-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any body have an opinion on the 308 cougar voraree Austrian bolt action mauser?

Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Any body have an opinion on the 308 cougar voraree Austrian bolt action mauser?

Thanks

Voere?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think so

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Angus 1895:
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the recent cool spell and rain has made it's way down to you folks and this finds you well.

With the understanding that I'm going off a wee bit of a foggy memory tonight, I'd offer the following thoughts on a couple rifles I've worked on over the years that looked like this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They're built in Austria from military 98 actions - I'm guessing from various makers - and the maker's numbers and Nazi proofs are mostly or completely removed.

It's interesting to me that they installed an interesting plug into the stock safety and still used the original military shroud that way.

Some of the photos of the newer ones look to have a commercial bolt shroud, but I don't know if they're commercial actions or still military.

The trigger itself includes the attached tang safety, which I don't mind, but ends up a wee bit more complicated than some other solutions. It's still workable and can be bedded easily however and is definitely better made than the pot metal housing trigger found on most Parker Hale rifles.

Overall, I'd think they'd be an okay foundation for a traditional type hunting rifle, though it wouldn't be the same "known quantity" as either an FN made 98 action or one of the very fine Husqvarna made actions - though I know that the Husky is a blend of large and small ring and aren't "exactly" pure 98 Mauser actions.

One I worked on was chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and didn't feed all that well. The owner said his father had purchased it new in the '60's and it always fed poorly.

I had to regrind the extractor to fit the larger rim to make it feed, they'd left it the stock .473".

Otherwise I can't think of anything else that stands out from the admittedly small sample I've worked on.

Hopefully that was useful information for you or someone out there tonight.

All the best to you as we head into the fall and hunting season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.