Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
http://www.massreloading.com/annealing.html

From that link:

"Brass is annealed by heating it to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. The higher the annealing temperature, the shorter the time required to anneal. The grain structure of the brass begins to change - indicating the start of annealing - at just under 500 degrees Fahrenheit. At 600 degrees F, brass will anneal in one hour. At 800 degrees F, brass will take only a few seconds to anneal.

Only the case necks should be annealed. If the case body or head is allowed to overheat, the case will be completely and irrevocably ruined for reloading. Also, no portion of the case should ever be allowed to reach 950 degrees F. At this temperature, over-annealing will occur, rendering the brass too soft and weak to reload.

As you can see, annealing is a balancing act - the neck must be heated (but not overheated) to the appropriate temperature for the appropriate time, while ensuring that the rest of the case does not reach a temperature that will cause it to soften as well. In addition, your process needs to be very consistent from case-to-case in order to preserve accuracy."

My words: once the case is withdrawn from the heat annealing subsides. Non-ferrous metals do not require quenching to stop or complete the anneal process.

I don't buy the only the necks should be annealed statement. The shoulder needs it too.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for sharing it was very interesting. I use alcohol with a homemade fancy feast lightweight cook stove I made for backpack Camping and Hunting. I've found that Heat that comes in the yellow bottle that is used for automobiles works perfectly. I like the fact that it burns clean leaving no soot on my cookware. Definately going to give it a try for annealing instead of candles. I believe the flame temperature is very close to what candles burn so its a great method with no wax or soot to clean off

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Tag

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Depends on the case size. 308 takes longer than 223 until I feel the warmth in index finger & thumb. I grasp the case head between thumb & index finger, insert neck/shoulder into flame, roll case between finger/thumb until case warms to the touch.

Probably a lot of old farts like me, that have lost the ability to do this. I have lost texture (if you will) in the skin of my fingers, and have trouble holding on to things. I do this to the best of my ability for a couple of cases, while counting Mississippi's, and then use a long barrel socket in a drill while counting the appropriate number of Mississippi's. I do this at the start every time, to make sure that the heat and my memory is correct. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
However, I need to point out (as I have before many times when this subject comes up) that candle annealing isn't my method. It was developed by Fred Barker, and described in an article in PRECISION SHOOTING. Fred sent me a copy of the article, and I just passed it along.

Too late. It's associated with you from your books and the 'Fire, even though you've always been careful to give credit where credit is due. It will henceforth always be known as the Mule Deer Method. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
However, I need to point out (as I have before many times when this subject comes up) that candle annealing isn't my method. It was developed by Fred Barker, and described in an article in PRECISION SHOOTING. Fred sent me a copy of the article, and I just passed it along.

Too late. It's associated with you from your books and the 'Fire, even though you've always been careful to give credit where credit is due. It will henceforth always be known as the Mule Deer Method. grin

+1

The Rev has spoken,

Let it be written...

Let it be done... laugh

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Must be a long quarantine when you're down to watching old - very old - Charlton Heston movies. laugh

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Must be a long quarantine when you're down to watching old - very old - Charlton Heston movies. laugh

Yep.

You got it...

At least you remember the quote, must have recently watched God part the sea yourself... grin

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Nah, I haven't seen that old movie in years, but it was an annual Easter/Passover staple in our household when I was growing up. That was about as religious as we got! . whistle

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the blessing, Mike!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bought a quart of DNA today. had to elbow my way through the paint department to get it! NOT! think I was one of 4 people in the store.
going out to cobble together a candle right now. if'n you hear a BOOOM , send the meat wagon. I live to far out for an ambulance to do any good.
going to see if I can singe my eyebrows off. forgot to look for wick.
hell I will just steal some of mommas lamp wick. if she aint looking.

Busted! damn! Had to ask her for a small canning jar. Of course she wanted to know the whole story, never can get away with "I just need it" . gotta go through the whole story.
all the while that sour lemon look is growing. then the sweet thing says" you sure you want to mess with fire ,alcohol, and glass all at the same time? Hmmmm? remember the black powder gopher bombs, Hmmm? the new fish ponds are nice but the lawn was too, Hmmmm? , and your face looks soooo much better with eyebrows and unmelted moustache "

women!
but it works

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/07/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
HAHAHA - deerstalker wins the innerweb comedian today .. FUNNY ...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike
HAHAHA - deerstalker wins the innerweb comedian today .. FUNNY ...

+1

grin

I guess we all got too much time on our hands.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
weren't trying to be funny! just looking for sympathy! 50 years with the woman and she still brings up the soup spoon I discolored casting round balls for a charcoal burner the first year we were married.
better (or worse!) memory than a elephant!
OH yeah, I really like this annealing method. thanks for the info.

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/08/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Denature Alcohol Candle for case annealing. A twist on John Barsness wax candle anneal method. No soot to clean off case.

Can't see the annealed color of the case necks/shoulder in the photo. Similar to that sexy look that new Lapua brass has.

The alcohol flame is very clean leaving no soot. Roll the case in the flame until warmth is noted where you hold the case. Done.

I suppose you could use a wet rag to chill the case. IMO there is not enough heat that migrates to the case head to affect the brass hardness in that region.

Bought patio lamp wicks at Menards, ~0.250" diameter, $1.99 + the governors cut. Glass bottle w/metal cap, punch hole with a nail set punch. Empty unused DNA back into bulk can when done annealing cases.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Took me a bit but I finally figured out that you meant "Metho"...so dump some Metho into a glass lamp sans chimney and use that.

added, thinking about it I am pretty sure a French Pigeon lamp would be perfect for the task.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/09/20.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag candle case anneal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tack
Tag candle case anneal

Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the thread and find it in your followed list?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by tack
Tag candle case anneal

Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the thread and find it in your followed list?
Tag so I can remember to remind folks to do that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.