Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shoot 100% my reloads except 410. Mostly I shoot a 28 ga with 3/4 ounce magnum #8. My 20 and 16 ga dove load is 1 ounce 7.5 shot.
In the 410, I use factory load 8 or 8.5 shot.

NRA Patron
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue
I’ve found if the range is 30 yards plus less fly off that you know you hit with 6’s than the smaller sizes. As the distance increases 6’s will give you more dead in the air birds than the smaller. Inside 30, the extra no of shot with the smaller sizes makes no difference. They both work if you point well.

Shot enough of them to know without a doubt, 6’s give more clean kills than the smaller, if they have some distance. However, if one sits under a tree and shoots them coming in for a landing, the smaller are fine.

You seem to be saying that beyond 30 yards, 6's are needed for clean kills and that pattern density is unaffected by distance. I would simply say my observation has been that 8's will reliably give clean kills well beyond 30 yards and that ounce for ounce and choke for choke, you will run out of pattern with 6's before you run out of lethality with 8's. To put it in your terms, if one sits under a power line and shoots them coming in for a landing 50 yards away, then a turkey choke with 6's is fine.

Shoot whatever you like, of course, and for late season birds 6's may make a bit more sense, but only if you tighten the choke to compensate for the thinner pattern. Otherwise, the birds you hit might be dead in the air but you'll likely have some clean misses that flew right through the pattern.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
B
16 ga, 1 oz, 7.5 shot, works like a charm as long as I do my job as the shooter

N.R.A Patron member
Pheasants Forever Life Member
N. S. C. A. Life Member
Ruff Grouse Society Life Member
Paragon School of Sporting Associate Instructor

Introduce a kid to hunting and the great outdoors, keep the tradition alive.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What you think I seem to be saying isn’t what I said.

I disagree with your thinking that 8’s will give more clean kills well beyond 30 yards. What is “well” beyond? 35-40-45?

Of course I will shoot what I like.

If you think I meant shooting them coming in for a landing was at 50 yards out, then you were not paying attention. Or making something up to fit your opinion. In fact, I find little enthusiasm for shooting them coming in for a landing at any time or distance.

Every time, I will take a clean miss with 6’s at distance over a feathered cripple with your supposedly tighter pattern of 8”s. Every time. At "well" beyond-again depending on what "well" entails-the heavier shot is also holding its pattern better, than the lighter shot that is slowing down faster and bleeding off to the sides.

And finally, I am quite comfortable shooting a Mod choke for all Dove shooting, close or “well” beyond, and early or late season. I also could live with full. Since you are guessing, what do you think I “seem” to be saying or implying? It is not a hard question, but there are a couple correct answers.

Addition: Pattern density interests me little at most ranges doves are shot. Pointing well does. So you don't have to seemingly guess what I mean: More fail in wing shooting by not pointing well, than having the right choke or pattern density. Chokes are mostly highly overrated, other than at the extreme ends.

Last edited by battue; 08/10/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
You are going to have to tighten up on choke to get the same pattern density at the same range as, say, 8's..

And finally, I am quite comfortable shooting a Mod choke for all Dove shooting, close or “well” beyond, and early or late season. I also could live with full. .

At least we are in "full" agreement on this (pun intended).

I have killed doves cleanly at 40 yards with 8's: "well beyond 30 yards". If it has been done even once, and it has, then there is no reason it cannot be done every time since I know the pellets are there. Therefore, when it doesn't happen, it is shooter failure. Beyond 40, I can't say much because I don't knowingly shoot beyond this. Certainly 6's retain more energy downrange so if you happen to hit a dove in an increasingly sketchy pattern, it might fall right out.

Of course one has to point the gun right and of course that is the biggest problem anyone has in wing shooting. But that's not what the thread is about.

No, I don't think you are shooting them coming in for a landing at 50 yards out. Do you think I'm shooting them from under the tree they are landing in? I was returning what I took to be hyperbole with more hyperbole. Sheesh.

