Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...as described by Brownell's: "...1910, 1924, 1936 Mexican, and the 1924 Yugoslavian..."

Would prefer to find one already sporterized, with a decent stock, where I could rebarrel it and wind up with what I want. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So, there are two distinct categories in those models you mentioned:

The 1910, and 1936 Mexicans are intermediate length but also small ring 98's. The bolts and extractors are unique to these models.

The 1924 FN, and Yugo 24, 24/47, and M48's are Intermediate length large ring 98 actions.

Some are safety breeched so there is more involved in rebarreling than simply screwing a barrel on. Get up to speed on the differences before you buy so you know what's involved.

A Yugo M48:

[Linked Image]

Shoots pretty good at 100 yds:

[Linked Image]

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What rear sight do you have on M48 and how tall is the front ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Yugo...
She shoots pretty good.
I've got the rear sight. Just not mounted.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by John_Boy; 06/26/19.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't overlook the intermediate length LR 98 Heym commercial action.

Semper Fi

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
24/47's are the ones i find for sale these days.

I have one in the 8MM and the few times i have shot it it feeds and ejects slick.

Now i need to determine what to do with it.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WTF
What rear sight do you have on M48 and how tall is the front ?

I made a copy of the XS Sight. I made the front to whatever height I needed to bring it into zero. No idea off hand what height it is. It's about as tall as those Swedish Mauser sight blades that were being sold some years back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you want to rebarrel it too? Post an ad, maybe somebody has what you want. I have a 24/47 heavy barreled 308 that I dont have wood for yet. I built it for my mechanic but then he decided he wanted a 7 mag.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Would a Swede work? My Jim Wisner built 7x57.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a small ring 98 Mexican mauser 243 AI, Boyd's classic stock, lilja SS 10 TWIST barrel with about 200 down the tube, shoots minute of prairie dog at 310 yards with 55 grn bt's. For the right funds I'd be willing to split it up.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by haverluk

Best of the bunch, but I'm partial to the Heym!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've got 4, all 24/47 Yugos. I've sporterized two and will sporter one more. I'm leaving the best one in Mil Surp form. The first one I sportered I had the bolt bent, drilled and tapped, Installed a Timney Trigger, a 3 position safety (don't remember the name, maybe Dewey), and a new aftermarket firing pin spring to improve lock time. I dropped it into a Boyd's Classic Walnut Stock. It wears a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x56 Scope in Leupold (Redfield Style) Dove Tail front with windage screws rear mounts and Leupold one piece base. I had it rebarreled with a Shilen Match SS 26" heavy sporter barrel chambered in .257 AI. It shoots. But if I had it to do over I wouldn't chamber it in Ackley Improved. I would use the RCBS improved ream. The RCBS has a little less shoulder angle but from what I have read, and looking at ballistic tables it doesn't give up anything to the Ackley. And it gives less issues with feeding due to less shoulder angle. However, the Ackley looks cooler and I suspect that has something to do with its popularity.

The second one I sportered I did all the things I did to the first with the exception that I had the rear sight and platform (which is sweated on the barrel) removed and I kept the Mil Surp stepped 8x57 barrel on it. It shoots amazingly well, especially for a 70+ year old military barrel. It's killed deer and hogs. I love the 8x57 cartridge, which gives up ZILCH to the .30-06. I dropped this one into a Boyd's Classic Pepper Laminate Stock.

I would recommend the Yugos because you can get them quite a bit cheaper and they are nothing but a shorter 98. The intermediates are perfect for cartridges derived from the 57mm case which include the 7x57, 8x57, .257 Roberts and 6mm Remington. This case has also been necked down o 6.5 as well. My next build which will be on my last Yugo I will sporter, will be a 6mm Remington. I had one for almost 20 years and loved it. I lost it in a divorce and have wanted another one ever since.

Also, if you want a .260 Remington that beats the Creedmoor the Yugo is your ticket. Some will say the Mauser isn't accurate enough for long range. That's partially true, but if you put in the aftermarket firing pin spring it will speed up the lock time. That's a big chunk of the accuracy issue right there. Then when you're rebarreling spend a little extra and have your gun smith blue print the action. Have everything trued up. The mauser is very rigid and is capable of good accuracy. And the longer length of the Yugo, longer than a 700 short Action which you would buy a .260 Remington in, will allow you to seat bullets out there and take advantage of the larger case over the Creedmoor.

After WWII the 98 Mauser was king of the custom world. They were cheap as dirt and a great platform for sporterizing. But after a few years the supply started drying up and as it did the prices began to go up. Now a 98 isn't cheap and they're getting hard to find. I wouldn't sporterize one if I had it. Nowadays that would be like butchering history, sort of like taking one of the WWII Battleships and making a cruise ship out of it.

After the Iron Curtain came down and the Soviet Union dissolved, thousands of Yugos within became available for export. The Yugo became the 98s replacement as a cheap platform for a custom build. However, their supply is now, after nearly 30 years, beginning to wain also and the prices are going up. Eight or nine years back I got my 4 24/47s for an average of around $150 each. Now I see them over $200. That's still not bad for what you get; and that's a good solid platform to build your dream gun on. But I would get one soon before they skyrocket in price.It won't be long and they'll be $300-$400 each. That's about the same price you could buy a Remington 700. It's only a matter of time. It's time to make the leap if you want one.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/15/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Heym06

You mean the one made by Zastava?

Got a spare currently unused.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Pawn shops and gun shops around here are crawling with Yugo Mausers in varying states of trim. Smithing quality is usually pretty poor, though.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Heym06

You mean the one made by Zastava?

Got a spare currently unused.

Look for a Monkey Wards model 720 or 721 not sure of the correct model number!

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heym intermediates.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have an intermediate , no crest , no writing , just serial # and that 1 in a square . is that Heym's marking? has thumb cut , not drilled or taped

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That would most likely be a Yugoslavian M48BO. The 1 in a square is a Zastava marking. Heym did not make their intermediate actions, rather they purchased them from Zastava. The Eagle over N (Nitro) marking is German and added when Heym built the rifles on the Zastava made action.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My 7x57 was built on a 24/47 action and it has given excellent service. If you don't already know a stock built for a model 96 Mauser can be easily modified to fit these actions with the only real difference being large ring instead of small ring, not a big reach for many of us to open up and glass bed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by z1r
That would most likely be a Yugoslavian M48BO. The 1 in a square is a Zastava marking. Heym did not make their intermediate actions, rather they purchased them from Zastava. The Eagle over N (Nitro) marking is German and added when Heym built the rifles on the Zastava made action.

That I did not know. Thanks for the info, always assumed Heyms were Heyms and Zastava's were not.

Just parted with a Herter's XK3 that was marked Made in Yugoslavia and had the floor plate release in the hasp. Have another in route with the lever release as pictured on you "Heym" actions. Though the inbound one has the Heym style bolt release, different than those pictured.

Kent

Last edited by kfbarter; 01/09/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.