-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a 7 day backpack hunt booked and need a pack that is 5000ci+ that can carry a rifle. Because of my age and health this will probably be my last backpack hunt. I've been looking at the top brands but don't really want to spend $5-600 for a pack and turn around and sell it next year. I don't want to fight a cheap pack (BTDT) but is there a decent mid price pack that will work in maybe the $250-300 range? Been searching the classifieds and craigslist for a Mystery Ranch, Kuiu or Kifaru, etc. but haven't had any luck yet.
Anybody have an old one cluttering up their garage they will part with?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There was like new second hand icon 5200 pack, suspension and CF frame listed in that range. I think it was on here.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pard, get your pack of choice and rig a Kifaru gunbearer on it ...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I second what Greg said, I would find a pack you like from a respected company ( think stone glacier, exo, kifaru ....) and then sell it after you no longer need it, they hold their value , you'll maybe loose $100 or so: a small price to pay for using a well made pack that fit you well.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A member om AR had a Stone Glacier Sky that was lightly used. Looks like my problem is solved.
Thanks!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some will disagree but I loved my Tenzig, 7 days gear and gun. Hauled out half and elk too with RELATIVE ease.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
A member om AR had a Stone Glacier Sky that was lightly used. Looks like my problem is solved.
Thanks!

Congrats!
Order a SG quick release sling as well as a universal Kifaru gunbearer and try out both before your trip. I prefer the former but lots of guys, including a couple of very knowledgeable guys on this thread, prefer the latter.
I think you will love your SG - and should you decide you want to sell it after, you will have no trouble. My suspicion is you may not want to!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kuiu has a pretty slick looking gun sling, anybody tried one?

Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I don't do Kuiu. Montana Rifle Slings work great for me.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rifle/shotgun Scabbard Nylon...attach to pack...use 1/2" smooth nylon webbing attached to stock grip with a loop easily accessible to your hand reaching back to lift the firearm UP...FORWARD and into port arms, low or high ready positions.

Obviously limited with close proximity vegetation overhead.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kifaru Reckoning will hold its value better than any $300 pack. You’ll be out more selling pretty much anything else, especially if you count how much energy/time you put into trying to sell it.

Check Rokslide often, get a good deal on used reckoning in good shape and you probably won’t be out much more than shopping when you sell.

Don’t sell right after hunting season. July and August are the best time to sell.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Let me know if your pack falls through. If you'll pay shipping I'll send you one you can borrow. I've got an old McHale that might fit the bill--it's plenty big. I think you'll like the SG--I like mine a lot but it is far smaller than 5k ci (and it's on active duty). I've also got a MR that I don't use but it only has the Crew Cab bag and doesn't measure to that size.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

The Kuiu quick draw lower with a Kifaru gun bearer upper is the best thing going IMO. The Kuiu easily attaches to a belt with a pals matrix, and it doesn't drag near as much when pulling out a rifle (no need to unbuckle it, works like a gun bearer with it buckled) but even better it attaches at each side of the cradle instead of one connection in the middle - this completely prevents rotation. I ran it on my Kifaru pack with no issue and now run it on my Kuiu with the Kifaru gun bearer upper attached to it with no problem (the Kifaru specific one works fine on Kuiu, no need to get the sloppier universal one). Kifaru sells just the upper for like $5 on their site.

Here is the Kifaru upper on a Kuiu shoulder strap (the tab is bent up for the pic, it will lay down):

[Linked Image]

And in the upper right of this pic you can see the Kuiu lower on a Kifaru belt:

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Talked to a local sheep outfitter the other day. His son is on his third Kuiu pack as they keep breaking. He thought it was great that they kept sending him a new one. He was wearing a Stone Glacier hat so I asked about them. He uses one. Says they should break given what they weigh, but he can’t make one fail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been using a Kuiu for about 4 years

Its a good pack for the money

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Been using a Kuiu for about 4 years

Its a good pack for the money

[Linked Image]

It's a good thing the camera angle caught your right side, or you never would have been able to sneak your Frankenstud into that pic grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I noticed that too. Can't blame a fella for a little self promotion.

Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The one thing you need to be careful of when using the KUIU gun holder. I have three rifles that the butt will not fit in the holster. The butt stock is to big. I put it on the shelf and bought a Stone Glacier which I really am glad that I got.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got the used Stone Glacier. It is an older model (I think) because it has no external pockets but it does have a sling. Other than the pockets it is in excellent shape and should get me by at least for this hunt.
Thanks for all the input.

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 7 day backpack hunt booked and need a pack that is 5000ci+ that can carry a rifle. Because of my age and health this will probably be my last backpack hunt. I've been looking at the top brands but don't really want to spend $5-600 for a pack and turn around and sell it next year. I don't want to fight a cheap pack (BTDT) but is there a decent mid price pack that will work in maybe the $250-300 range? Been searching the classifieds and craigslist for a Mystery Ranch, Kuiu or Kifaru, etc. but haven't had any luck yet.
Anybody have an old one cluttering up their garage they will part with?

You pay the freight to you and back, I'll send you one of my Seek Outside Evolution packs to use for that hunt. It sounds like exactly what you need. I think it is 5200 CI. It has the side pockets into which you drop your rifle butt and strap it to the pack. Let me know if that interests you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.