That happens when sighted in for 1000 yards

Aim fer his feet Cleatus!

LOL
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
May I inquire as to where you located this fine specimen? I've never once seen one in person.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Greg I have a friend that works for a very prominent auction house. He travels the US and Canada picking up gun collections for auction so when he was headed north I asked him to find me an MHG, nyuk nyuk nyuk I think to myself. He called me one day and says I found one for you. I thought he was joking of course since they're not exactly dime-store common.

Turns out he wasn't joking. It took a few months to import, mostly due to a terribly unprofessional importer. *Side note, he lost all the auction house's future business.

It arrived a few days ago and I've been marveling at it ever since. If you are as fascinated by them as I was, you owe it to yourself to lay for one. They do not disappoint. I love that the balance point is forward onto the wood rather than the metal receiver as is common with the hunting model Savage lever guns. Would be warmer to hang onto in the cold Canadian weather than a standard rifle. Makes me wonder if maybe that wasn't the intent of the longer barrel and forward balance point?????

At any rate, I think they are fabulous pieces of history and am enjoying reading about and handling this fun firearm. The weight makes it very pleasant to shoot in the 303, but it feels surprising lean and svelte in my hands. As I said, it's a very neat firearm.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
its a tad nicer condition than the one I had, great job

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Shoots good although about 14" high at 100.

If ya'd been wear'in these for juju at time it would been on the money. Next time...

Hat pin
[Linked Image]

Lapel pin
[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for sharing the pictures Roy, That's as much detail as I've ever had on a MHG musket

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

If ya'd been wear'in these for juju at time it would been on the money. Next time...

Hat pin
[Linked Image]

Lapel pin
[Linked Image]

Coolness

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
Roy:

If you will send the rifle to me I will give it a thorough examination and report back to the members.

cool

Very good. Please send address and a gajillion dollars.

Please define "gajillion" If that is less than a bazillion Venezuelan pesos address to follow...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know you are not shooting it with the back sight up as pictured.

Right?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy

I know you are not shooting it with the back sight up as pictured.
Right?

Correct. Sight down and forward at it's lowest point.

The name on this MHG is "notman". I'm trying to connect this rifle to one Charles Notman. His father William was a pioneering photographer in Montreal.

[Linked Image]

William the oldest, Charles on the right. Charles Notman would have been 44 in 1914.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 08/10/19.

LOL
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty typical of most milsurps of the era. Sight folded down= battle sight, usually regulated for around 500 yards. It's where the old Sergeant's admonition to "shoot low, boys" came from. Where does it hit with the ladder raised and the slide in its lowest position?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody ever check with the McCord Museum or The Canadian War Museum’s Military History Research Centre to look for a roster of the Home Guard volunteers?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Pretty typical of most milsurps of the era. Sight folded down= battle sight, usually regulated for around 500 yards. It's where the old Sergeant's admonition to "shoot low, boys" came from. Where does it hit with the ladder raised and the slide in its lowest position?

I didn't try it, but it would be 300 yards or so on the scale, with whatever ammunition it was regulated for.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.british-immigrants-in-montreal.com/worldwar1andmontreal.html

On July 29th, 1914, Canada received a warning from Britain to take precautions in case of a surprise attack. Armed militia men were posted to guard tunnels, bridges, canals and railway stations.(Morton & Granatstein, 1989)

The Home Front 1914-1918
Volunteerism – with many men gone and the special needs of a country at war, most people wanted to “do their bit” .

“Give til it hurts” – The Canadian Patriiotic Fund depended on the populace to fund their charity. People were told that if they couldn’t fight, they could pay.

Local Militia – Some men were needed on the home front to protect the country. If you weren’t quite fit for overseas duty, you might be suitable for tasks at home.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I found a roster for the oldest volunteer regiment- 1st Regiment Canadian Grenadier Guards. Someone has a roster for the MHG, we just have to find it.

https://www.british-immigrants-in-montreal.com/grenadier_guards.html

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I believe Notmans may have taken this photo. I saw this on one of my searches today I believe here on the fire. Anyone recognize or have information on this photo? That may be Charles Notman upper row, left end.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice rifle Roy. I would like to see you bust a nice blacktail with it.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAS
Very nice rifle Roy. I would like to see you bust a nice blacktail with it.

So would I but aiming over a foot low is problematic.

Anybody know what the Montreal Home Guard would have used for ammunition? Since it wasn't chambered for their 303 British cartridge they would have had to get some from either Savage or some sporting ammo, right?

Or did one of the ammo companies develop ammo specifically for this application to sell to them?

Last edited by Fireball2; 08/11/19.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would surmise that they used a .303 FMJ load per military doctrine at the time.

What load did you fire out of it? For the purposes of paper punching I bet a low velocity plinker load would drop the point of impact a lot closer to POA. Maybe a 150 grain bullet at 1100fps or so. If I were hell bent on deer hunting with it I would load a 190-200 grain cast bullet at 1600-1700 fps MV and see where it hits- probably a whole lot closer to the bullseye than what you got, and with plenty of oomph to kill a deer. Let me know and I'll bring you a fistful of them to try.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/11/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

As Gary said. To better understand the problem I would do some research into what ammo (bullets and powder) the Canadians were using as service rounds. That is what the sights will have been regulated for. For instance the British were big into Cordite and the Canadians may have contracted with someone local to produce the ammo. Cordite may perform much different than anything used for powders these days. This is just speculation but ammo is half of the equation in solving your problem of hitting high.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.