Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I realize there is a huge difference between being struck by a rattler and dying from it, but the Wiki page on snake deaths just consumed an hour!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

I tried to paste the chart but it turns into a huge jumble... some interesting facts from their chart from 1950 to the present.

From 1950 to present they list 73 deaths by snake bite and 54 of those were rattlers.

Nine were exotics

Six by copperhead

Two by cottonmouth

57 males and 16 females.

13 were professional snake handlers killed by their keepers and I added one in there that died during the Brownsville Round-up.

20 died handling snakes at church services

So that means 53 deaths by wild snakes in almost 69 years.

In 2018 an 18 year old committed suicide by monocled cobra in TX.

Looks like your chances of being killed by a snake are mighty skinny if you do not go looking for them. There are no deaths listed for WY and only one in CO. Florida, TX, WV, TN, and a few others make up the vast majority. I saw a statement that a quarter of the snake bites in the US happen in TX, but cannot find it again. I also recognize the fact many instances in past decades would not get reported the way they are today and many are not included.

Sorry for the sidetrack...

Interesting stats.

The one stat I did NOT see was how many people got bitten and WISHED they had died. Google "rattlesnake bite aftermath" and hit "images".......... It ain't exactly pretty. Additionally, the hospital bill that ensues is routinely in the $100K+ range.

I hunt (predominantly) spring turkeys in Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Old Mexico, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland............all places that have a variety of rattler species. I'd much rather look around and take in my surroundings and ENJOY my hunts rather than have to look every time I put a foot down. My Irish Setter snake boots were about $150.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I realize there is a huge difference between being struck by a rattler and dying from it, but the Wiki page on snake deaths just consumed an hour!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

I tried to paste the chart but it turns into a huge jumble... some interesting facts from their chart from 1950 to the present.

From 1950 to present they list 73 deaths by snake bite and 54 of those were rattlers.

Nine were exotics

Six by copperhead

Two by cottonmouth

57 males and 16 females.

13 were professional snake handlers killed by their keepers and I added one in there that died during the Brownsville Round-up.

20 died handling snakes at church services

So that means 53 deaths by wild snakes in almost 69 years.

In 2018 an 18 year old committed suicide by monocled cobra in TX.

Looks like your chances of being killed by a snake are mighty skinny if you do not go looking for them. There are no deaths listed for WY and only one in CO. Florida, TX, WV, TN, and a few others make up the vast majority. I saw a statement that a quarter of the snake bites in the US happen in TX, but cannot find it again. I also recognize the fact many instances in past decades would not get reported the way they are today and many are not included.

Sorry for the sidetrack...

Interesting stats.

The one stat I did NOT see was how many people got bitten and WISHED they had died.
Google "rattlesnake bite aftermath" and hit "images".......... It ain't exactly pretty. Additionally, the hospital bill that ensues is routinely in the $100K+ range.

I hunt (predominantly) spring turkeys in Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Old Mexico, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland............all places that have a variety of rattler species. I'd much rather look around and take in my surroundings and ENJOY my hunts rather than have to look every time I put a foot down. My Irish Setter snake boots were about $150.

Good point!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Interesting stats.

The one stat I did NOT see was how many people got bitten and WISHED they had died. Google "rattlesnake bite aftermath" and hit "images".......... It ain't exactly pretty. Additionally, the hospital bill that ensues is routinely in the $100K+ range.

In the newspaper today, it had an article about a local lady that got bit by a baby rattlesnake while fishing. It took 34 doses of CroFab to save her at several thousand dollars per dose. Some kind of record for doses according to the article. The recovery didn't sound like much fun either. But at least she did survive.

Last edited by Lonny; 08/08/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love my Russell Turtle skin boots and the Danners are not bad either just hotter. I leave the top open when it is hot and not too bad even for dove hunting. I like that I can concentrate on hunting instead of having to watch my step. I think I have only seen two rattlers when deer hunting but sure do see them on spring turkey hunts and when setting up blinds. My closest calls have all been with Copperheads and Water Moccasin. I have stepped on them, had them slither down my back, and have had a copperhead join us on a picnic blanket when I was preoccupied with my girl friend.

The snake boots are the go to for any thorny country which is all of South & West Texas, the added snake insurance is nice too. In Wyoming I would only be concerned while putting on a crawl for Antelope. That sure could blow a stalk.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was antelope hunting near Casper around the 20th of September one year. The whole time was windy and cool (the day I shot mine was 38). Never saw a rattler. Crawled on my belly through sage brush about 20 yards to get in position for mine. I was talking to my BIL over the holidays and he had gone either a week earlier or later, and the weather was in the 70's or 80's. He said they were surrounded by rattlesnakes.

Long story short, I'd be real cautious in August.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used to live in Casper, and often went west along the N. Platte river to fish, hunt sage grouse, etc.

