Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When assigned an article on a specific cartridge, I start by consulting the latest published data, noting what loads are noted for accuracy (more companies do that these days) along with highest velocity. Have found most rifle handloaders are still into the highest possible velocity, despite a few contrarians.

Then I test all the top-listed powders, with several different bullets. Often I play around with seating depth as well. The tests often agree with published results, but also sometimes don't. But in general, those powders provide the highest odds of a good, consistent load..

John:

Do you also try to look for one with close to maximum case fill (discounting the compressed load data)? Do you find those loads that show 95-99% density the most consistent?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Recommended loads from load manuals are "by far" your best resource IMO

Doing some research on the internet doesn't hurt as long as it's taken with a grain of salt

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shaman
For a guy just starting out, I'd recommend the Hodgdon Reloading Center:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com ...

This site isn't just for people starting out. The Hodgdon website, reloading manuals and other company sites provide information for all reloaders, regardless of experience level. . Good reloaders do not guess. They research first.

Originally Posted by RevMike
John:

Do you also try to look for one with close to maximum case fill (discounting the compressed load data)? Do you find those loads that show 95-99% density the most consistent?

I suspect John looks for 90% plus case fill for almost all rifle loads. They perform the best for regular hunting and target cartridges. The only exceptions can be cast or low power loads for small game.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
For a guy just starting out, I'd recommend the Hodgdon Reloading Center:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

It has loads for all Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders. That's a fairly big universe to get started. I've been into reloading for nearly 2 decades, and a rarely stray out that database.

I also recommend sticking with middle-of-the-road powders for the following reasons:

1) Slower powders will get you into trouble in a hurry if you undercharge
2) Faster powders will get you into trouble if you double-charge.
3) Powders like H4895 are not sensitive to where they sit in the case, how much they fill the case or the ambient temperature.

I also want to give a big +1 for Pet Loads. That's a wonderful reference.

Thank you, shaman, that may prove helpful in my making choices. I'm just looking into reloading, myself, and no one local to teach. I have a lot of reading to do.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AMoore141
Since I'm so full of good questions recently.......what do you look at to decide what powder your gonna load when your developing for a new rifle? are there specific velocities in the books vs case capacity/load density vs pressure estimates using software vs bullet weight?

obviously it can change if its just not shooting well, but ya gotta start somewhere and making a good educated guess saves lots of time and money.

Yes Im somewhat of a newbie, but not a dummy.....lol
And i tried searching similar topics, but didn't see anything to really answer my question.

You gotta get offline, and read the most current handloading manuals available- many.
The when you understand the steps and the language attend a rifle range or two and humbley ask your questions. Researched questions, you might be well on your way to trying it.
Learning this online by watching video's and no personal human interaction- bad
Yes....ask some old guys that are well equipped.
Old guys rule.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
He's got to do a number of things. All of them simple. It's called blended learning,

The old guys here will howl and cuss, but they are not the answer to all his reloading questions. They are merely a part of the whole. Talking to people is important, but the learner has to take some responsibility and do some research on his own.

Reloading manuals are good.
Old guys can be good, but they can have a lifetime of bad habits and faulty information, so be aware that what you are told may not necessarily be infallible or 100% correct.
The Internet has places that are helpful. Bullet and powder companies. Chronograph companies. Articles and papers published by reputable people/organizations. The NRA. SAAMI, CIP, most gun writers.
Certain software is good. Software for rifles scopes. Ballistic software. Even Excel, for recording loads, velocities, data and component supplies. (How many Nosler BT 150s do you have? Powder inventories, etc.)
Web forums can be good places to ask for help. Where can I buy a book/software/magazines about ....?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
I go through as many manuals as available and note the common "most accurate load" listed. If two or three manuals list the same powder that is a good one to start with. I also look for top velocity and close to a 100% fill level. If this also has lower pressure then it is a good choice. I will also pick the temperature tolerant powders first. Then I consider things like good metering, clean burning and availability. A good place to start is with JBs "Loads that work" old and new and "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. Each of these writers have extensive experience and will up any ones learning curve on reloading.

Pretty close to what I do. Problem with some of the older material, like Ken Waters’ Pet Loads, we have a lot more powders and bullets now than he had. JB’s stuff is current.

I spend time here on the Fire, some on other sites, try to find what’s working for others. Then load some and see how they perform.

That’s worked pretty well for me, saves a lot of trial and error work.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

Yes, I also look for at least 90% case-fill--which generally happens when the highest-velocity powders for a particular case/bullet combo are selected.

The exception, of course, is reduced loads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to try a number of powders and always ended up with the powder that came closest to filling the case. So that's where I start unless I want to play around with faster powders.

Another advantage(?) is that with the slower powder you get higher muzzle pressure which makes a bigger boom. Used my 6mm Rem. when hunting with my cousin and his kids one year, hand loads of course. Don's kids were using 243 Win with factory loads. The kids were mightily impressed with the 6mm because with that big boom it must be much more powerful than the piddly little .243. smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When assigned an article on a specific cartridge, I start by consulting the latest published data, noting what loads are noted for accuracy (more companies do that these days) along with highest velocity. Have found most rifle handloaders are still into the highest possible velocity, despite a few contrarians.( like that crazy seafire guy)

Then I test all the top-listed powders, with several different bullets. Often I play around with seating depth as well. The tests often agree with published results, but also sometimes don't. But in general, those powders provide the highest odds of a good, consistent load..

I start out with 4895 and 4198... if it won't shoot those for accuracy, I think the barrel might not be up to snuff...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
https://load-data.nosler.com

This is a good reference. It also has most accurate load, which is often not the highest velocity choice.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by czech1022
https://load-data.nosler.com

This is a good reference. It also has most accurate load, which is often not the highest velocity choice.

Steve's Reloading pages.. stevespages.com

Plenty of reload data.. glad the site is still maintained, after Steve Riccardelli passed away...

a fellow campfire member if people recall ..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.