Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue
Regardless of shot size and choke, you don't run out of pattern, at the ranges most of us kill Doves. You are hung up on choke, and as mentioned, with the exception of the extremes, choke means little when one points well, and Birds in motion are flying thru an elongated moving shot stream.

A two dimensional stationary pattern board picture, has limited application to two objects passing thru each other in a time lapse three dimensional world. Give some thought to what that means.
However, the heavier always causes more damage than the lighter. Wither it is in the vitals or the extra snaps a wing bone.

The range most of us kill doves is under 40 yards, so where is the problem here? If you are still saying that from 30-40 yards, 8's cripple more than sixes, we simply disagree. I'm only hung up on choke because at some point it does begin to matter. Once we start talking about ranges in excess of 40 yards I think pattern density (and therefore choke) becomes important, whether you are talking about 2 dimensions or 3. A two dimensional pattern board is incomplete of course, but it is not without instruction to those who will receive it.

It appears that you now have decided that snapping a wing bone is fine and doesn't constitute crippling. The goal posts are moving about as fast as the doves fly. Yes a 6 pellet will break a wing at a greater range than an 8 will. Are you happy now?

I'm out. I'm going to shoot 1 ounce of 4's with no choke at all (since it doesn't matter) this season, and I'm not limiting myself to 40 yards anymore. tired I'll show that Digweed fella a thing or two! smile

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you want to live in lala land and not accept snapping a wing bone is part of wing shooting, then i wonder just how much you have actually done. Along with your limited knowledge of shot strings, it only gives it credence.

Anyway, I have almost always had a decent Dog to most often end the nasty stuff rather quickly.

For now out is a good place, in that you have no cards left to play.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A condescending attitude does not become you. It's funny, before this little disagreement I had always enjoyed your posts and really love the dogs you have. But in this matter you have shown yourself to be an egotist who thinks his opinions are above challenge. Twisting my words to mean what you want them to mean appears to be your stock in trade.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Out obviously means something different in your world.

Now if you find the truth condescending, I’m at a loss for a reply, but thanks for the comments on the Dogs. They are far from great, but good enough for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So are the same loads for doves enough for pidgeon

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, you saw him shoot pigeons out far, and this time they are close. Stop frame when they show the shell box and it will be the same load of number 5’s. However, I would think at these ranges, he would do just as well with 7.5 or 8’s. Perhaps he is hedging his bets if he has to stretch it out.

If it works on Pigeons, it will do so on Doves. So according to someone who has shot a lot of Pigeons the answer is yes.

Last edited by battue; 08/13/19.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

If you want to live in lala land and not accept snapping a wing bone is part of wing shooting, then i wonder just how much you have actually done. Along with your limited knowledge of shot strings, it only gives it credence.

Anyway, I have almost always had a decent Dog to most often end the nasty stuff rather quickly.

For now out is a good place, in that you have no cards left to play.

I was the one who first pointed out that sixes aren't immune to crippling, which you finally acknowledge. Nice try, pal.

Out obviously means something different in your world.

Now if you find the truth condescending, I’m at a loss for a reply, but thanks for the comments on the Dogs. They are far from great, but good enough for me.

Yeah, I figured when I said "I'm out" you'd start strutting like a bantam rooster and you didn't disappoint.

Trotting out George Digweed, playing the "oh, you must not have much experience with doves" card (when you know nothing about me), and misrepresenting what I have said , do nothing to bolster your case. Once again, just because you proclaim something to be the truth doesn't make it so. You have an opinion and I have mine. For something to be characterized as truth, it has to be proven; and neither of us can prove anything. I can admit that, but you can't. So be it.

Feel free to carry on with your bromance with George.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OoooKAY.

Now who played the condescending card with this comment

Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

It appears that you now have decided that snapping a wing bone is fine and doesn't constitute crippling. The goal posts are moving about as fast as the doves fly. Yes a 6 pellet will break a wing at a greater range than an 8 will. Are you happy now?

I'm out. I'm going to shoot 1 ounce of 4's with no choke at all (since it doesn't matter) this season, and I'm not limiting myself to 40 yards anymore. tired I'll show that Digweed fella a thing or two! smile

Now, you want to go to the BA attitude, then have at it. At best it is funny....

As far as Digweed goes, he is someone who has proven himself with his shotgun abilities and knowledge. An expert if you will, and one known around the world. Perhaps you noticed he used 5's-which I didn't rub in your face-for both close and far. He probably knows more than all of us who post here re shotgunning, and I'll take my clues from the likes of him before you or most others.

Now you put me in my place, I hope you feel better for it. I'm out. Now watch how that is done also....

Last edited by battue; 08/15/19.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Kent steel #7’s out of a 20ga this year on opening day. Going to be a warm one again this year.
Good luck gentlemen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pattern your gun. Doves are not difficult to kill, they are difficult to hit.

I shoot AA skeet loads #9 shot from a IC / Mod over under. Late in the season when the birds are flying high and fast I switch to the higher velocity AA trap loads with #8 shot.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.