B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Kellory,
reading what your basic wants are there’s no way I couldn’t recommend a stag 15 upper. It is the cheapest way to get into an upper that will shoot all the better quality factory ammo very well and should you decide to start handloading like you said it’s the cheapest route there as well.
You want to shoot a bunch you need to think about cost.

Nothing is cheaper and easier starting off than a 223 case and a hornady 75 bthp.
If you’ve never reloaded before you don’t need to get bogged down with resizing this or that. You also don’t need to get distracted with weight issue as you said “long range” and that frankly doesn’t lean towards light.

Yes that upper is heavy. You’ll note that most long range rifles tend to have some meat to them. But mine and all 5 others that I have seen and shot are very impressive for the money.

Many of those guys^^^ know their stuff and shoot more than I..but With your parameters I think you should stick with that upper and the best ammo you can buy. Then shoot..

Mine is a simple stag with a 16x SWFA and can assure you that setup has smoked many combos costing 5x as much

Good suggestion and we know they shoot. I like the idea of the 556 chamber and heavy bullets too. Damn, if he's looking for a good 556 upper, I have a good upper that I may consider letting go. It shoots damn near as good as my Stag, but is a Noveske and it's lighter. It has a 20" barrel, instead of the 6h stag 24" heavy barrel. But, if the op already has a 223/556 upper, he may be in search of something with a little more charm. He'd probably have to hand load for a cartridge like that, because it won't be cheap or available. There are a lot of wildcat cartridges out there and some new fast 22 cals that he could look at. Kelory, have you considered the 6x45? That is an interesting cartridge and will run with your lower and you can use the same BCG. With something like my 6WOA, you have to use a different bolt (6.8 SPC). I wanted a slicker BCG, so I went with a nickle boron carrier with a 6.8 spc bolt. If you went to the hot valkyrie, you'd have to use a 6.8 SPC bolt as well...

Sir, at present I have one .450 Bushmaster upper, and am looking at options for longer range hunting. If the price is right, and the range is a significant increase over the .450 Bushmaster, I may indeed be interested in a used 5.56 upper. My OP was to see if there were better choices.
Perhaps a few pics and info in a PM would be in order? wink

Sure, I'll do it out in the open. I have nothing to hide. It's an excellent low mileage Noveske barreled upper. I took the parts from my recent 6WOA that was built by Dan Carey. I don't know the manufacture of the upper receiver, but it has the original Noveske BCG. I will shoot it in this configuration and see how it fares:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll shoot it later today. I won't sell anything that isn't accurate... Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

kellory Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kellory,
reading what your basic wants are there’s no way I couldn’t recommend a stag 15 upper. It is the cheapest way to get into an upper that will shoot all the better quality factory ammo very well and should you decide to start handloading like you said it’s the cheapest route there as well.

Nothing is cheaper and easier starting off than a 223 case and a hornady 75 bthp.
If you’ve never reloaded before you don’t need to get bogged down with resizing this or that. You also don’t need to get distracted with weight issue as you said “long range” and that frankly doesn’t lean towards light.

Yes that upper is heavy. You’ll note that most long range rifles tend to have some meat to them. But mine and all 5 others that I have seen and shot are very impressive for the money.

Many of those guys^^^ know their stuff and shoot more than I..but With your parameters I think you should stick with that upper and the best ammo you can buy. Then shoot..

Mine is a simple stag with a 16x SWFA and can assure you that setup has smoked many combos costing 5x as much

Good suggestion and we know they shoot. I like the idea of the 556 chamber and heavy bullets too. Damn, if he's looking for a good 556 upper, I have a good upper that I may consider letting go. It shoots damn near as good as my Stag, but is a Noveske and it's lighter. It has a 20" barrel, instead of the 6h stag 24" heavy barrel. But, if the op already has a 223/556 upper, he may be in search of something with a little more charm. He'd probably have to hand load for a cartridge like that, because it won't be cheap or available. There are a lot of wildcat cartridges out there and some new fast 22 cals that he could look at. Kelory, have you considered the 6x45? That is an interesting cartridge and will run with your lower and you can use the same BCG. With something like my 6WOA, you have to use a different bolt (6.8 SPC). I wanted a slicker BCG, so I went with a nickle boron carrier with a 6.8 spc bolt. If you went to the hot valkyrie, you'd have to use a 6.8 SPC bolt as well...

Sir, at present I have one .450 Bushmaster upper, and am looking at options for longer range hunting. If the price is right, and the range is a significant increase over the .450 Bushmaster, I may indeed be interested in a used 5.56 upper. My OP was to see if there were better choices.

Sure, I'll do it out in the open. I have nothing to hide. It's an excellent low mileage Noveske barreled upper. I took the parts from my recent 6WOA that was built by Dan Carey. I don't know the manufacture of the upper receiver, but it has the original Noveske BCG. I will shoot it in this configuration and see how it fares:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll shoot it later today. I won't sell anything that isn't accurate... Just sayin..

I can appreciate that. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
300 BO ...thank me later

More like “thank me never.”

