Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
Late to the party, but my impression of them was that they were pretty soft in the sidewalls for a diesel. I know the OP was asking about a tundra, but as I recall he also tows a ~8500# trailer too?

I didn't find that to be true. I did of Duratracks that you could feel roll when going around a curve.I typically ran about 16,000 pounds with my 98 Dodge Cummins,slide in camper and 3 horse slant trailer fully loaded. The SST's, E rated, held up well,but you have to run max tire pressure

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I ran them as winter tires (studded), so don't have them on currently. They are certainly squishier than I like (I also ran them at 80PSI). Not a huge deal for me as I don't typically tow anything too heavy in winter, but I wouldn't want them on the truck year round. The swap to exo grapplers was noticeable.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Late to the party, but my impression of them was that they were pretty soft in the sidewalls for a diesel. I know the OP was asking about a tundra, but as I recall he also tows a ~8500# trailer too?

I didn't find that to be true. I did of Duratracks that you could feel roll when going around a curve.I typically ran about 16,000 pounds with my 98 Dodge Cummins,slide in camper and 3 horse slant trailer fully loaded. The SST's, E rated, held up well,but you have to run max tire pressure

I do tow a 25' Toyhauler that when fully loaded with top out at 83-8400 pounds, however I tow that 5-6 times a year. That's the extent of my heavy towing. When I do tow, I air my tires up accordingly. So far the tires seem great. Touch more road hum on the Freeway than the BFG's but they are also more aggressive and have 20/32" of tread - very beefy tires.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I run them on my old Toyota hunting truck and a 3/4 cummins Dodge that I pull the excavator with. Both 33" tall with 16" wheels. Pleased with them in the dirt and on the road. I notice gravel sticks in them pretty bad but it hasn't seemed to hurt anything.

[Linked Image]

LOL
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The swap to exo grapplers was noticeable.

That extra belt in the sidewall sure does add an awful lot of stability on a heavy pickup........

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for that recommendation BTW.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I currently have them on my '12 Taco.

They are my third set of tires on this truck after BFG MT's and a set of Toyo MTs.

My opinion of them...they performed very well but have not lasted as long as the previous MTs.
I do a lot of off roading including the El Camino Diablo, Yuma to Ajo.

26K on them and I need new tires, and yes, I religiously rotate my tires every 5K.

I won't be buying them again.

Last edited by SU35; 08/27/19.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SU35
I currently have them on my '12 Taco.

They are my third set of tires on this truck after BFG MT's and a set of Toyo MTs.

My opinion of them...they performed very well but have not lasted as long as the previous MTs.
I do a lot of off roading including the El Camino Diablo, Yuma to Ajo.

26K on them and I need new tires, and yes, I religiously rotate my tires every 5K.

I won't be buying them again.

Those tires are meant for snow/mud, cold, etc. and are softer, not desert driving, hence low mileage. It is always a compromise. I don't expect 50K miles out of a M&S tire.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Those tires are meant for snow/mud, cold, etc. and are softer, not desert driving, hence low mileage. It is always a compromise. I don't expect 50K miles out of a M&S tire.

I don't question the life expectancy argument, but I recall Cooper boasting about the years of development spent in Australia with the ST MAXX.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have them on my 2016 RAM 2500 diesel. They are OK, but I don't know if I can say I've ever had a tire on a diesel p/u that I can say is great. Pros: they are great on muddy roads, job sites (my work), gravel, rocky roads, and they look great. Cons: they suck in the snow (I have dedicated snow tires and there's no comparison), are louder than I'd like on the highway, I don't get more than 15K miles out of them, and they are expensive.

Colorado roads are curvy and typically either going uphill or downhill. Seldom flat. Backcountry roads are gravel and rocky, and I'm on them often. I tow a 8500lb. trailer a few thousand miles a year. RAM requires the rear tires to be inflated to 80psi - which destroys the center tread. The truck isn't some urban cowboy garage queen and the tires take a beating. While not great, I personally don't know of a better option and I've tried, numerous Coopers, Good Years, Bridgestones, one Firestone, and one Michelin.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

May be over kill on a Tacoma......but

After busting a Cooper AT3 SL w/3K miles on a graded BLM road

Decided on the ST Maxx.....currently this Taco only runs 7K miles annually

First rotation later this fall....

