-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use an electric drill to slowly rotate the case held in a proper size shell holder in a semi dark room. Remove the heat as soon as the neck/shoulder turns deep red. No water. I use two shell holders to make handling easier.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I've read the link, and am having a hard time reconciling it with my experience. To believe the results, you have to believe that you can heat brass to 800F and NOT anneal it. It also conflicts with my experimental results.

I checked my annealing by cutting a chunk out of the sidewall of a rifle case, and flexing it back and forth 90 degrees until it cracked. 7-8 flexes would usually do the job. Then I took another chunk from the same case, annealed it, flexed it 5 times, annealed again, and repeated. Sometime after 120 flexes I gave up trying to crack it. It had more endurance than I did.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use one of these
[Linked Image]

It works well but, to do it again, I would probably spring for the AMP.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tack
I use an electric drill to slowly rotate the case held in a proper size shell holder in a semi dark room. Remove the heat as soon as the neck/shoulder turns deep red. No water. I use two shell holders to make handling easier.

Brass begins to glow a faint orange at about 950° so I'm assuming a deep red might be approaching 1300° In either case both of them are going to produce brass that is "over"annealed the deep red approaching "extreme" annealing

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, the old "red glow" that used to be advised for annealing WAY over-anneals brass. Heating to 800 does not make brass glow even faintly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by denton

I've read the link, and am having a hard time reconciling it with my experience. To believe the results, you have to believe that you can heat brass to 800F and NOT anneal it. It also conflicts with my experimental results.

I checked my annealing by cutting a chunk out of the sidewall of a rifle case, and flexing it back and forth 90 degrees until it cracked. 7-8 flexes would usually do the job. Then I took another chunk from the same case, annealed it, flexed it 5 times, annealed again, and repeated. Sometime after 120 flexes I gave up trying to crack it. It had more endurance than I did.

I cant wrap my mind around that either.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

loaded 6BR Lapua.......p/dog gun...........

got up to 45 reloads in Gold Box 6BR Lapua per case....Never annealed...........

what'd I do wrong ?

P/dogs consistantly died out to 600 yds......pic 6BR (Ret)

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
alchemy

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by tikkanut

got up to 45 reloads in Gold Box 6BR Lapua per case....Never annealed...........

what'd I do wrong ?

You're probably using a moderate load and a Lee Collet Die. smirk

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Am guessing you didn't resize them in conventional dies!

There are all sorts of things that affect the "need" to anneal. One is how much the case necks are sized each time: The less they're sized down, the less they work-harden. Which is one good reason to use dies that don't have an expander ball, whether Lee collet dies, or bushing dies that only neck them down enough to hold bullets firmly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

this (in pic) was a dedicated p/dog gun.......

retired in summer of '18.....built in 2002..12 twist for 70-75's

dies.....yes......Lee collet neck & Redding bushing neck dies........Forster BR seater

Built on a s/shot Savage action.....assembled by Pac Nor (before I knew how) nutless

Ran it 16 years......with an honest estimated 13K rds........

Last day I used it in pic........dogs died at 625 yds......awesome cartridge !

Still have the barrel.........parted the rest out.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by tikkanut

what'd I do wrong ?

You're probably using a moderate load and a Lee Collet Die. smirk

6BR.......31/H4895 with moly 70 gr Nozler BT.......3300 fps IIRC.....

Last edited by tikkanut; 08/14/19.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

The reason it doesn't seem to make sense is because they've taken the position that full annealing is the only proper way to anneal. What reloaders refer to as "annealing" is typically referring to recovery annealing, that is, keeping temperatures relatively low to gain a modest increase in ductility (reduction in hardness) while retaining the basic strength properties of the material. When you keep the brass at 800F as in your example, that's recovery annealing. To take an often used example, when the cases get red hot, that's moving past recovery and into full annealing where there's a much larger increase in ductility (large reduction in hardness) along with a large reduction in the strength of the material.

So when AMP is saying Salt Bath Annealing isn't effective at softening cases it's misleading. SBA is effective for recovery annealing, the type of annealing reloaders normally practice, but isn't effective for full annealing which AMP is claiming to be the proper way to anneal.

I'm not taking a position on which is "better", just explaining the basic idea behind the seemingly contradictory information coming from AMP.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anybody use the Giraud propane case annealer? Looks to be infinitely adjustable for temp, and duration of exposure to heat. Several feed wheels to fit most cartridges.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by brydan

The reason it doesn't seem to make sense is because they've taken the position that full annealing is the only proper way to anneal. What reloaders refer to as "annealing" is typically referring to recovery annealing, that is, keeping temperatures relatively low to gain a modest increase in ductility (reduction in hardness) while retaining the basic strength properties of the material. When you keep the brass at 800F as in your example, that's recovery annealing. To take an often used example, when the cases get red hot, that's moving past recovery and into full annealing where there's a much larger increase in ductility (large reduction in hardness) along with a large reduction in the strength of the material.

So when AMP is saying Salt Bath Annealing isn't effective at softening cases it's misleading. SBA is effective for recovery annealing, the type of annealing reloaders normally practice, but isn't effective for full annealing which AMP is claiming to be the proper way to anneal.

I'm not taking a position on which is "better", just explaining the basic idea behind the seemingly contradictory information coming from AMP.

That's a pretty good analysis and a good description how they supported their conclusion.
My take on it was that AMP sells $1500 annealers, and has a pretty big stake in "proving" that nothing else is as good, especially if it's just a $100 DIY setup. I was surprised how many people believed it though, and several even claimed that a company like that wouldn't mislead us.

I also observed that the pictures of AMP's "salt bath annealed" brass look different than any brass I've annealed in a salt bath, so they did something different there. When salt bath annealing, I don't see dark case necks like they got. I get bright case necks with a pretty distinct "wet line" just past the shoulder where the bath surface was, and some darker discoloration past that.

One other comment on salt bath annealing - most of us keep the salt bath at 900°F. We're trying to get case necks up to 750°F, but with heat transfer, we're trying to heat the necks without heating the base, so we have to use a higher bath temp and keep the time short.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/26/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a friend that has an Annealeze. I give him my cleaned de-primed brass and he anneals them for me. He has told me that after I resize, and trim to let him anneal them again for uniform neck tension. Is annealing them a second time worth it? or is that overdoing it? I am good either way, as my only cost is a few propane bottles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you supposed to anneal after sizing?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have been loading for years and years and I have never anelled a single piece of brass....what is the benefit...?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I have been loading for years and years and I have never anelled a single piece of brass....what is the benefit...?

Consistent neck tension for accuracy, and eliminating case neck splits. In loading for years and years, have you never split a case mouth?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Are you supposed to anneal after sizing?

I anneal before resizing.

With salt bath annealing, you do need to deprime first though.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.