Neither of us wants to shoot doves coming in for a landing at any range and neither of us wants to cripple birds. I choose to discipline myself to pass up shots where 7-1/2's or 8's aren't sufficient, using a light modified choke.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 08/12/19.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I generally prefer 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's although early season I am not opposed to 1 oz of 8's.

When we go to our Eurasian spot, its either 6's or straight 7's. Those buggers can soak up some shot.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With an equally good point, there is a reason more Doves will be crippled at 40 with 7.5’s and 8’s than 6’s. And the fact it has been done once, doesn’t give a valid reason it can be done every time, or as consistently. And if most of us would walk off our 40 yard+ shots we would find out more often than not, we overestimated.

Personally, I’ve gotten more consistent kills at all ranges when I use 6’s and plan to continue doing so.

I’ll correct the last sentence. At anything over 30, I’ll take 6’s. Since I don’t know what the next chance will bring, it’s 6’s.

Last edited by battue; 08/12/19.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
There aren't enough sixes in a dove load to reach the distance where sixes beat 7-1/2s. 7-1/2s will do about all a dove load will do. Pick your shots and put it on the head. Any kind of going away at range is just stupidity; not pellet size.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Who said anything about shooting going away Birds at extended range? Cherry picking your shots so you can almost guarantee head shots is either great shooting or close range work, but more like cherry picking, in which case 9's may be the shot of choice.

It just keeps gets better,

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Steel shot 7’s...

Super fast, and with the right chokes it does wonderful.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Steel shot 7’s...

Super fast, and with the right chokes it does wonderful.

Shooting steel shot at doves is like dating your sister, who are you going to brag to about getting some ?

Last edited by jimy; 08/13/19.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love fast 8s, but just got up from the bench loading fast bismuth #7s in 16 ga due to Moonbeam's new ammo restrictions.

We'll see.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Posted this before, but if 5’s have enough pattern to kill Pigeons at 70, then 6’s have more than enough for Doves. He has a website, perhaps some can tell him he is wrong.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
To the OP, I recently did a fair amount of patterning with my new to me 16 gauge using 8, 7.5 ,and 6 shot. I patterned multiple chokes at ranges from 20-50 yards.

When it was all said and done, the 6 shot patterned more evenly at all ranges through all of the chokes. Yes I was putting more pellet holes in the target with the 7.5 and 8 shot simply because of the higher pellet count per ounce. However, the 6 shot produced less dove size holes overall in the targets. I will note the 7.5's produced good patterns as well, but not quite as good as the 6's.

I have never thrown 6 shot at a dove, but may try some this season particularly if it is windy. During my 30 seasons of dove hunting I have come to prefer 7.5's over 8's.

As with all shotgunning, the only way not to guess is to pattern your gun.

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 08/13/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll wager he's not using a modified or even a normal full choke. As I said before, a turkey choke....he is certainly getting a pattern that a turkey hunter would be pleased with. Also can't tell how many ounces of shot he's shooting (perhaps I missed that) but I bet it's more than one ounce and I bet it's hardened shot as well; a premium shell and load. All I've said from the beginning is that you're going to have to tighten up the choke to kill them reliably beyond 40 yards with 6's and you've done nothing but confirm that. I'll add that you can also shoot heavier loads, but I for one don't want to shoot pheasant loads at doves.

Not many of us, certainly not I, can shoot well enough to even attempt the shots that Digweed does. If you can, and if you've got the load and the choke for it, have at it. But most of us mortals are better off with IC or Mod and staying within 40 yards with 7-1/2's or 8's. Sixes aren't immune from producing cripples and the vital area of a dove is fairly small.

With an equally good point, there is a reason more Doves will be crippled at 40 with 7.5’s and 8’s than 6’s.

