Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by vapodog
with the exception of a few nostalgia seekers, the days of the lever action is behind us. Once folks learned that making the first shot count is far better than having up to seven quick follow up shots, the bolt action became king of the deer hunting woods......and I suspect will continue to be just that.

My Browning M-65 in .218 bee is my nostalgia gun.....other than that, I can find no practical reason to own a lever gun....even though the old Winchester M-88 has peaked my interest, it's not getting good reviews on another forum.

I grew up with a Marlin M-39-A and a Savage M-99......I later owned a M-94 in .30-30 and a M-92 in .25-20. Then I discovered the M-70 and have never looked back

I respectfully disagree. I hunt often with a bolt gun or Ruger No. 1, but they can’t match my Marlins or my 99’s for ease of carrying and handling when long days on foot in the woods is the plan.

This^^^^, and it's the second best design made for tracking or sneak hunting game in thick timber or brush.

The best legal design, of course, for such work is the semi-auto. Not even real hunters are always able to connect on every shot on running game in such conditions and follow up shots may be needed for misses, marginal hits and wounded wood.

Years ago a preferred challenge was taking a track in desert type country and evaluating the animal and taking what was often a shot at a running buck. Its popularity has fallen due to the lack of good shots but is still practiced by some in the west and southwest.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/13/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Paid about $165 for mine. It works. Made here, kills stuff everywhere.

[Linked Image]

Fiddlin' around with cast bullets on the 50 yard butt. I will admit that to date it shoots J-bullets a bit better.

[Linked Image]

End of the day if you put your shot where it counts...

[Linked Image]

Simply wonderful.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not much more handier when stalking through the woods than a 94 Trapper IMO

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
with the exception of a few nostalgia seekers, the days of the lever action is behind us. Once folks learned that making the first shot count is far better than having up to seven quick follow up shots, the bolt action became king of the deer hunting woods......and I suspect will continue to be just that.
onger
My Browning M-65 in .218 bee is my nostalgia gun.....other than that, I can find no practical reason to own a lever gun....even though the old Winchester M-88 has peaked my interest, it's not getting good reviews on another forum.

I grew up with a Marlin M-39-A and a Savage M-99......I later owned a M-94 in .30-30 and a M-92 in .25-20. Then I discovered the M-70 and have never looked back

That's in another class. A model 94 or a model 336 and a model 92 are all in a different class of firearms than a Model 70. A model 70 is a bolt gun that comes in higher pressure cartridges such as .243,.30-06 and magnum caliber cartridges. They are used for different purposes in different situations. I have both bolt actions and saddle guns. I use saddle gun for short range brush shooting. or in a blind. I use my .270, .30-06, ,243, 7 Mag, and .300 Mag. for longer range such as shooting down a sendero and for bigger game. In my honest opinion you cannot compare a .30-30 with an 06, .270, .243 or a magnum. They are in separate classes.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/13/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Filaman
onger

That's in another class. A model 94 or a model 336 and a model 92 are all in a different class of firearms than a Model 70. A model 70 is a bolt gun that comes in higher pressure cartridges such as .243,.30-06 and magnum caliber cartridges. They are used for different purposes in different situations. I have both bolt actions and saddle guns. I use saddle gun for short range brush shooting. or in a blind. I use my .270, .30-06, ,243, 7 Mag, and .300 Mag. for longer range such as shooting down a sendero and for bigger game. In my honest opinion you cannot compare a .30-30 with an 06, .270, .243 or a magnum. They are in separate classes.

Filaman is "right on".
I hunt two different kinds of geography when I'm hunting in Eastern Washington.
- One large area is pine both small and large, with many areas to stalk, but the average shot is between 50 and 90 yards. The answer here is my model 94 30-30 with a Williams peep sight.
- One other area is large hillsides and draws, with little timber and the shots are between 100 and 300 yards. The answer here is my scoped 30-06.

Each gun has a distinct reason-for-being, and I want to take advantage of it.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If they are equivalent quality to the Brownings manufactured in Miroku, I could be interested.
I would be more inclined to go m94 in the .450 Marlin .
I have a BLR in the .450 and it makes a good saddle rifle, the m95 would work as well....I like leverguns that takedown.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 30-30 is mostly what I hunt with. I think I killed the majority of my big game with one. I am indeed contemplating the purchase of a Miroku model 94 albeit in...…………….25-35 Winchester! So I guess I wouldn't pay that much for a 30-30. laugh

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Why would I pay that kind of money when I already have my father's, manufactured in 1927. It is my common carry rifle for walkabout. Carried it today in fact. I have an aperture sight on it.

I am considering taking it caribou hunting next fall, just for the heck of it. With a bit of sight in practice, it should be good to 200 yards, and I can get that, I think. We took two bulls this year at 100 and about 140, respectively, with a scoped .260.

I do want a 336, too.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Yes I hunt with the 30-30.
No, I won't buy a new one at that price or even close to that.
No the lever gun is not dead. I agree with the statement about the bolt gun not being as nice to carry as a lever gun (or a pump.) Lots of lever users know the value of a one shot kill along with every other experienced hunter. Doesn't everyone carry a few extra rounds? It's pretty convenient to have them in the gun instead of your pocket.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.