Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Personally, I would tear off. But, a lot of folks around here seem to go with metal on top of 1x2 or 1x3 furring strips without any issue. If I were going to do that, I would at least use 2" to 3" deck screws to anchor the furring strips...

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Rape the home owner??

If the asphalt shingles are so good why are they being covered up with tin??

Money burning a hole?

Metal for this location because asphalt shingles blow off in the heat and high winds.

There are 100 year old roofs in the area covered with corrugated galvanized sheets.

Rainfall is 12” - 18” most years, and most of that occurs in six weeks in the fall and six weeks in the late spring. Some years rainfall is in the single digits. However, a tropical storm can come in and drop 20” in a day or two.

But it mostly is a true desert area.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Some places wont insure a roof unless the old asphalt shingles are removed.

^^^^^
I know of contractors that will not warranty the work or the material's if they are installed over any other roofing material.

Because they can rape the home owner for the additional cost of stripping the old shingles.

Note, do not lay steel directly upon the aggregate surface of asphalt shingles, as the aggregate will scrape through the paint and zinc which will allow the steel to rust.

As said earlier , 1x4 strips every 30” . The last three I’ve done on my places I put reflective insulation under the steel and it really knocksthe heat off. It’s basically bubble wrap with mylar to reflect. No need to strip the roof and don’t put the steel directly on the shingles. I just did a 16x80 single wide and did it in an afternoon with three 50ish year olds. Not really that hard.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Rape the home owner??

Money burning a hole?

Metal for this location because asphalt shingles blow off in the heat and high winds.

There are 100 year old roofs in the area covered with corrugated galvanized sheets.

Rainfall is 12” - 18” most years, and most of that occurs in six weeks in the fall and six weeks in the late spring. Some years rainfall is in the single digits. However, a tropical storm can come in and drop 20” in a day or two.

But it mostly is a true desert area.

Sounds right.

You counldn't beat me hard enough to have an asphalt roof.

No way I would nail through that schit to mount a tin roof.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by sgt217
Put 1x4's up every 2 feet horizontal and fasten to them over the shingles
...That gap lets heat escape...

This

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You see a lot of them around here put on over old shingle roofs with the furring strips, they hold up fine it seems. If it's a trailer camp that's what I'd do, I wouldn't go to the trouble of pulling off the old shingles. Use long screws so they'll go all the way through and get a bite into the decking.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Rape the home owner??

Money burning a hole?

The asphalt was good 20 years ago. But it had started to curl and shingles blow off.

I put three inch screws through firring strips, the shingles, sheeting, and into the rafters. The firring strips are not coming off. And the steel will still be there long after I am dead.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Right on the shingles if you live in a snowy area.Putting them on furring strips is asking for ice dams.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ideally, I would remove the shingles, apply 60lb asphalt roll membrane, then screw the galvalume over that. The asphalt underneath helps to keep the screws from loosening and provides a seal if they do loosen. Also, asphalt can provide a protective barriere against insect infestation. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I nailed 1x4s to the truss on top of the shingles 24inc between 1x4s .cut 4x8 3/4 sheets of foam in haft . been all most 30 years with on prob. you don't have to worry about were you step with the foam between the 1x4s

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I wouldn't do it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For the roofing experts - I bought a mobile home on the main ranch where I hunt and work sometimes in South Texas.

Currently it has asphalt shingles. They are patchy in spots where wind blew some off, but there are no big bare spots. High winds, 50 - 60+ mph are common every year.

It is on the west side of South Texas, about 100 miles from the coast. Temperatures are 105 - 110+ in August and September.

With those factors, can gavalume sheets be screwed into the existing shingle layer or do the shingles need to be removed and/or put down furring strips?

This is a camp house, not my residence. So trying to keep a lid on repair costs, but not have the roof leak or blow off.

Thanks guys.

Not into it, THROUGH it, and all the way through the decking, too.
With only 1 layer of shingles, especially if they're 3 tabs, weight won't be an issue. The metal isn't enough added weight to matter.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 08/11/19.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For the roofing experts - I bought a mobile home on the main ranch where I hunt and work sometimes in South Texas.

Currently it has asphalt shingles. They are patchy in spots where wind blew some off, but there are no big bare spots. High winds, 50 - 60+ mph are common every year.

It is on the west side of South Texas, about 100 miles from the coast. Temperatures are 105 - 110+ in August and September.

With those factors, can gavalume sheets be screwed into the existing shingle layer or do the shingles need to be removed and/or put down furring strips?

This is a camp house, not my residence. So trying to keep a lid on repair costs, but not have the roof leak or blow off.

Thanks guys.

With only 1 layer of shingles, especially if they're 3 tabs, weight won't be an issue. The metal isn't enough added weight to matter.

EXactly!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
As usual lotta folks here want to make stuff more complicated than it is. We did many dozens of metal roofs using firring strips over shingles without problems and that was in upstate NY where we get plenty of snow, rain and wind..

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Thanks guys.

EXactly!
This.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Put 1x4's up every 2 feet horizontal and fasten to them over the shingles...That gap lets heat escape...
This is what we did over 20 years ago. The electricity usage for A/C went down by half. We used the silver shiny Galvalume that reflects heat very well. The 1X4s should not be treated wood because the treat starts corrosion and the warranty would be void is what I was told. We have about 50 inches of rain a year and so far so good.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had weather damage 7 years ago and my insurance company paid for a new roof. I had already replaced one roof 20 years earlier and did most of the work myself. The cost to put metal over shingles with no tear off worked out close enough to the same price as tearing off the old shingles and replacing with new. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. My roofer used furring strips and cut the vent pipes flush with the roof. Everything vents just as well as before and there are no holes in the roof for them. I've been very happy with the results and have noted lower heating and cooling costs as well. This roof will last the rest of my life. Had I gone with shingles I'd be doing it again in another 15-20 years. I hope I live another 20-25 years.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put 1x4's up every 2 feet horizontal and fasten to them over the shingles
...That gap lets heat escape...

Yup!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's one layer of shingles, leave them.
If it's been shingled multiple times, remove them.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get those shingles off, get a good view of your decking, make sure nothing is rotten.

If all good, cover with #30 with rag felt, mark the rafters and commence to nailing on 1x4 or 2x4 lattice.

Allows for a solid piece of meat to fasten your new metal roofing to.

I've done a couple dozen like this^^

That screwing metal to shingles is a half ass deal. Only if youre lucky will any screws hit a random rafter. Otherwise your punching into brittle 3/8" to 1/2" plywood.
About like zipping screws into a pumpkin rind.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,275
Posts18,467,528
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.