If there was ever a solution in search of a problem, it’s the 300 BO.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
300 BO ...thank me later

It would be a hard hitter (like my .450) and quiet (comparably) but still only a short range hunting round. (I looked hard at it before building my .450 Bushmaster. The .300BO has it's following, but since I'm not building a short barrelled suppressed rifle, I do not see much advance in building a second upper in .300BO. Thanks anyways.

Get a 50 Beowulf

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
300 BO ...thank me later

Like you would know

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

kellory Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
300 BO ...thank me later

It would be a hard hitter (like my .450) and quiet (comparably) but still only a short range hunting round. (I looked hard at it before building my .450 Bushmaster. The .300BO has it's following, but since I'm not building a short barrelled suppressed rifle, I do not see much advance in building a second upper in .300BO. Thanks anyways.

Get a 50 Beowulf

I looked at that as well, before settling on the Bushmaster. Availability, costs, and performance, and the ability to use standard mags for an AR decided the issue. Both were due to be added to the (then) allowed list for Ohio deer. The rules have since been changed to allow any straight wall cartridge or tapered wall cartridge from .357-.50cal.
However, both cartridges are intended for short range rifle. That is redundant in this case, and not worth considering for a rifle with more reach than I have now.

I repeat, my intent is for use where I am not limited to "short range rifle ".

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
300 BO ...thank me later

Like you would know

PLEASE enlighten me to the trajectory that qualifies the 300 BO as a longer range cartridge?

I've owned and sold four uppers in 300 BO because the only thing they might do good is CQB.

And for all of the talk of the "special forces" using them, none of the SF guys I've asked use them in combat, and none of our TACP guys have seen it used in the sandbox.

If it's mo betta, what exactly is it mo betta than?

John Stark.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
300 BO ...thank me later

Like you would know

PLEASE enlighten me to the trajectory that qualifies the 300 BO as a longer range cartridge?

I've owned and sold four uppers in 300 BO because the only thing they might do good is CQB.

And for all of the talk of the "special forces" using them, none of the SF guys I've asked use them in combat, and none of our TACP guys have seen it used in the sandbox.

If it's mo betta, what exactly is it mo betta than?

Mo betta than a swift kick in the azz or sharp stick in the eye. Other than that, absolutely worthless for a "long range" rig. And if im not mistaken, thats what the op is looking for.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
kellory Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's specifically suited to short range, suppressed, small, light rifles. It was designed to run through an AR with minimal change required (barrel change), and if memory serves, it was designed for two different kind of rifles interchangeably.
It will also blow a rifle apart if chambered and fired from a 5.56 by mistake. (Iirc, it will chamber in a 5.56)
(Yes. I read alot) wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would stick with 223 and a 77 grain match bullet. Turn key answer. I bet that upper will see a lot of use.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Terryk
I would stick with 223 and a 77 grain match bullet. Turn key answer. I bet that upper will see a lot of use.

^^^^^
It’s like the elephant in the room in regards to the parameters you set forth...

I just can’t understand how these threads always go.....
50 beuwolf? 300 blackout.. really??
Did you read what he wanted to do with this upper?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This or the Black Hills 75 grain Hornady.

Either would be one and done on most soft targets.

John Stark.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I just bought some 77 gr sierra tmk bullets. If i can get them to shoot well in my rifles, thats what ill use. Good suggestion.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 77gr tmk with 24.5gr of varget does very well out to 600yds. Shot one of my best scores using that combo. The Sierra 77gr otm is a pretty good bullet as well.

Last edited by 79S; 08/17/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
kellory Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kellory,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Curious as to your findings, sir. Did you have the opportunity to test it? wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kellory,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Curious as to your findings, sir. Did you have the opportunity to test it? wink

Sorry my friend. Too dang busy to do any shooting this weekend. I wanted to shoot my 6woa as well, but daughters exhaust manifold needed to be replaced.

BSA MAGA
kellory Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Priorities. Take your time, sir, I'm in no hurry. wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I picked this one up 2 years ago. I haven't shot it over 50 yards yet. But, at 50 I'm pretty much using the same hole over and over. The price is right if you have an upper and a bolt laying around and you can do your own work assembling it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003430710?pid=577053

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
I picked this one up 2 years ago. I haven't shot it over 50 yards yet. But, at 50 I'm pretty much using the same hole over and over. The price is right if you have an upper and a bolt laying around and you can do your own work assembling it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003430710?pid=577053

That's a nice barrel. I have to ask, why only 50 yards? Are you limited to just a 50 yard range? Also, keeping in mind the op is looking for a "long range" upper. I don't really know how a rifle barrel shot at 50 yards would even apply to what the op is looking for... Fill us in please..

BSA MAGA
kellory Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"Sorry my friend. Too dang busy to do any shooting this weekend. I wanted to shoot my 6woa as well, but daughters exhaust manifold needed to be replaced. [/quote]"
Assuming you like how it shoots, you want to PM me a price, and shipping details, so we can see if this is feasible?. wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 3,261 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.