think the BS about buying a small game license, etc. just to apply for a point or to buy an elk or deer tag may have bitten them in the butt..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
When parks took over wildlife we knew things would go downhill. Parks never has enough money. I think part of the merger was to cover misappropriation of Pittman Robertson money though the legislature claimed for efficiency

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I think the BS about buying a small game license, etc. just to apply for a point or to buy an elk or deer tag may have bitten them in the butt..

Several people from my area didnt even apply this year because with the new system it costs to much just to apply for a chance at the tag. Figured they'll just buy OTC tags. I'll go this year and stay with them, but i'll be trout fishing. Keep putting points into Wyoming.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just wait until next year when the second season starts on a Tuesday and both 2nd and 3rd become seven day hunts. Also, 3rd season will start 10 days after second season which will mean a better chance of heavy snow.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ro1459
Just wait until next year when the second season starts on a Tuesday and both 2nd and 3rd become seven day hunts. Also, 3rd season will start 10 days after second season which will mean a better chance of heavy snow.

Listen to the audio on CPW commission website. They modified and voted that rifle season chart to open 2nd on a Saturday 9 days after 1st. Essentially openening 2nd a full week later than usual. Full 9 days Saturday to Sunday. Then 5 day break, opening 3rd on Saturday for 7 days then a 4 day break until 4th. Pushes 4th to day before Thanksgiving most years. Fuggs up 4th season for lots of folks that have family Thanksgiving traditions. May be good for residents to hunt the typical 4-day weekend. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just read the final decision on the CPW web site. Second and Third seasons will be 7 day hunts with the 2nd season starting on a Wednesday. Third starts 10 days after the end of 2nd. Forth starts four days later and most years that season will be during Thanksgiving.

As for left over licenses... I spoke with a friend this evening and he said he got an e-mail from CPW stating there are 30,000 leftover elk tags available. They suggested he should apply for one.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I recommend you listen to the Day 2 audio. The final season setting for rifle deer and elk that was unanimously approved is not what is posted on the agenda page. That was up there weeks ahead of the July meeting. When it said revised by the commission it meant by the staff, not commission members who had issues with second season only having one weekend. They still have some issues with plains deer seasons that will be decided in September.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
WAM, you are correct. I called CPW and they referred me to this link.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/H...l_BGSS_Proposals_Approved_in_July19.pdf.

This is supposed to be the final report. The second season will now be a 9 day hunt starting on a Saturday and ending on Sunday. Then a five day wait and then a 7 day third season.

From the link above.

"The Second Combined Deer and Elk Regular Season shall be a 9-day season, followed by a 5-day break. Deer and elk combined season. Opens on a Saturday and includes two full weekends. Unlimited licenses available for antleredelkin OTC units. Limited either-sex or limited antlered elk licenses available in remaining limited units. All antlerless elk licenses are limited. Limited licenses issued by GMU/DAU.All deer licenses limited. Antlered and antlerless deer or antlered deer only, issued by GMU/DAU.P.

Third Combined Deer and Elk Regular Rifle Season shall be a 7-day season, followed by a 4-day break. Deer and elk combined season. Opens on a Saturday.Unlimited licenses available for antlered elk in OTC units. Limited either-sex or limited antlered elk licenses available in remaining limited units. All antlerless elk licensesare limited. Limited licenses issued by GMU/DAU.All deer licenses limited. Antlered and antlerless deer or antlered deer only, issued "

The gentleman I spoke with said this part was final.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone try and get a tag? I already had a B list tag, so wasn't overly concerned about picking up a second tag, but thought I'd try anyway. There were 21 bull tags and 17 cow tags for my GMU. I logged in at exactly 9:00:01am and immediately was hit with a 5 minute wait time which ended up being 14 minutes. By the time I tried buying the tags, they were gone. How could I have been any faster? Not that it matters, but geez, I can't imagine in person, or at the DOW being faster, they still have to enter each person's info and mine preloaded once I logged in.

K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I lost on antelope. There was a few way over by Hayden but I cant go there, then come home and go right back for elk the next week. And cant stay away from an ailing wife for very long if at all.
Putting a longer cooling period between seasons may help slightly on the pressure. Now if someone can predict snowfall for 2020 and 21 I will know exactly how to apply. I do hate elk, antelope, and deer being piled right on top of each other or concurrent with the ML licenses

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
RO1459, thanks, I’ve been wrong before and I can prove it. LOL!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just looked up the leftover Cow tags in the GMU I hunt and there are over 1,100 tags available. So much for paying for the small game tag next year. I believe there will be more available next year when the season dates are moved back and third is cut to seven days.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Should be able to buy OTC tag tomorrow with no problem for the unit I hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just tried to get a OTC with caps bear tag and system keeps telling me it's not a valid hunt code. I have an archery elk and deer tag for GMU63 and the tag I want is for the same GMU 53/63. I entered B-E-053-U1-A. Is this not the correct code?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally got it to go through. Must have been a computer glitz.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ro1459
Just looked up the leftover Cow tags in the GMU I hunt and there are over 1,100 tags available. So much for paying for the small game tag next year. I believe there will be more available next year when the season dates are moved back and third is cut to seven days.

I would never spend cash for the small game license to apply for a cow tag if there were usually leftovers. Scan the draw results from the past several years and track the trend of available tags and number of leftovers. Most units change only a little each year unless there is a devastating winter or major fires in the gmu. Since deer tags are all by draw, I would hesitate to apply that to that species. I am unaware of any good deer units with adequate access that have much in the way of leftovers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Historically, where we hunt cow leftovers are the rule, not the exception. Love it. Three-four years ago we were able to get Daughter #1 a leftover cow tag in late September or early October, whenever she became eligible for a resident tag after moving back to CO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.