Often encountered rattlers in the sagebrush areas near the river. Hard to spot, due to their sage green coloration, which made them blend perfectly into the foliage!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just another reason to watch where you're going and watch the ground, not the screen, when you are out with Ma Nature. We have lots of rattlers here in SoCal, but the only time you see one is when you weren't expecting to. I saw three last Saturday on a tree planting workday at the local wildlife preserve, which is very close to the ocean and several suburban developments. One was a Mojave (sent the pic to a rattler biologist, since we aren't supposed to have them here. It WAS a Mojave.). But although two were coiled, none rattled and the Mojave boogied away down a ground squirrel hole as fast as he could go, which was pretty fast.

Almost all the snakes we are discussing, Mojave, Prairie, Pacific Rattlesnakes (Southern and Northern) are sub-species of the true Eastern Timber Rattler. I say "true" because popular names for snakes are often pretty far from accurate, biologically speaking. Where I come from in Northern CA (I DON'T mean the San Francisco Bay Area--We lived over a hundred miles north of there, and didn't consider Frisco Northern California) Northern Pacific Rattlers were called "Timber Rattlers."

Rattlers have personalities, or at least different threat-response instincts. Some are grouchy and touchy. Most are uninterested in anything they can't eat that isn't looking like it wants to eat them. NONE of them will tolereate being touched and if they only see a hand or a finger, they may decide that they COULD eat that!

A snake that gets caught out in the open while shedding its skin may strike at anything that comes near it, since it may not be able to see, or move efficiently, or sense body heat of a threat to tell how big or near it is. Most try to shed underground for that reason.

They are also touchy about getting caught in the sex act, like most folks.

As you can perhaps tell, I'm fascinated by rattlers, but mostly I just keep my eyes and ears open and watch where I put my hands and feet. The only time I will kill one is if it is in an area where kids are likely to be playing unsupervised or if it gets into a building or car. Kids and dogs are just too vulnerable to snakebite to take chances. Otherwise, leave 'em alone and enjoy seeing them. I only wear snake chaps when hunting quail where you often need to move fast through brush and can't look at every stepping place before you step there. But most rattlers hear or feel you coming and are gone before you arrive, or it is too chilly for them during hunting season.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just another reason to watch where you're going and watch the ground, not the screen, when you are out with Ma Nature. We have lots of rattlers here in SoCal, but the only time you see one is when you weren't expecting to. I saw three last Saturday on a tree planting workday at the local wildlife preserve, which is very close to the ocean and several suburban developments. One was a Mojave (sent the pic to a rattler biologist, since we aren't supposed to have them here. It WAS a Mojave.). But although two were coiled, none rattled and the Mojave boogied away down a ground squirrel hole as fast as he could go, which was pretty fast.

Almost all the snakes we are discussing, Mojave, Prairie, Pacific Rattlesnakes (Southern and Northern) are sub-species of the true Eastern Timber Rattler. I say "true" because popular names for snakes are often pretty far from accurate, biologically speaking. Where I come from in Northern CA (I DON'T mean the San Francisco Bay Area--We lived over a hundred miles north of there, and didn't consider Frisco Northern California) Northern Pacific Rattlers were called "Timber Rattlers."

Rattlers have personalities, or at least different threat-response instincts. Some are grouchy and touchy. Most are uninterested in anything they can't eat that isn't looking like it wants to eat them. NONE of them will tolereate being touched and if they only see a hand or a finger, they may decide that they COULD eat that!

A snake that gets caught out in the open while shedding its skin may strike at anything that comes near it, since it may not be able to see, or move efficiently, or sense body heat of a threat to tell how big or near it is. Most try to shed underground for that reason.

They are also touchy about getting caught in the sex act, like most folks.

As you can perhaps tell, I'm fascinated by rattlers, but mostly I just keep my eyes and ears open and watch where I put my hands and feet. The only time I will kill one is if it is in an area where kids are likely to be playing unsupervised or if it gets into a building or car. Kids and dogs are just too vulnerable to snakebite to take chances. Otherwise, leave 'em alone and enjoy seeing them. I only wear snake chaps when hunting quail where you often need to move fast through brush and can't look at every stepping place before you step there. But most rattlers hear or feel you coming and are gone before you arrive, or it is too chilly for them during hunting season.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive hunted out near Buffalo and a little farther south near Kaycee for about 25 years now, and have seen a couple of rattlers while hunting. One of the properties we hunt has a well known rattlesnake den, so we need to keep an eye out in that area when they begin to congregate just prior to denning up. Otherwise, just watch where you step and put your hands if you crawl, especially if going through sagebrush or rocks. Normally you have adequate notification they are there at walking pace or slower, and can just stop to see where they are, and adjust course as needed. Dogs have the most encounters as them move more quickly and aren’t always paying attention to what they are walking through. You’ll be fine, so don’t worry at all about it. Just go enjoy your hunt.

You just have to pay some attention and avoid stepping on them, and you’ll be fine.

