Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Building the first run of sidelever falling block actions, I've documented the process so far.

The first step obviously is to extract the action from the plate of 8620 steel in which it is contained. I am fortunate to have a wire EDM in house. While it is capable of far greater accuracy than is required for simply profiling the action, precision is never wasted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once the batch of action bodies are all profiled, holes are drilled to located the starting point for the wire path to cut the breech block cavity, and a fixture is made to hole the actions during the cut.

[Linked Image]

Breech blocks were wire cut before I started on the actions. The fit is extremely precise with .001" clearance for movement. Wire EDM is a very slow process and it's done under a powerful flush of water to cool the wire and clear eroded metal from the cut. 

[Linked Image]

The tang surfaces are machined with tapers in both horizontal and vertical axis. There are also flats left on the interior edges of the tangs to index onto the inletting of the stock to negate any movement of the action once it's seated. Actions are secured to the stock with a drawbolt.

From there the pockets for the trigger group, cocking lever and extractor are machined. Also the hole in the side of the action for the sidelever stem.

[Linked Image]

Actions are flipped over and the cartridge trough is machined in. A mock assembly of the sidelever, breech block and trigger group housing ( also made before the action bodies were started) is hard to resist.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The trigger group is removeable and tuneable for pull weight and sear engagement. The rim of a cartridge can be used to push back the locking plunger at the rear of the trigger group pocket in the bottom tang.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Set in another fixture dedicated to the machining of the face of the action and associated steps. A 2" deep hole is drilled at the center of the hole for the barrel. This establishes the center of the bore and the center of the pocket for the striker and that the two are perfectly aligned.

[Linked Image]

The face of the action is trued to ensure it is perfectly perpendicular to the bore. This is where the barrel seats and is a very important step to ensure accuracy. Not unlike facing the end of a bolt rifle action.

[Linked Image]

Now the hole for the barrel can be machined. The breech block is in the action during this setup, so the bottom of the barrel hole will form the face for the breech block in a very precise manner. Not only will it be perpendicular, it is also machined to a known depth allowing the machining of the barrel shank to be done to the exact length. The breech block is tilted forward 3 degrees, so accurately cutting the breech block face any other way would be far more time consuming and wouldn't yield the precision this setup offers.

Also, the picture below shows the location of the center of the bore is well below the top edge of the breech block pocket. This allows the full diameter of the chamber, and case thrust for firing, are fully supported in the action. Even though the breech block extends to the bottom of the action, this helps prevent the case thrust from torquing the breech block and further localizing the area of the action that would absorb the case thrust. Having the camber area fully supported keeps the distribution of the case thrust over a much more broad area.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
With the barrel hole machined, the threads can be machined with a thread mill. Precision threads cut in perfect alignment with the hole, the action face and breech block face.

[Linked Image]

The finished barrel shank hole and threads

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
This is way over what I can understand...
Thanks for sharing, Bailey.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome.

Thank you!

Guy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You sir are a mechanical artist !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bailey can do it all, from damascus, machining, the wood, and engraving. Keep us posted as you work on it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Tag this^^^^

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Absolutely stunning workmanship.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the skill level required to do this is out of sight.

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by okie
Tag this^^^^

Tag for sure. I got to see how this ends up.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I saw the pricing for the rising block rifles on your website. If I may ask publicly, what range are you asking for a complete sidelever falling?

In my case, it would be fairly plain. Maybe a French border is all the engraving I would want. Color case receiver and grip cap. London red recoil pad. No open sites but set up for Talleys. 25" round barrel #1 to 2 ish contour with front band. Cartridge would be in the x57 or -06 family. I have had 280 Ackley on my mind lately but not sure yet. In the 7 pound range plus or minus a 1/4. Inlet rear swivel. I have a bolt action blank from Dressels many years ago I never used. I live two hours up US69 from you in Grayson County.

Thanks!

Last edited by dSmith_45; 08/12/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by okie
Tag this^^^^

Tag for sure. I got to see how this ends up.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to see more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, my word.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by dSmith_45
I saw the pricing for the rising block rifles on your website. If I may ask publicly, what range are you asking for a complete sidelever falling?

In my case, it would be fairly plain. Maybe a French border is all the engraving I would want. Color case receiver and grip cap. London red recoil pad. No open sites but set up for Talleys. 25" round barrel #1 to 2 ish contour with front band. Cartridge would be in the x57 or -06 family. I have had 280 Ackley on my mind lately but not sure yet. In the 7 pound range plus or minus a 1/4. Inlet rear swivel. I have a bolt action blank from Dressels many years ago I never used. I live two hours up US69 from you in Grayson County.

Thanks!

An action ready to barrel and stock is $1850, although I do have one of this initial batch available for $1500. A finished rifle on this action with you supplying the wood, and the details you outlined is going to be $6000.

Your close enough for a visit. The door is open, just let me know when your coming.

Last edited by BaileyBradshaw; 08/13/19.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by BaileyBradshaw

Thanks!

An action ready to barrel and stock is $1850, although I do have one of this initial batch available for $1500. A finished rifle on this action with you supplying the wood, and the details you outlined is going to be $6000.

Your close enough for a visit. The door is open, just let me know when your coming.

That is really reasonable for a hand built rifle. Let me give this a serious think and I'll give you a call.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by BaileyBradshaw

Thanks!

That is really reasonable for a hand built rifle. Let me give this a serious think and I'll give you a call.

Sounds good. Let me know if you have any questions

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
trigger group housings. First profiled out of 1/2" plate, holes spotted for the pivot points of the trigger and sear, and a window that displays the trigger/ sear engagement.

[Linked Image]

The housings are then surface ground to final thickness, slotted to accept internal parts, holes drilled and reamed, and the parts are deburred.

. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
757 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,413
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.