Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14049546 08/14/19
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you were planning a hunt for moose in an area known to have loads of mosquitoes, what repellent would you use?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
6.5 Creedmoor? That seems to be the answer to all hunting questions.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bugger
If you were planning a hunt for moose in an area known to have loads of mosquitoes, what repellent would you use?

Tier approach. If it's not too hot, I like a flannel or wool shirt for thickness, then a mesh bug jacket with a hood over the top. And mittens ... bastards will get in the eddy in the air behind my hands, get onto the back edge of my hand, and bit the [bleep] out of me. Haven't had much trouble with them biting through jeans. If they are real bad, I will wear a "bug bucket" inside the hood of the bug jacket to make a little more space so they can't reach me through the mesh as easily. Generally use permethrin on the bug jacked, hood, and mittens. I carry a small bottle of DEET in case of other stuff failing .... sort of like duct tape except for getting rid of bugs. Finally, in deep summer when the bugs are the worst, I carry a thermacell to clip to the front of my shirt when I'm eating and to lean against one pants leg to create a "smoke zone" so I can drop trou to crap without having my balls chewed off.

(I'm sure you needed to know that, right?)

The bug jacket / "bucket" / mittens probably total around 4 ounces, not a big deal and they work pretty well.

A buddy I hunt / hike with just uses DEET-based repellent and mosquito coils. He uses the coils like I use the thermacell. I told him if he got burned, he's on his own. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thermacell and bug mesh clothing

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Skedaddle mosquito repellent works good & smells good.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait or snow. Works every time.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Permethrin on clothing, applied ahead of time according to directions, not sprayed around last minute.

Picaridin or a slow release deet formula on skin. Both work, picaridin isn't a plasticizer so doesn't screw up finishes on rifle stocks, steering wheels, binoculars, compass, gps, whatever if you're a little careless.

Bonus, combination good for repelling ticks too.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I had purchased Permethrin. I will be adding the other itmes you guys recommended too. Thanks again.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
+1 for both the ThermaCell and permethrin recommendations. I used them both together when I lived and hunted in the Georgia swamps with really good results.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/thermacell-hunting-fishing-camping/

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
deet

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When they are not really bad I use this. Gave a lot away and no complaints but if they are thick its not the best.

https://www.badgerbalm.com/p-21-anti-bug-balm-tins.aspx

For bad times the thermacell at times but rely much more on a Canadian companys bug suit. Top for sure and possibly pants depending.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If mosquitos are out I suspect white sox will be also. Mosquitos don't bother me, but white sox drive me nuts. They love to bite around the knuckles. Cover as much of your skin as possible, and use deet on the fabric. Sometimes a good head net helps some.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
White sox where not bad this year where I was, when they were out the badger bug balm was enough to keep them at bay. Not sure if they get bad.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Factory Permethrin infused clothing (Insect Shield or equivalent) or properly sprayed or soaked Permethrin clothing, boots and glove liners (if not wearing gloves), too.

Picaridin 20% lotion on skin.

Mosquito head net.

Shemagh to seal neck area.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thick pants, thermacell, deet and a Shannons Bug Tamer jacket would be my pick.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to have pics of mosquitoes on my permethrin gloves and shirt trying to bite through it while out fly fishing when I lived in northwestern Maine. The only thing I found truly effective against mosquitoes and black flies is DEET. And that stuff is pretty nasty. It once melted one of my fly boxes when the can I had in the same pocket sprayed it down. Can’t be good for you.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/13/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Picarden repellents are working better for me than DEET. I use both but with the Picarden the mosquitos don't land on you. When hunting I rub diluted Cedar oil on any exposed skin, it works as a cover scent and a repellent. Most of the conifer oils will work. They cover up the other repellent smells. The same for Deeps Woods Off it has a sort of pine or cedar smell to it and I could use that when bow hunting. It is easy to make your own by making a strong tea with the needles I throw this in the wash on the final rinse and throw some fresh needles in the dryer too. It helps cover up that gamey smell I get after a couple of days of hunting and camping. This and campfire smoke helps with mosquitoes too.

For hot weather if you get a bug suit get the two layer type that stays off your skin, they are much more effective. One friend wore a bee keepers suit and that really kept the mosquitoes off. They are more functionally made than some of the mosquito only suits.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
278 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.