Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the market for a pr. of chest waders.

Been using a pr of cheap hip waders and I keep getting caught by sneaker waves and getting my crotch splashed!

Is it worth the extra money to buy neoprene chest waders, or just buy whats on sale?

I don't plan on going out in the surf past my knees, but don't like getting splashed by incoming waves.

Thanks!

Virgil B.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd be inclined to go with fabric materials, as they are much cooler on warm sunny days. Not as easily patched or as durable as neoprene, but surf folks are not typically crashing through berry patches etc to access the shoreline. Good luck out there.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fabrics are safer... the neoprenes will catch a lot more water and create a lot more resistance. That could easily be enough to knock a guy down on occasion.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you are in the water with waders or hip boots you should know what to do if you get knocked down.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/the-big-swim/151726

Have a plan before you drown.

Always wear the belt supplied on waders.

Rivers and debris drown a lot of people.

Last edited by kk alaska; 08/06/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sitka:

The Myth Busters could not make themselves sink with neoprene. Sort of a full body flotation device and nothing is really going to suck one down. One only goes down if packing a bunch of heavy gear, and I've actually swam rivers in my neoprenes.

I'm tall and on party fishing trips do a lot of the marginal water others can't take on. In my neoprene days I'd reach a depth where I could not stay glued to the bottom, start floating, and be taking giant steps to keep pace with the current. I can wade right to my armpits with today's fabrics.

If one does go down, I find I can tread water just fine with full waders. Admittedly, I'm not going to display any stylish butterfly, breast strokes, or speed, but swimming in quite doable. I suspect related deaths are a product of panic and no experience. I think 10 minutes in a local pool would be quite educational and rewarding for a lot of fishermen.

A humorous aside: A neighbor took up steel heading with our party and, due to some medications, was having real balance issues. Regardless of the water, he'd be soaked in 5 minutes every session. His solution was a dry suit. A bit of a pain to put on, but worked beautifully. He actually tuned his up such that he'd trap enough air inside so he could lift his boots, float 6 ft, and plant the boots again for casting. A bit disconcerting to be on the opposing shore and see ones comrade floating downstream in the current. Took a few outings for me to get used to that.

Have a good one and stay dry,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/06/19.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As stated, I don't plan on going out in the surf past my knees.

Most of the time, not that far. Maybe about a foot deep.

I've got a lot of respect for the power of the ocean.

I don't want to spend a lot on these waders, just want something better than my cheap hip waders, that the buckle broke on, on the second trip out. (Cabelas warranty sucks now days!)

Was using knee high boots before that, but kept getting caught by waves and getting a "boot full"

Thanks for any, and all advice!

Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You can get wading pants now too. you don't need to get full chest waders. They sound perfect for what you're wanting to do.
Cabelas sells them, and I'm sure others do too.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
You can get wading pants now too. you don't need to get full chest waders. They sound perfect for what you're wanting to do.
Cabelas sells them, and I'm sure others do too.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Do these wading pants have lug boot attached to them?

Never heard of them before.

I'll check Cabelas web site.

The "flotation" of the neoprene waders sounds like a good safety feature, for "just in case"

Gotta weigh things out before I go shopping.

Thanks for more good tips!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just pulled up wading pants on the Cabelas site.

They sound pretty good, but the ones I saw were "stocking foot"

Don't want to deal with having to buy "wading shoes" as well as the pants.

Would the neoprene "booties" that come with them be durable enough for surf fishing on the sand, without using wading boots?

Thanks again!

Virgil B.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Just pulled up wading pants on the Cabelas site.

They sound pretty good, but the ones I saw were "stocking foot"

Don't want to deal with having to buy "wading shoes" as well as the pants.

Would the neoprene "booties" that come with them be durable enough for surf fishing on the sand, without using wading boots?

Thanks again!

Virgil B.

Absolutely not, you must wear something over them... but cheap tennis shoes would work real well for what you are doing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
More good ideas!

Thanks! Forgot to add; Would I need to get a size larger tennis shoes to fit over the neoprene booties?

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 08/08/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
More good ideas!

Thanks! Forgot to add; Would I need to get a size larger tennis shoes to fit over the neoprene booties?

Virgil B.

Yes, but it depends on the size of the bootie, relative to your foot size. If you are on the low end of the bootie size range you may want a thick sock and a slightly bigger sneaker.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka; Thanks for the advice! Looks like it's about time to go "hands on" shopping.

KK Alaska; GREAT link about hip wader safety!

Thanks again for all the pointers!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t see where anyone mentions water temp. I’ve used all kinds wading the back bays around Galveston in the winter. Water temp around 50 degrees. With light weights you need plenty of clothes and heavy socks. With Neoprene waders , light clothes and socks can be used. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I don’t see where anyone mentions water temp. I’ve used all kinds wading the back bays around Galveston in the winter. Water temp around 50 degrees. With light weights you need plenty of clothes and heavy socks. With Neoprene waders , light clothes and socks can be used. Hasbeen

And on a hot day you will look and feel like a high school wrestler struggling to make weight.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Couldn't find any waist high wading pants around here.

I ended up getting some material chest waders made by Allen, with neoprene booties attached.

They fit nice and snug, so not much water could get in them, even without the waist belt.

Got them on sale at the local Bi-Mart for $76.

Bought some cheap water shoes, one size big, but they are still too small.

Gotta take them back today and look for some cheap high top tennis shoes.

The heels on the water shoes are too low also. I don't think they would stay on very good anyway.

More shopping today. Going surf fishing Monday! Gotta try these things out!

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 08/11/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do not leave off the belt just because they seem tight. A lot of water can get in there fast and a belt really slows it down.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
More good advice! Thanks!

Got my wading shoes yesterday. Had to go two sizes bigger, and EE width to fit over the booties.

$21.95 Good enough for the intended use.

Virgil B.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Grew up on a river in Oregon, for fun we used to throw on hip boots and go swimming. What worked for us was keep air trapped in feet by lying on your back feet downstream, and use your arms in a backstroke, point your head in the direction you want to go and backstroke like a driftboat.

No family members were drowned!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

584 members (257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.