Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I came upon a model 1000 20 gauge autoloader in a pawn shop. It is marked "made for Smith & Wesson in Japan" Gas operated, 26" barrel, IC fixed choke, really good condition; obviously shot very little. It is lightweight and seems to fit me. Externally, it looks like a Remington 1100. Price is $335 OTD.

I am unfamiliar with this gun. What say you?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It was made for S&W by Howa and imported by S&W from 1985-87 roughly. When S&W dumped their long guns around this time, Mossberg picked it up for two more years and continued to call it the Model 1000. It came in 12 and 20 ga. The Super model was the first to use a self compensating gas system that allowed on to shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells interchangeably. Those with choke tubes used the Winchoke system.

I had a 12 ga Super model for a while, I liked it but it was a bit fussy regarding wanting to be clean. It did not run well field hunting waterfowl, particularly with magnum lead and the early steel loads. The bolt buffer was a little delicate and needed changing more than any other gun I owned. Parts can be a bit expensive as there is only one place to regularly buy them (someplace in Texas IIRC) and time is having its toll on what is left. The gun went down the road with a couple other shotguns to buy a Beretta 390 in about 1997.

I found it a nice handling gun and I occasionally regret selling mine. That is short lived when I realize how much more dependable a Beretta 390/391 or Browning Gold has been for me. The Model 1000 isn't something I would buy as my one and only shotgun but I would be tempted to buy another if the price was low enough. For a back up to a proven dependable gun it should be fine. Just replace the bolt buffer as it probably deteriated some over time.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
It was made for S&W by Howa and imported by S&W from 1985-87 roughly. When S&W dumped their long guns around this time, Mossberg picked it up for two more years and continued to call it the Model 1000. It came in 12 and 20 ga. The Super model was the first to use a self compensating gas system that allowed on to shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells interchangeably. Those with choke tubes used the Winchoke system.

I had a 12 ga Super model for a while, I liked it but it was a bit fussy regarding wanting to be clean. It did not run well field hunting waterfowl, particularly with magnum lead and the early steel loads. The bolt buffer was a little delicate and needed changing more than any other gun I owned. Parts can be a bit expensive as there is only one place to regularly buy them (someplace in Texas IIRC) and time is having its toll on what is left. The gun went down the road with a couple other shotguns to buy a Beretta 390 in about 1997.

I found it a nice handling gun and I occasionally regret selling mine. That is short lived when I realize how much more dependable a Beretta 390/391 or Browning Gold has been for me. The Model 1000 isn't something I would buy as my one and only shotgun but I would be tempted to buy another if the price was low enough. For a back up to a proven dependable gun it should be fine. Just replace the bolt buffer as it probably deteriated some over time.

Woodsmaster:

Thanks for the detailed response.

I think I'll pass on this one, based on the reliability issues you cited and the disappearing stock of spare parts you mentioned.

Much appreciated!

Last edited by Winchestermodel70; 08/10/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold literally hundreds of S&W 1000 autoloaders back when they marketed the gun. We were allocate one S&W handgun for every long gun we bought from the wholesaler and moved a lot of guns. We never got one back that had malfunctioned or had a dissatisfied customer.

I bought one in 20ga that had killer wood and had a 2 3/4" chambered I/C barrel and a 3" chambered I/M barrel for the gun; both worked flawlessly. The spare parts issue can't be denied, however.

I sold mine ten years ago to a friend who wanted it for his wife. I've offered to buy it back every year for nine years. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Actually made and sold as far back as 1978. We were shafted by Smiths "premium" policy also. Want a 29? Buy $440 worth of other Smith products other than handguns. Two 1000s to get a 29.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 3,338 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.