Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Nothing to add other than I like pickles. Pickled okra. Pickled cauliflower. Pickled about anything. Dill. Sweet. Hot. Bread and butter. All of it.

Klaussen dill pickles are the best store bought. Any recipe close to them would be a winner.

Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife always makes both sweet and dill pickles, and has made the bread and butter ones too. She also makes pickled beets. That's all I care for pickled. I've tried okra, and just don't care for it pickled, although I love it fried.

We were at a softball game the other day, and one of the players parents had brought a jar of homemade pickled bologna. I ate a piece and it was good. Wife got the recipe, and the stuff to make it with, but hasn't made any so far.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Me and momma do em, Thai chili, few garlic cloves, and a slice of jalapeño...
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I was hoping you would chime in.

I am MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Edwin264 what is your recipe?

I use:
1 cup of water
1 cup of 5% vinegar
2 tablespoons of canning salt.
-Make up enough of this mixture to pour over your pickles.
-Bring the mixture to a boil.
-In clean sterilized quart jars, add 2-3 cloves of garlic, dill, and pack clean cucumbers into the jars.
-(Optional) Add 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seed to each jar.
-Pour the boiling brine over the cucumbers. Be sure to leave 1/2” headspace in each jar.
-Cap each jar with a sterilized lid and band.
-Boil the entire sealed jar in water for 10 minutes.
-Remove after 10 minutes and let cool. Date the jar lids with a marker. Let them sit for at least 6 weeks. Get them cold and eat the heck out of them.

I always boil the brine in the house as well as my lids. I boil the empty jars to sterilize them outside on the porch in a hot water bath canner on a fish cooker. I also boil the packed jars outside on the porch. I let them cool on a towel spread on a table out there. I try to keep as much heat out of the house as possible. Also be sure to use a rack in the canner to keep the jars off the bottom.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

These look pretty good and easy!

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/homemade-claussen-knock-off-pickles/

Homemade Claussen Knock-Off Pickles
Always crunchy and garlicky, this perfect homemade pickle requires no special equipment, no canning experience, and tastes just like Claussen's refrigerated kosher dill pickles.

Course Appetizer, Side Dish
Cuisine American, Pub, Snack
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 2 days
Total Time 2 days 20 minutes
Servings 80 pickles
Calories 19 kcal
Author Rebecca Lindamood
Ingredients

35 to 40 small to medium pickling cucumbers
1 gallon cold water
1 cup cider vinegar, preferably raw
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
2/3 c. coarse canning or kosher salt Do NOT fine or use iodized salt!
4 cloves garlic or more to taste
4 fresh dill heads ~or~ 4 tablespoons dried dill seed not weed!

Instructions

Wash cucumbers but do not scrub them.
Trim 1/8-inch from the blossom end of each cucumber and slice in half lengthwise or into quarters, depending on how large your cucumbers are and how big you want them to be when they're done.
In a gallon jar (or large, wide-mouth, food-safe container) layer the dill heads or seed, garlic cloves and sliced cucumbers.
In a separate pitcher or bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients until the salt is dissolved.
Pour the brine over the cucumbers, taking care to make sure all of them are fully submerged. If needed, place a plate or mug or other non-reactive heavy item on the cucumbers to weigh them down and keep them under the brine!
Cover lightly with a lid just perched on top or secure a piece of cheesecloth over the jar with a rubber band to keep fruit flies away.
Leave out of direct sunlight on the counter for two to four days*, or until the cucumbers taste like pickles throughout.
Fix your lid onto your jar or container and chill. These can be stored in the refrigerator for up to six months provided you keep them covered with brine.
*If at any point in the proceedings "fuzz" or "foam" develops on top of the brine, use a spoon to remove it. If there is "fuzz" attached to any of the cucumbers, remove the ones affected and be sure the others are still fully submerged.

Recipe Notes

*If at any point in the proceedings "fuzz" or "foam" develops on top of the brine, use a spoon to remove it. If there is "fuzz" attached to any of the cucumbers, remove the ones affected and be sure the others are still fully submerged.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread inspired me. From left, Kosher, Killer Garlic Dill, and Spicy Dill Green Beans

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Terryk
For a klaussen cold pack recipe, you can start with this, change spices to taste.

