Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14050500 08/14/19
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
How do they stack up? Been seeing more advertisements for em, don’t hear much about em.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Was looking at some online reviews today about them. Seem pretty good. But would be interested to read comments on this thread, then maybe give Doug (you all know Doug) a call. Or maybe he'll just chime in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Higher line GPO Passion HD's are right there with alpha quality optics. I know Rick Bin is running one of the 12.5x50's and was very impressed. For the $$$ they are a great find.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Confirmed!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those are the ones I was researching, Rick.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm lusting after a pair of those 10x50 rangefinding binos with the top end HD glass.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I messed with the HD 10x42 for a few days. Build quality is great. They have a premium feel and exceptional eye cups. I think they are about Meostar HD level, glass wise. I know the owners came from Zeiss. If you put the little blue emblem on them, I think they would take a chunk out of the $1k segment. You hear allot about some of the new companies but GPO doesn't seem to be one of them. That was the only thing that steered me away.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 08/14/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If anyone is interested in a GPO Optic, through the end of the month of August, give us a call 516-217-1000 for special pricing

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You should google “passion HD”.... there’s some GREAT reviews... laffin

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, so I was on the road when I saw this thread, and I wanted to put in two cents without actually causing a major auto accident. But I think I'd like to add a bit more. smile

So I have been evaluating GPOs, and jotting notes, and I figured I would post an excerpt of something I plan to post up here pretty soon.

Spoiler alert: GPOs are the BOMB!

"The GPO’s construction is solid, with emphasis on the details that count. Optically, the view is stunning. Color rendition is especially rewarding. Sharpness and resolution are on par with anything, and I mean anything out there. Mechanically, the Passion HD beats some of the best handily. The focusing mechanism is about perfect, a combination of focusing rate and just the right amount of resistance which allowed for easy microadjustment and a huge sweet spot. Of the half dozen binoculars compared informally, none approached the GPO in terms of ease of precise focusing. Similarly, the eyecups were stellar, which is too often not the case with other manufacturers, especially at this price point. The operation screamed premium, with solid locks at preselected eye relief distances that you could rely upon to stay put! Rubber armoring and aesthetics, again, premium all the way.

GPO is the real deal. As the name more than implies, EXPECT a binocular fully on par with German precision optics. If the fact that the optic is made in Japan bothers you, fine. Go and pay double or triple the price for another bino. Just don’t tell me you’re getting anything appreciably better."

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice review, thanks Rick.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya man no worries. In case I was unclear ( smile ), GPOs are something else.

Last edited by RickBin; 08/15/19.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the Passion HD 8.5x50's for my truck Bino so I use them all year long and I've been blown away by the optical/build quality. I currently own Zeiss & Leica Binos and my hunting partner uses Swaro HD SLC and we have compared side by side and it's all to close to call. The value of GPO is un-deniable.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very nice RB. I assume you've compared them to the "vaunted" alphas....Z, L, S ????? Any word when the new bino/rf unit will be available? Thanks, nice write up.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Glad to hear about the quality of the binos. The glass in the Passion 6x 2.5-15x56 was incredible and had notably better resolution, vibrance/color rendition and overall image quality than virtually anything else comparable in the sub-$1500 price range. Unfortunately, the illumination was far too bright on the lowest settings and was not suitable for my intended applications. If GPO ever addresses and corrects this issue, they'll have one of the better low-light scopes available. But 40 minutes after sundown, the illumination became unusable as -- even on the lowest/dimmest setting available -- it glowed like a house afire and negatively affected one's vision. But for the hunter who is regulated by 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown restrictions, it makes a HECK of a low-light performer.

Anyway, I'm not easily impressed by optics, but this one certainly got my attention in a hurry.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Are they making all their stuff in China ? I know that the rangefinding binoculars are.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 08/16/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll believe I'll be giving Doug a call for a price on on 12.5X50s

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Are they making all their stuff in China ? I know that the rangefinding binoculars are.

I can't speak about the specific binoculars or other models of scopes, but the 2.5-15x56 that I had was made in Japan.I had heard production of the 3-9x40 along with some other low-end offerings took place in China but haven't had one in-hand to verify for myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The entry level product is China, the higher line is Japan

Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I'll believe I'll be giving Doug a call for a price on on 12.5X50s

I am in this morning then off for the weekend. My brother Joel as well as Neil will be here while I'm out and you can always speak with them

For members here we will take special care of you on GPO, no worries. Give a call

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.