As an example, I live in South Florida, and was born and raised here. Our snakes are generally pissed off here, it’s hot quite a lot of the year so they have energy, and some of the habitat we hunt you absolutely cannot see the snake at all, even if you are looking for them. A good example is running into a large Eastern Diamondback while walking back from your hunt, in the dark, in 90* heat, wading through waist high palmetto scrub. When the rattle goes off, generally you are close enough to be hit, and a large snake can hit you well above the knee, so you cant be certain of being protected, even with snake boots. Similar situations arise with Timber/Canebrake Rattlers farther north. Another wonderful situation is wading out of your boat at 4am to go set up duck decoys, in thigh high water, and having one of our wonderful cottonmouths greet you by swimming right up to you in the dark. These guys have no rattle, so no early warning here. Both have happened to me, more than once, and I’m still here to tell the tale with no bites.

So go enjoy your hunt, don’t worry about snakes, and post pics of your goat when you have them.

Craig

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

the one coiled that rattled, was in 4 inch grass on a slope that was some sage, some low grass, some open gravel. Even at 8 feet when I knew he was there, he was damn near invisible.

Scared my wife from wanting to tag along archery hunting, scared me enough to worry about going to get my camera again (I had set it on a fence post just before finding the little guy)

The second ran at our approach, which I am fine with!

OK here's the scoop..Ive been around them all my life and actively hunted them for decades. If they coil and rattle they are not being aggressive or angry...they are being scared. That said, its not the time to press them.
Otherwise they will do whatever it takes to get away from you...one of the most innocuous creatures out there. Never seen a prairie rattler that displayed ANY degree of aggression that wasn't forced intro it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Is there a better/worse time to wander out there? Snakes are cold blooded so maybe early/late as it cools? Or would that just put them out for the last sunshine.

Cloudy/cool days? Hot days?

I need to go grab that camera in the next 2 days, just wondering what time is best. Our eyes have been opened per se, and we will bring our hiking poles, there's no trees around , just sage, grass and rocks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snakes slow down considerably when it's cold. I've seen them out sunning but barely able to move. It's like watching a slow motion film.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No man, no need to apologize, good post. This is a great thread.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Here in the Central Texas Gulf Coast on the Lavaca-Matagorda Bay system there's a lot of rattlers, mostly Western Diamondbacks. Actually, the Eastern is more venomous and gets about a foot longer on the maximum end, but the Western is more aggressive or so they say and more prone to make multiple strikes. They also have
a lot of venom especially when coming out of hibernation when they havent eaten in a few months.

A guy that worked on the same shift with me but in another unit in the plant I worked in came to work one morning and called me and we talked about ten minutes. We hung up and got ready for our day and then I called him back about an hour later, but they told me he had an emergency and had to go home. I found out what happened that afternoon, His wife was getting the kids on the school bus and she stepped out the front door. A 4 foot Diamonback bit her on the back of the calf. A neighbor took her to the hospital in Victoria, about 20 miles away. He was called and met them at the Hospital. They were testing her to see if she was allergic to the antivenom. They give 4 test. Well the doc came out about half way through and told him he'd given her two test but her BP was dropping and they were loosing her and that he needed his permission to go ahead and give her the antivenom right then. So he did and they gave it to her. He said almost immediately she started improving. She survived but her leg got huge and black for about a week. Luckily she improved and went home in a few days.

That and a couple other incidents around here made me a believer. When I hear people play down the danger of venomous snakes I think they are clueless. Venomous snakes are not to be fooled with. I take every precaution when I'm out and about. Along these bays and out on these prairies rattlers abound. Back when I was in high school we had a savy game warden that told me this county, Calhoun, had the second highest population of rattlers in the whole state of Texas. I believed him because I had seen many when I was a kid living out on the prairie about a half mile from the bay. They may not be very aggressive but if you step on one or even get too close there's a good chance you will be bitten and if you're far from your transportation and far from town you may very well be in the middle of a situation.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

My wife and I went for a stroll today in one of the areas we will be antelope hunting in the Buffalo area.

I'd be more worried about the Buffalo.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We all hear stories about the thigh sized rattlers in TX or the demonic cottonmouths in LA but here in ID and WY, the only poisonous game is the little prairie rattler. They're small and timid, very unlikely to bite if you use a little common sense. They aren't that much of an issue. Just keep your eyes open and enjoy the hunt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We all hear stories about the thigh sized rattlers in TX or the demonic cottonmouths in LA but here in ID and WY, the only poisonous game is the little prairie rattler. They're small and timid, very unlikely to bite if you use a little common sense. They aren't that much of an issue. Just keep your eyes open and enjoy the hunt.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

If I was that concerned about things that bite etc. I'd never leave the house...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks everyone! It was a bit startling for a NH couple who've never seen one of them rattle things!

We went last night again to pull the camera, straight in and out, no snakes, just lots of cool antelope pictures :-) We just took our hiking poles and smacked all the bushes and rock piles we had to walk past.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Puttees...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are a hoot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.