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Those tires are meant for snow/mud, cold, etc. and are softer,

I guess I didn't get that memo or see that advertisement.

Who told you that btw?

From Coopers own advertisement.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I have them on my 2016 RAM 2500 diesel. They are OK, but I don't know if I can say I've ever had a tire on a diesel p/u that I can say is great. Pros: they are great on muddy roads, job sites (my work), gravel, rocky roads, and they look great. Cons: they suck in the snow (I have dedicated snow tires and there's no comparison), are louder than I'd like on the highway, I don't get more than 15K miles out of them, and they are expensive.

Colorado roads are curvy and typically either going uphill or downhill. Seldom flat. Backcountry roads are gravel and rocky, and I'm on them often. I tow a 8500lb. trailer a few thousand miles a year. RAM requires the rear tires to be inflated to 80psi - which destroys the center tread. The truck isn't some urban cowboy garage queen and the tires take a beating. While not great, I personally don't know of a better option and I've tried, numerous Coopers, Good Years, Bridgestones, one Firestone, and one Michelin.

Nitto Exo Grappler. They're NOT like a Blizzak or other dedicated snow tire. They are however the best AT tire I've used on a diesel pickup in snow/ice. I don't really get lots of deep snow here in ND, but, we have packed snow/ice 3-4Mo/yr. I run 3-4K Mi worth of gravel annually and that doesn't seem to bother them much.

If you put the Exo's on, you'll be very surprised at how much more stable they feel and how mushy the Coopers were.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1

If you put the Exo's on, you'll be very surprised at how much more stable they feel and how mushy the Coopers were.

ST Maxx mushy? Lmao. Ok 👍

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have you run the Exo Grapplers in comparison personally? They do have very stiff sidewalls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those that don't know, Nitto markets the EXO as a Heavy Duty tire. It's the only model with that designation in their line-up, and is targeted towards industrial and commercial use like the M-55 from the sister-company, Toyo.

I've used the EXO since 2017, and it reminds me of the Toyo M-55 in terms of puncture resistance, but is much better against cutting, chipping, and chunking. This can be a concern in N. CA, OR, WA, ID, and BC, where there is sharp rock (like obsidian) but may not be an issue in other regions. So, what works for me in the PNW may not apply to someone who deals with red clay in the south Eastern US, for example. I also drive aggressively at high speed on these sharp rocks. But, I don't do much mudding.

The EXO also balances better, and does't follow rain grooves as bad as the M-55. The M-55 is almost legendary to some people for toughness, especially around here, but I think the EXO is an improvement.

That is not to say that the EXO is perfect. That stiff carcass and sidewalls do not lend themselves well to airing-down. Something like the KO2 with more flexible sidewall would be better if that is what you need for deep sand or snow. Or maybe the STT MAXX, as it seems like it's not as stiff as the EXO.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by horse1

ST Maxx mushy? Lmao. Ok 👍

Buddy has several sets of the Coopers through over 400K on 2 different Super Duty Ford diesels. It took one trip with a bean header on his flatbed behind my truck for him to swap.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The info about the ST Maxx being bad in snow and ice is total BS. I'm not in Colorado. Maybe Montana snow is different. As far as mushy, no. 3 ply sidewall, just like the EXO. mtmuley

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have you run both tires in question personally? Hard to have a valid comparison by reading specs alone.

Anyone that I have met who switched to Exo Grapplers from any other tire seems to love them for being stiffer and better traction. They are showing up on more and more stock-trailer-hauling pickups around here.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Have you run both tires in question personally? Hard to have a valid comparison by reading specs alone.

Anyone that I have met who switched to Exo Grapplers from any other tire seems to love them for being stiffer and better traction. They are showing up on more and more stock-trailer-hauling pickups around here.

They're tough/stiff like an M-55 but actually have good traction on packed snow-ice without having to have studs.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.