Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have that one and the blade is a little too hard, I have broken chunks out of it just by trying to split a lot- no twisting at all.

I have a Husky axe the same size in the backseat of my truck. Much better value for 98% the same axe.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent quite a bit of time working as a surveyor in the 80s so I've spent so much time with a standard issue 2 1/2 pound boy's axe in my hand that its hard to get used to anything else. Not talking a fancy axe here just a square back head about a 2 foot hickory handle, you could get one from most any hardware store back then. Used it half the time as a hammer for stakes or iron pins so a quality unit not needed or at least that's what the two outfits I worked for thought. haha I've still got one and a few others its the plain jane 2 1/2 pounder that I usually use, take camping etc.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I might be mistaken but I think that crossfire had a gransfors bruks that he had picked up in the north east somewhere. I'd like to have that one....
The thing about them is they are marked by the smith that made it. Old world craftsmanship is always a good investment and very pleasurable to use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked up a GFB small forest axe, new, several years ago for $95. Very nice axe. I didn't realize they now go for $150 and up?

It's kinda cool with the owners manual you can look up the initials and see who made your axe.

I have 3 Husqvarna axes and one splitting maul. Very nice for the money. The maul gets used 1000 to 1 more swings than my axes though.

Last edited by Lonny; 08/13/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bought one from LL Bean last year for $127.46. I found it to be nice, but no better than my Wetterlings. Wound up giving it to my Son for his birthday. I have two of the Wetterlings axes,
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Picked up a Gransfors Bruk during the LL Bean sale last year myself,

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
That might have been what you called it, but a hatchet is not a cruiser axe... a cruiser is a double bit axe in the 2+ pound range with a handle around 36+ inches or so.
At 2# and 19" (thought it was a little bigger) it is small for a cruiser, but too big for a hatchet. Cruisers are generally but not necessarily double bitted, refers to the size. Still pretty spendy.

Sounds more like a camp axe. that is what the old 24" Norlund was called.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nighthawk
As you like but rubs me the wrong way to pay that much. For my first axe (early grade school) my grandfather, lumberjack, pulled a rusty old axe head in the two pound range out of a box under the workbench in the wood shed. Told me if I cleaned it up he'd make a handle for it. He did and taught me how to always keep it sharp. Wish I still had it.

Different philosophies in action.

I like a bargain as much as the next guy, probably why I have so many redundant firearms, but I don't mind paying a price that is in sync with the quality of the product if it something that I want. Heck, I'll even over-pay for something if I want it bad enough.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a Gransfors Bruks and a Wetterlings. Those who say the Wetterlings is just as good as the Gansfors either haven't used them side by side or are just poor at evaluating the quality of an axe. The steel does seem comparable in edge holding but that is where the "equality" ends. The Gransfors head is much thinner toward the cutting edge and is a cuttin SOB in comparison to the relatively lackluster, sluggish Wetterlings. The handle on the Gransfors is also much better. Being actually boiled in a vat of linseed as compared to the surface varnished Wetterlings the handle does not swell and shrink with relative humidity. In other words, the head of the Gransfors remains tight year round, regardless of the weather or where and how it's stored, while the Wetterlings does not. Whether the difference is worth the cost is up to you but there is a difference and it is all in favor of the Gransfors Bruks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I have a Gransfors Bruks and a Wetterlings. Those who say the Wetterlings is just as good as the Gansfors either haven't used them side by side or are just poor at evaluating the quality of an axe. The steel does seem comparable in edge holding but that is where the "equality" ends. The Gransfors head is ground much thinner toward the cutting edge and is a cuttin SOB in comparison to the relatively lackluster, sluggish Wetterlings. The handle on the Gransfors is also much better. Being actually boiled in a vat of linseed as compared to the surface varnished Wetterlings the handle does not swell and shrink with relative humidity. In other words, the head of the Gransfors remains tight year round, regardless of the weather or where and how it's stored, while the Wetterlings does not. Whether the difference is worth the cost is up to you but there is a difference and it is all in favor of the Gransfors Bruks.

seems pretty accurate, a buddy who has a wetterlings, the head came loose and the wedges came out. I have a hults bruk, I think it may be the slighter cheaper but comparable version to granfors. mine is in the desert heat of utah and the head has never been loose.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Bought a Collins Scout axe in 1970 or so and still have/use it. Third handle. Works fine. I prefer the GB's for clearing trails to hunting areas and maintaining same. I do not kneel, and use both the Hunter's or Small Forest 1 handed for easy limbing. Makes cruising through simple.The GB's just work. If a larger obstacle appears in the 6" or more diameter I fetch the Collins. 95% of what I do the GB's get the nod...

Of course you don’t need to kneel. You’re shorter than Stick.
wink

Dayom he’s shrunk ! 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Bought a Collins Scout axe in 1970 or so and still have/use it. Third handle. Works fine. I prefer the GB's for clearing trails to hunting areas and maintaining same. I do not kneel, and use both the Hunter's or Small Forest 1 handed for easy limbing. Makes cruising through simple.The GB's just work. If a larger obstacle appears in the 6" or more diameter I fetch the Collins. 95% of what I do the GB's get the nod...

Of course you don’t need to kneel. You’re shorter than Stick.
wink

Dayom he’s shrunk ! 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Sheesh! What a cadre of maroons. Hello...I'm right here...I can hear youse😀

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

Just to rile Charlie up a bit

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
[Linked Image]

mad Watch it buddy. mad

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

mad Watch it buddy. mad

wink You know how well I like these Finnish cutters. But I get your traditional needs as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hey those fiskars aren't bad. they split pretty darn good. They sharpen up easily. perfect beater axe for scouts or kids. the metal is soft enough it doesn't chip, just kinda rolls over and is easily sharpened up. I use my hatchet as a splitter but it cuts decently too.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
hey those fiskars aren't bad. they split pretty darn good. They sharpen up easily. perfect beater axe for scouts or kids. the metal is soft enough it doesn't chip, just kinda rolls over and is easily sharpened up. I use my hatchet as a splitter but it cuts decently too.

Their splitting akes are amazing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Should say G15.

Didn't know Glick made axes, thought they only made clubs!😉

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/13/19. Reason: Damn spell check, Glock you bastard, not glick.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.