4 pounds halved cucumbers
8 large dill heads
6 garlic cloves quartered
8 cups filtered pure water
2 cups vinegar (white), cider vinegar can be used but the pickles get dark.
1/2 cup pickling salt, no iodine
4 TBS pickling spices or more to taste
optional 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or a whole hot pepper

Heat water, vinegar, salt, an spices to near boil. Cool liquid to room temp, ( I usually leave the broth to cool overnight) add cooled liquid, garlic, dill, cukes in a container, and refrigerate for at least 7 days, probably 10/12 is better. These will last in the fridge for a few months, but they will be eaten before that. You can also add halved green tomatoes. These are pretty addicting.
I usually "can" these in cheap tupper wear containers from walmart. Super easy to make.

I make these, and the fermented version, I don't can any pickles.

Just in snap-lid containers like for leftovers?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Terryk
For a klaussen cold pack recipe, you can start with this, change spices to taste.

4 pounds halved cucumbers
8 large dill heads
6 garlic cloves quartered
8 cups filtered pure water
2 cups vinegar (white), cider vinegar can be used but the pickles get dark.
1/2 cup pickling salt, no iodine
4 TBS pickling spices or more to taste
optional 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or a whole hot pepper

Heat water, vinegar, salt, an spices to near boil. Cool liquid to room temp, ( I usually leave the broth to cool overnight) add cooled liquid, garlic, dill, cukes in a container, and refrigerate for at least 7 days, probably 10/12 is better. These will last in the fridge for a few months, but they will be eaten before that. You can also add halved green tomatoes. These are pretty addicting.
I usually "can" these in cheap tupper wear containers from walmart. Super easy to make.

I make these, and the fermented version, I don't can any pickles.

Just in snap-lid containers like for leftovers?

Yep no seal needed. You can use jars if you want. Super easy.
You can also add bay leave to help maintain the crispness if the pickling spice does not contain them.
I think they call these cold pack. Great not to heat up the kitchen in August.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
These are some good recipes to try.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big Jim,

Are they crunchy?

My pickles and okra gotta be crunchy.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Haven't tried em yet.

I guess you are supposed to wait a while first.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10-4.

I’ll need a report.

I’ve struck out I’ve over the years trying pickles and okra. Good vinegar taste. But soft. Not the vlasic crunch.

Side note. My auntie makes the old fashion bread and butter sweet pickles. Kind you put the plate over the 5 gal bucket. Off the chain...

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
10-4.

I’ll need a report.

I’ve struck out I’ve over the years trying pickles and okra. Good vinegar taste. But soft. Not the vlasic crunch.

Side note. My auntie makes the old fashion bread and butter sweet pickles. Kind you put the plate over the 5 gal bucket. Off the chain...

Alum will get pickles crunchy. You don't need much, maybe a tablespoon per few quarts of brine.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have some half-sour pickles doing their thing in the fridge.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have some half-sour pickles doing their thing in the fridge.

Jim, not to derail this pickle discussion but I was in Great Falls yesterday and saw a road sign to Havre. If you felt a great disturbance in the force, that was me. Nothing to do with pickles...

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
May the pickle force be with you.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of those recipes sound good, but being impatient with recipes like I am I use Mrs.Wage's mixes. I also have some that stuff made for crisping up your pickles and it works good.
I have been canning for three years now and not one person has figured out that I am not using some mix that my Mother or Grandmother used.
Mrs. Wage's Bread and Butter mix is real good if you like them sweet!
Jim, my mom and grandma always used about the same amount of dill you pictured!
If I were you, I would sneak a taste before 6 weeks like they say! Just use them like refrigerator pickles.

Ken

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I opened a jar for lunch.

I was very pleased!

Crunchy too.

They are kind of a Kosher style with garlic and mustard seed. Used the Ball Kosher style recipe....minus the hot pepper....and less than the recommended amount of dill.

Daniel boy liked them enough to have three.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Vacuum seal them and they are ready to eat in 4-6 days. Foodsaver vacuum canisters or that lid rig they sell for regular wide mouth mason jars. I'm too impatient to wait for good pickles. Cucumbers exploded this year in the garden. I put up 20 jars.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.