Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have only ever used the bucket of water - lit candle way to anneal. now another site they say that doesn`t work they say brass needs to go up to 750 degrees before it is annealed. i have watched it at a ammo factory get annealed and i know dang well that was not 750 degrees either. so what is the temperature or better way to anneal ? or does the candle-water bucket work ,which i think does ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mule Deer has written a good bit about this, I believe a whole chapter in one of his books. But I cannot remember which one, and I am away from the house at the moment. He did go deep enough into the science to be comfortable with the method he uses, which I believe is a candle flame and a wet towel. Hopefully he will jump in, or someone else will, who has their books at hand and can tell you where to find it.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are a few ways to accomplish this. Here is the method I use. It's called salt bath annealing. https://ballisticrecreations.ca/ Prices are CDN, so take off about 30% for USD.

If you have no equipment, this system is less than $200 CDN (approx. $150 USD). Which includes the salt, thermometer, case holder and Lee pot. I have been salt annealing for awhile, and it beats the candle method to bits. It is faster, and much easier on the fingers. Watch the video.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Candle works great. You don't need a bucked of water either. A damp cloth does just fine to wipe it off when it's too hot to hold.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A propane torch. When your fingers get hot, stop. Air cool or quench, whatever floats your boat. It ain't rocket science.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
GunDoc7,

The chapter is in THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK II, and does explain the science--along with using several methods from the old "heat until red and tip over" to candles to several machines, including what is probably the most advanced (and expensive) annealing machine, the AMP.

Any method of annealing brass involves a certain amount of temperature, applied for a certain amount of time. How complicated and precise a handloader wants to get is another question, which I believe the chapter answers. But two things are certain: Heating brass until it glows red is NOT good, and "quenching" is NOT required.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Craigster
A propane torch. When your fingers get hot, stop. Air cool or quench, whatever floats your boat. It ain't rocket science.

This.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hold mine in the flame of a propane plumbers torch....with a pair of needle nose players...why burn your finger tips?

the tank I use is a 7 gallon camping propane tank... I put about $10 worth of propane in it about 12 to 15 years ago...
I anneal a lot and its no where near half full yet.

223, I hold them into the flame and count to five a regular voice speed...
then drop the case into a light galvinized bucket from Wally World many years ago, that ran me a dollar.

when I am done, I just let the brass cool down in the bucket, by placing it in the frig, that sits next to my reload bench.

243 for instance, I hold that in the flame for about 6 seconds...by count.

as said above, not rocket science....guess I'd have to give any credit for info I have followed to Scenar Shooter and from some of his posts...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hold mine in the flame of a propane plumbers torch....with a pair of needle nose players...why burn your finger tips?

I do one or two using the top method, while counting Mississippi's, and then using a long barrel socket of the appropriate size to hold the brass in a drill, I just count off the Mississippi's without burning my fingers. I guess I should make a list of the different brass that I reload and the times it takes so I don't have to do that every time. But then looking for that list would be time consuming. smile miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I use an AMP MkII induction annealer. It has software that you can use to analyse a sacrificial case from a particular brand and batch of brass. This generates a code that you then use for all brass in that batch. It is fast, clean and accurate. It will anneal brass up to .50 cal. Well worth the price IMHO.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DNA Anneal link

Alternative to the candle, is more cleaner.

GOA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by milespatton

I do one or two using the top method, while counting Mississippi's, and then using a long barrel socket of the appropriate size to hold the brass in a drill, I just count off the Mississippi's without burning my fingers. I guess I should make a list of the different brass that I reload and the times it takes so I don't have to do that every time. But then looking for that list would be time consuming. smile miles

I usually do the same thing except I use a metronome app on my phone to do the counting instead of Mississippi’s.
I have started using the same salt bath annealing setup as Steve Redgwell. The setup takes longer, but once going can anneal a lot of brass very quickly.

Last edited by mod7rem; 07/27/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by zeissman
I use an AMP MkII induction annealer. It has software that you can use to analyse a sacrificial case from a particular brand and batch of brass. This generates a code that you then use for all brass in that batch. It is fast, clean and accurate. It will anneal brass up to .50 cal. Well worth the price IMHO.

You would have to do an insane amount of shooting to get the value out of one of those.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BWalker

You would have to do an insane amount of shooting to get the value out of one of those.

Eliminating question marks/variables is value enough for some.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I'm a little OCD but I use a propane torch and Tempilaq. I like to know that the job is done right. The torch and Tempilaq cost about $25. Put the shell in an appropriate size socket chucked in a battery powered drill, heat until the Tempilaq changes color and dump.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by BWalker

I do a lot of shooting, I have a good range two minutes drive from my home. But more importantly, I get consistent neck tension and that equates to better accuracy. I need the best accuracy I can get for certain competitive target shooting events. Doesn't hurt for hunting rounds either. I anneal the cases after every firing. The cost of an AMP is not a lot spread over the many years of use it will provide.

Originally Posted by SawDoctor
Eliminating question marks/variables is value enough for some.

Exactly. Gave up on the propane torch a while back because of that reason.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
There are a few ways to accomplish this. Here is the method I use. It's called salt bath annealing. https://ballisticrecreations.ca/ Prices are CDN, so take off about 30% for USD.

If you have no equipment, this system is less than $200 CDN (approx. $150 USD). Which includes the salt, thermometer, case holder and Lee pot. I have been salt annealing for awhile, and it beats the candle method to bits. It is faster, and much easier on the fingers. Watch the video.

This looks very interesting

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Salt bath annealing is cheap, quick, and easy and it doesn't cost $200.

$40 for a Lee lead melter, $12 for a lifetime supply of the salts (stump remover, fertilizer), $35 for a thermocouple temperature meter, and $20 for a lab ring stand to hold everything. You do need a stainless steel thermocouple probe that can stand the temperature. One of these days I'll ditch the thermocouple temp meter and substitute an electronic controller that can handle the lead melter current. Then I won't have to keep one eye on the temp, and keep adjusting the knob on the melter while I work. But when I first set up, I already had the meter, so have been using it to avoid more cash outlay.

Brass anneals faster at higher temperatures, and there is no penalty for being a bit on the warm side. I run my salt bath from about 785 F to 840 F. At those temperatures, it takes 3 seconds or less to anneal brass. The amount of annealing increases linearly with time, and increases with the cube of temperature (Kelvin).

I checked my annealing by cutting a chunk out of the sidewall of a rifle case, and flexing it back and forth 90 degrees until it cracked. 7-8 flexes would usually do the job. Then I took another chunk from the same case, annealed it, flexed it 5 times, annealed again, and repeated. Sometime after 120 flexes I gave up trying to crack it. It had more endurance than I did.

Yes, if you're quick there is no reason to drop the brass in water. Dropping it in water is not really quenching. You're just making sure that the case head doesn't get softened. I usually water cool mine, but that isn't based on any scientific investigation. It doesn't slow up the process, it might prevent a problem, and once it is cooled it won't burn your fingers.

Here's my process:

Last edited by denton; 08/11/19.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by denton
Salt bath annealing is cheap, quick, and easy and it doesn't cost $200...

You're right, but I never said that it cost $200. Here's what I said. And I am in Canada.

Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.