C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Year old male. Good guy, but he's a rescue dog with some issues. We made a lot of progress today on "trust"

Hoping that he'll be able to hunt with me a bit later this fall. He's supposed to be a liver-colored German Wirehaired Pointer, but I'm kinda wondering if he's actually a pudelpointer. Beats me. He's birdy as all get out and full of energy.

Pretty sweet dog too. But... A few issues to work through. Training is going to be daily.

Guy

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good looking dog. Slow and steady.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good luck with him. Keep posting his progress.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good on you for saving him. He looks like he’s intelligent.
Hope he becomes a great bird dog and a loyal companion!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Best wishes for you both. I hope he turns out to be a great bird dog, and an even better companion.

IC B2

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This morning he parked himself in another room, and kinda kept track of me.

This afternoon he took a nap with his paws and head on my chest.

We made some progress today.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say so.

But "new bird dog," what if you run into old birds?

Love the expression in the first picture.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys. He's going to require quite a bit of attention. A good project for me I think.

Our last dog, another GWP, passed on a bit over two months ago. I think I'll always miss that dog, he was a good one for sure. This little brown rascal seems to have the potential to be one heck of a dog as well.

Trust, time and training.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
He is a good looking dog! I wish you the best with your new bird dog.

If I can offer a suggestion..... If you don't have a tracking collar get one. IMO he might wander out of your view or not return on command as he is new to you. Collar can save you and the dog some bad times.

Last edited by Azshooter; 08/12/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great looking dog! Betting you are right on the PP guess. Should make you a great companion and bird dog. Keep us posted on results.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Nice dog, there's something about there eyes? Mine is the only dog that if you stare at him he'll stare back at you & not look away. Most other dogs will end up turning there head or avert there stare to look away. Any one else notice this in other breeds??? Kind of curious. Other dogs look like they have been bad or are guilty of something. They sure make great pals though, & are awesome bird dogs. Mine has actually dove under water to chase a duck I didn't hit just right, came up with duck in mouth. Mine will retrieve anything except a crow. With them he gives you a dirty look & then goes & buries them. Please keep us posted on his progress. Mine is now 14 yrs. can't hear, doesn't see so good, walks kinda stiff legged, but if you pick up a gun, half to sneak out or there's a hell of a commotion. Best wishes. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
We had a good day today. Walked on a busy trail full of walkers, joggers, bicyclists, other dogs, and so many birds to point! Lots of distractions and excitement. Went wading in the river too. A good morning, followed by an afternoon nap on the lawn:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I never dealt with a "rescue" dog before. There are some issues for sure, but we're going to slowly, and patiently work through them. I think there's a real good dog here, deserving a second chance.

Guy

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Good looking dog, and good for you to give him a chance.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Good looking dog, and good for you to give him a chance.

Thank you. My 28 year old son and I took the pup on a hike today. Only 3.5 miles and about a 930' gain, but we found the little fellow's limits. He's been napping ever since we got home. Tired pup!

[Linked Image]

On a positive note - he did a beautiful job of pointing a butterfly.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a great looking guy! I appreciate the pictures and the good care he's getting.

You two will be connected at the hip for life. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good on ya Cascade for rescuing him! He's a great looking fella! But I might be a bit biased... smile

[Linked Image]

Just curious, how long is the tail on your boy? GWP's tend to have their tails docked shortish, 2/5 full length, pudelpointers have their tails docked longer at about 2/3 of full length. My girl is a PP btw.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I don't really know how to reference the tail length, but this fellow has considerably more tail than my earlier GWP:

[Linked Image]

And dang, he likes water!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He's been getting a walk almost every day, twice a day sometimes. Working on the obedience training. And he's fitting in real well with the family. Awfully glad he's in my life, hoping that he'll turn out to be a good bird dog. He sure acts like he wants to hunt.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be surprised if he doesn't turn into a fine hunting dog. It might take a few trips but I bet his natural instincts come on strong.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Re tail length:

Standard for GWPs and GSPs is supposed to be 2/5 of total length. Didn't realize PP have a different standard. I have seen quite a range of length on GWPs and GSPs over the years. One friend had his dog's tail cut a bit long so it showed a white tip.

Wandered around the net for a while and found this quote from a vet which might be why yours is a bit longer:

I will leave up to 60% on, but never go below 50%. On a baby puppy, there is a point in the tail where there is no flesh, just hide over bone. We dock at or past that point. I will cut long to leave a light tip, too. The conformation standard notes that 40% on is customary, but tail length is never a disqualification.

I was watching a Pederson hunting show yesterday with them shooting birds in Europe. One local had what looked like a GWP with a full length tail. I now know why they dock the tails of these breeds. The tail was very long and thin looked terrible!

Last edited by Azshooter; 08/24/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Az, saw one full length also. Just terrible looking. Mine has a solid black tail and guessing there was no white tip on him. I'd say the guys here are doing pretty good on the 2/5 length, perhaps a touch shorter. They sure do vary though from vet to vet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.