Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just listing to the engineer on a CP Rail train blow the whistle, and did he ever! Anyone know what the routes are for an engineer, one way, then back? How many miles, and so forth?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just listing to the engineer on a CP Rail train blow the whistle, and did he ever! Anyone know what the routes are for an engineer, one way, then back? How many miles, and so forth?

Yes. What's yer question? Routes? They are all over the place and vary in length.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Goober just wanted to start another thread.....
That’s all.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Railroads have "divisions" or "crew districts" with a home and away terminal. A basic day is 100 miles in terms of pay, if you run farther, or work longer, there are adjustments in the union contracts.
There are federal regulations governing hours of service. 12 hours max, used to be 16, then 14, then 12. If you are on duty more than 12 hours without a relief crew, you go "dead on hours" and must take 10 hours rest from the time you mark off before you can go out again. You start the day with a call time that has to be at least 8 hours from when you "tied up" for the day in the official register. A lot of times, crews will book 11:59 leaving them 8 hours before their next call. When times are busy, crews often get called on rest again and again. Gets old fast.
On a crew district, it's usually 200=300 miles depending on how far a normal train can get in 10 hours. Some fast trains get across the division much faster, the senior guys like those, and bid those when possible. But most crews are on the "extra board" where you are called for whatever train needs a rested crew. Most crews will work one part of the railroad their entire career, although some will move around with the traffic patterns within a REGION of Divisions, or some have SYSTEMWIDE seniority, and they can bid anywhere they want. But most work out of "home" division point or crew point in either direction after qualifying on that stretch of track, to a regular away terminal. For decades.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Never driven one. Pulled a few in my Navy days though.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really miss the sound of the evening freight train cross an intersection a few miles from my house. The sound of the horn reminds me of my younger days and simpler times.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I do think with enough time, I could learn the engineers by the way they blow the horn. Like telegraph operators have a distinct rhythm on the key.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tom264
That’s all.

The fishing must suck up there. grin

He was hoping santa claus would throw some candy out of the window as the train passed lol

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I do think with enough time, I could learn the engineers by the way they blow the horn. Like telegraph operators have a distinct rhythm on the key.

Long - long - short - long, goin up to a crossing= everthing's OK

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Does one really “drive” a train? Isn’t it really about starting and stopping, not steering? 😎

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Choo- choo.........
Trains are really diverse also!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
That’s all.

He was hoping santa claus would throw some candy out of the window as the train passed lol

Quit being dicks...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by slumlord
That’s all.

Quit being dicks...

Why?
Getting turned on?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I really miss the sound of the evening freight train cross an intersection a few miles from my house. The sound of the horn reminds me of my younger days and simpler times.

+1

growing up in the country there was a train that ran just a few hundred yards up the hill from our house. Train ran from 1887 to 1963 I was 9 when it stopped. My bedroom was on the side that faced the train, I miss that old whistle each morning and night.

Ted
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A lot of my friends are engineers.

Just about went that route myself.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Didn’t drive but I ran a couple in my younger years..🤣

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM Clyde (rrconductor).....he'll not only answer your question but he'll send you some great stone ground Grits or a Jar of Dukes if you need some.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My good bud did for Union Pacific.

He broke his back on the job, literally broke his back.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Wabi, I thought you was catchin me an Sand Billy an Roger some walley?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Railroads have "divisions" or "crew districts" with a home and away terminal. A basic day is 100 miles in terms of pay, if you run farther, or work longer, there are adjustments in the union contracts.
There are federal regulations governing hours of service. 12 hours max, used to be 16, then 14, then 12. If you are on duty more than 12 hours without a relief crew, you go "dead on hours" and must take 10 hours rest from the time you mark off before you can go out again. You start the day with a call time that has to be at least 8 hours from when you "tied up" for the day in the official register. A lot of times, crews will book 11:59 leaving them 8 hours before their next call. When times are busy, crews often get called on rest again and again. Gets old fast.
On a crew district, it's usually 200=300 miles depending on how far a normal train can get in 10 hours. Some fast trains get across the division much faster, the senior guys like those, and bid those when possible. But most crews are on the "extra board" where you are called for whatever train needs a rested crew. Most crews will work one part of the railroad their entire career, although some will move around with the traffic patterns within a REGION of Divisions, or some have SYSTEMWIDE seniority, and they can bid anywhere they want. But most work out of "home" division point or crew point in either direction after qualifying on that stretch of track, to a regular away terminal. For decades.

That pretty much covers it.
I put in 36+ years before retiring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.