Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I shot old Remington and newer Winchester both 180 factory loads. I've got a boatload of 150 and 180 gr bullets I could load for the 303.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by 99guy
Roy:

If you will send the rifle to me I will give it a thorough examination and report back to the members.

cool

Very good. Please send address and a gajillion dollars.

Please define "gajillion" If that is less than a bazillion Venezuelan pesos address to follow...

A gazillion falls between a bazillion and guganderous.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A quick fix for me would to be to settle on what round you want to use in the rifle and then change out the front sight for something that will hit dead on at 100, or whatever range you are comfortable with. Or just leave it alone as "it is what it is" and that doesn't necessarily have to accommodate modern sensibilities.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot old Remington and newer Winchester both 180 factory loads. I've got a boatload of 150 and 180 gr bullets I could load for the 303.

The Brits shot 174-grain bullets out of their Enfields so I wouldn't speculate on lighter weight slugs going in the direction you want. If I were reloading I would use heavier bullets and maybe even powders that come close to the burn rates of those that were used back in the period of the Great War. The rifle and sight is only half of the problem.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not changing anything out on the rifle. It's not like I need it to hunt with, it's just a curiosity.

LOL
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not changing anything out on the rifle. It's not like I need it to hunt with, it's just a curiosity.

Sounds reasonable to me. However it could prove to be an interesting exercise in reloading.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1) wonder what caliber that cane is?

2) note that all have leather slings in the photo.

3) since all purchased their own equipment they might have purchased ammo from Savage at the time the musket was ordered. It appears that about 3/4 were shipped in Dec., 1914 with a second order shipping in Feb., 1915. The second order has the highest Rack numbers which would indicate later new members to the unit.

4) Savage rifle ammo sales:
1912, 1,535,160 cartridges
1913, 1,521,120
1914, 2,231,052
1915, 4,388,260

Savage .303 #1 had a full metal case bullet.
Musket price would have been around $25 (guess).
1000 rounds of #1 was $38 so how any rounds would they have been required to purchase?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Rick I read yesterday that the MHG volunteers spent $35 for rifle and uniform.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe 100 rounds? 800x100=80,000...or less. What manufacture would have made a special run for that amount at that time. I don't think the ammo collectors have turned up anything other than commercial .303 rounds from that period.

Rick...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Roy you sure have been on a Roll with the Savage rifles! another Dandy rifle!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlering
Roy you sure have been on a Roll with the Savage rifles! another Dandy rifle!

And all of a sudden I'm catching fish too? Knowing my luck my plane will blast into a mountain on the way to PA in a couple weeks huh? LOL.

Blind squirrel buddy, that's all it is.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe it's time for a trip to Vegas!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
CIL , Canadian Industries Limited was likely the Company that manufactured the ammo . There was a box of it on here about 6 months ago .I think Salter was selling it but it was about $ 450. 00 a box. It was full metal jacket and about 190 grain.
I don't know when CIL ( Montreal ) became incorporated as a Company but they made 303 Savage ammo close to that era. .

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good to know.

So what's this about "surprise attacks" from the U.S. side of the border?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was CIL loading centerfire ammo in 1914?

Rick...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG

Once them fellas in PA are thru with this get together there won't be enough of me left for any stinkin trip to Vegas! I think Joe Martin is gunna keep me up at night talkin about fish.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Good to know.

So what's this about "surprise attacks" from the U.S. side of the border?

For crying out loud, have you forgot about the infamous Battle of Niagara Falls?!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Greg I have a friend that works for a very prominent auction house. He travels the US and Canada picking up gun collections for auction so when he was headed north I asked him to find me an MHG, nyuk nyuk nyuk I think to myself. He called me one day and says I found one for you. I thought he was joking of course since they're not exactly dime-store common.

Turns out he wasn't joking. It took a few months to import, mostly due to a terribly unprofessional importer. *Side note, he lost all the auction house's future business.

It arrived a few days ago and I've been marveling at it ever since. If you are as fascinated by them as I was, you owe it to yourself to lay for one. They do not disappoint. I love that the balance point is forward onto the wood rather than the metal receiver as is common with the hunting model Savage lever guns. Would be warmer to hang onto in the cold Canadian weather than a standard rifle. Makes me wonder if maybe that wasn't the intent of the longer barrel and forward balance point?????

At any rate, I think they are fabulous pieces of history and am enjoying reading about and handling this fun firearm. The weight makes it very pleasant to shoot in the 303, but it feels surprising lean and svelte in my hands. As I said, it's a very neat firearm.

It pays to have friends in the right places. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing the detailed pics.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think the longer barrel and wood handguards were pretty much standard fare for the day in WWI. Infantry rifles of the time were just starting to get away from their secondary use as pike weapons, what with 32-inch barrels and 16-inch bayonets and all. That's a lot of hardware sticking out there.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG

Once them fellas in PA are thru with this get together there won't be enough of me left for any stinkin trip to Vegas! I think Joe Martin is gunna keep me up at night talkin about fish.

Sorry, Roy, I go to bed at 9 and get up at 4. Don't talk till about 11, then don't stop till I go to bed at 9. Don't know what that will do to your jet lag?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,524
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.