This is simply you re-asserting your opinion, with which I have dared to differ. Doesn't make it so. My opinion is more birds are crippled due to shooting them too far than due to using a too-small shot size, and that doesn't make it so either. Neither of us can factually refute one another; we have our opinions and they differ. That's all.

And if most of us would walk off our 40 yard+ shots we would find out more often than not, we overestimated.

If true, then the 40 yard shot becomes 35, making 7-1/2's or 8's all the more effective.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

On state land here you have to use Steel... I just shoot them out of the Briley waterfoul chokes and they pile up doves like no one’s business.

That reminds me - I do have a couple of the sweet 16 chokes I need to sell (new ones that don’t come with the gun).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

On state land here you have to use Steel... I just shoot them out of the Briley waterfoul chokes and they pile up doves like no one’s business.

I'm sure your dentist appreciates the business.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No it doesn’t make them “more”effective. Something you continue to miss. 6’s will always cause more damage, by penetrating more. Which is why with the equally good point, more cripples will result at distance with smaller shot. Even more so with a bad point up close. See how that works.

I mentioned that at anything over 30, I prefer 6’s. I could get by with the smaller at 30 and under, but as mentioned that is always not the case.

Your “observation was, you will run out of pattern with 6’s before you run out of lethality with 8s” Which is BS, because it ignores the extra penetration and energy of heavier shot.
“Ounce for ounce, choke for choke”, again your words,

Of course Digeeed is using the best combination. Which is one of the reasons he is using 5’s and not 7.5 or 8’s 🙄

Additionally: Belatedly, to boost your opinion, you insert more birds are crippled at long range. Which while it may be true, has nothing to do with the best shot size, and everything to do with the shooters skill level, as proven by the video. What’s next?

When it comes to which size shot will cause the most damage, the bigger always wins. In this case facts rule and opinion is little more than opinion.

The smaller works just fine up close. Past 30, I prefer to hit them harder and harder means less Birds flying off crippled.

Last edited by battue; 08/13/19.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
40 yards, 30" circle, one ounce, IC= 50% gives you 205 pellets of 8's. F=70%, giving you 158 pellets of 6's. I have more shot at 40 with IC 8's than you do with F 6's. And that's not even choke for choke. I understand the difference in penetration, and at some point it comes into play, but not at 40 and in. The vitals of a dove are small and they don't get bigger with distance. But the spread between shot pellets certainly does.

You “observation was, you will run out of pattern with 6’s before you run out of lethality with 8s” Which is BS, because it ignores the extra penetration and energy of heavier shot.

And your assertion is baseless because it ignores that you have run out of pattern density "at distance" (whatever that is). But since by your own admission you are fine with having birds fly through your pattern when you have pointed the gun correctly, I guess it doesn't matter. But a 6 that doesn't hit a vital area can cripple too and a thin pattern makes a hit in a vital spot less, not more, likely. Inside 40, I agree, doesn't matter, either shot size, same choke, same result. Beyond 40, better have a tighter choke and a closer-to-perfect point.

If I was shooting at 70 yards plus as Digweed is, yes, I would use bigger shot because at those distances downrange energy is a factor. But I would have to be choked down to a fare-thee-well to make it work. And I will add that we don't know how many birds Digweed cripples at those ranges either. Those shots can be left on the cutting room floor.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 08/13/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Regardless of shot size and choke, you don't run out of pattern, at the ranges most of us kill Doves.You are hung up on choke, and as mentioned, with the exception of the extremes, choke means little when one points well, and Birds in motion are flying thru an elongated moving shot stream.

A two dimensional stationary pattern board picture, has limited application to two objects passing thru each other in a time lapse three dimensional world. Give some thought to what that means. A good point either kills them now, or slows them down. Which means there is more time for the following shot to chew on them. Flying thru a hole in a moving shot stream will usually only happen if you are working with the backend of the string.

However, the heavier always causes more damage-close and far-than the lighter. Wither it is in the vitals or the extra snaps a wing bone.

Last edited by battue; 08/13/19.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.